Exporting with Premiere Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2005 3:01:57 PM

I've just starting using PP and am loving the editing choices I have.
That's what I really needed it for. But I'm having bad luck in the
exporting to movie department. The software I used before this was
Sony's Screenblast. It had limited editing options but it was great
about exporting a file to mpeg2 and the image looked great when played
back. So far, I've been more than disappointed with PP's exporting
capabilities. I can't seem to export to Mpeg2, just m2v, which creates
separate video and audio files, complicating things. WMP doesn't like
it. It's hit or miss when I try to write to DVD. Can someone educate
me on the best way to get what I need out of PP as far as exporting
video to write to DVD?

More about : exporting premiere pro

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:01:38 PM

m2v and wav files are what Premiere exports for DVD. Most DVD authoring
apps take it as input. If yours doesn't, just export from PP as an .avi
and have your authoring software do the compression.

If I understood your post correctly, you are using Windows Media Player
to create DVDs? If so, you probably should switch to something else, as
WMP is not the place to go for quality or flexibility. Adobe Encore is
my top choice with Sonic DVDIt as a distant second.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:45:24 AM

In article <1104955317.217402.301560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
elorahd@yahoo.com says...
> I've just starting using PP and am loving the editing choices I have.
> That's what I really needed it for. But I'm having bad luck in the
> exporting to movie department. The software I used before this was
> Sony's Screenblast. It had limited editing options but it was great
> about exporting a file to mpeg2 and the image looked great when played
> back. So far, I've been more than disappointed with PP's exporting
> capabilities. I can't seem to export to Mpeg2, just m2v, which creates
> separate video and audio files, complicating things.

Just so you know, these separate files may seem complicating initially,
but it will allow you to re-encode the audio file in ac3 saving you a
lot of space on your DVDs for more video content. It's a good thing.
January 6, 2005 3:54:19 PM

"elorahd" <elorahd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've just starting using PP and am loving the editing choices I have.
> That's what I really needed it for. But I'm having bad luck in the
> exporting to movie department. The software I used before this was
> Sony's Screenblast. It had limited editing options but it was great
> about exporting a file to mpeg2 and the image looked great when played
> back. So far, I've been more than disappointed with PP's exporting
> capabilities. I can't seem to export to Mpeg2, just m2v, which creates
> separate video and audio files, complicating things. WMP doesn't like
> it. It's hit or miss when I try to write to DVD. Can someone educate
> me on the best way to get what I need out of PP as far as exporting
> video to write to DVD?

Evidently Sony Screenblast used the MPEG-2 Program Stream in creating new
files. MPEG-2 Program Stream is a file where the video and audio is
multiplexed together similar to the way many AVI files are constructed. Many
a video editor has been thrown by the fact that some capture systems, like
the Matrox RT.X100, capture the audio and video as separate files. When the
video is imported to the timeline the audio is automatically brought in with
it. This creation of separate audio and video files in the MPEG-2 structure
is referred to a MPEG-2 Elementary Stream, and most of the more advance DVD
authoring programs use these files rather than Program Stream.

Authoring programs that use Program Stream are set up this way for novice's
to the whole idea of DVD. I guess this is because the novice usually wants
to see the MPEG-2 playback to check for quality before writing it to disc,
which is absolutely fine and nothing is wrong with that. When confronted
with Elementary Stream those who are not used to it are thrown by it. There
is nothing wrong with your MPEG-2 files from Premiere Pro.

If you have Premiere Pro I would assume you also have Encore DVD, since even
1394 cards like the ADS Pryo Professional ship with the entire Adobe Suite -
Pro, Encore and Audition. When you import your video into an Encore project
you also have to import the audio as an asset as well. You then create a
timeline for you video by right clicking on it and choosing that option.
Once this timeline is created you drag its' audio file into the timeline as
well. You can then use the onboard Encore monitor to preview you MPEG-2
video file with audio. It's a bit more time consuming than you are used to,
but it would be good for you to get used to the idea of separate video and
audio files. Otherwise, create the Program Stream file and use your old
program to write the discs.

Another way you could avoid having to deal with the separation of the audio
and video is to output your completed project to a new AVI file. Once you do
this you can preview it in WMP and on the timeline in Encore. Encore will
also do the transcoding before writing to disc, and I might add that Encore
is very good at the transcoding, as well as pretty fast at it too. I have
used Encore to create a few hundred projects for my customers since it came
out and each was very good quality.

For a little more information about MPEG file formats and structures visit
my website page on this topic: http://digitalvideosolutions.com/mpeg.htm

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

On 5 Jan 2005 12:01:57 -0800, "elorahd" <elorahd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>capabilities. I can't seem to export to Mpeg2, just m2v, which creates
>separate video and audio files, complicating things. WMP doesn't like
>it. It's hit or miss when I try to write to DVD. Can someone educate
>me on the best way to get what I need out of PP as far as exporting
>video to write to DVD?

Have a look at your settings when you try to render with the Adobe
Media Encoder. See one there for Audio and under it Multiplexer?

Click on Multiplexer and change the setting to DVD (instead of None)
and this will Mpeg 2 files with the video and audio in one file.

John
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:16:22 AM

>If you have Premiere Pro I would assume you also have Encore DVD, since even
>1394 cards like the ADS Pryo Professional ship with the entire Adobe Suite -
>Pro, Encore and Audition. When you import your video into an Encore project
>you also have to import the audio as an asset as well. You then create a
>timeline for you video by right clicking on it and choosing that option.
>Once this timeline is created you drag its' audio file into the timeline as
>well. You can then use the onboard Encore monitor to preview you MPEG-2
>video file with audio. It's a bit more time consuming than you are used to,
>but it would be good for you to get used to the idea of separate video and
>audio files. Otherwise, create the Program Stream file and use your old
>program to write the discs.

I always use MPEG-2 files in Encore DVD which have the audio and video
in the one file and it works well.

Are you suggesting that I would get even better quality video and
audio if I rendered MPEG-2 from Premiere Pro as non-multiplexed files,
and thus created separate video and audio files? If so, I'll try it.

John
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:58:12 PM

I am only saying that Encore seems to be more proficient. Thank you for
pointing out that Encore accepts a file with both audio and video (program
stream) I did not know that. I normally go with what I have gotten used to,
which is the separate audio and video files.

I use ProCoder a lot of the time and tell Encore to not transcode. When
doing everyday transcodes I use a CBR of 6 or 6.5 which then yields an
overall of about 7 with audio. The thing about Encore is that with the
separate audio and video it has the chance to convert the audio to AC3 on
it's own.

I haven't use the export to MPEG-2 through Premiere. Probably because I have
become used to doing encodes through outside programs. When you make these
program stream files I don't know what audio choices you make. If there is
some outside re-encode of any portion then the video can be affected. The
already interleaved audio inside the IBBP frame structure must be extracted
and then re-interleaved (so to speak) in the secondary remux. If the audio
is sent originally as PCM then it is uncompressed while the rest is IBBP
frame compressed. Again, I don't know the particulars of your settings and
cannot know certain things.

Write to me directly and I will attempt to help you further.

!