Wired vs WIRELESS with USB Card

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 26, 2004 6:43:01 PM

Which gives faster speed or is it the same? Is there a distance on either on
how far you FROM HOST COMPUER! go before you begin to loose signal?
October 26, 2004 10:41:49 PM

I am not sure I totally under stand you question.

There is No USB Network, the typical Network is Ethernet based.

There is USB to Ethernet device that let you plug a Network connection to a
USB port but the cable connected to this device is regular CAT5e cable, and
a CAT5e can take you up to 100 meters.

USB Wireless means that the Wireless device is connected to a USB port, but
the Network connection is Wireless Ethernet.

When using USB 1.1. both devices (wired or wireless) would provide a
theoretical Network "Speed" of about 11Mb/sec.

When Using USB 2.0 Devices with a USB capable computer the Wired device
provide the usual wired capacity of the Network.

A special Wireless USB2.0 device (very few are available) with USB2.0 port
would provide 11Mb/sec for 802.11b and 54Mb/Sec. with 802.11g.

The distance of the Wireless is similar to what ever typical Wireless might
yield (Info in the middle of this page:
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html ).

If you want to connect only two computers via the USB ports you need to use
a special device (see Option 3 in this page:
http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html ) using this device limits you to 15'.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Which gives faster speed or is it the same? Is there a distance on either
on
> how far you FROM HOST COMPUER! go before you begin to loose signal?
October 27, 2004 12:17:04 AM

Hi
Basic Wired Network with the right hardware has no distance limitations (one
single wire can go up to 328') at a theoretical "Speed" of 100Mb/sec.
Wireless is a different story (makes very little difference if the card it
is USB or other type).
More info about "Speed" and distance here:

!