RD over VPN

connecting via remote desktop over vpn

Have established vpn (Netgear Software to Netgear VPN router) and I can
connect my laptop to a remote desktop session through a dial-up internet
connection ok.

however when I attempt the same connection with the same laptop from behind
my remote Netgear adsl router (has VPN Passthrough) I get the familiar cannot
connect to XP desktop may be too many connections or RD not enabled. The VPN
connection is established fine just the remote desktop connection fails.

The host router is forwarding the RD fine as it works when dialing straight
to the internet so I presume my remote routers firewall is getting in the way
and preventing the RD connection. Any ideas?

You can confirm that you are able to access other network resources
over the VPN OK?

Also make sure you use the private or LAN IP Address for the Remote
Desktop server instead of the name.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:07:03 -0700, "thehood"
<thehood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>connecting via remote desktop over vpn
>
>Have established vpn (Netgear Software to Netgear VPN router) and I can
>connect my laptop to a remote desktop session through a dial-up internet
>connection ok.
>
>however when I attempt the same connection with the same laptop from behind
>my remote Netgear adsl router (has VPN Passthrough) I get the familiar cannot
>connect to XP desktop may be too many connections or RD not enabled. The VPN
>connection is established fine just the remote desktop connection fails.
>
>The host router is forwarding the RD fine as it works when dialing straight
>to the internet so I presume my remote routers firewall is getting in the way
>and preventing the RD connection. Any ideas?

I can certainly access the remote desktop over the VPN connection using
dial-up to the internet from the laptop, and I can create the Vpn connection
from laptop throught the Adsl connection, however cannot access the remote
dektop (the laptop set-up is identical). The only difference is through Adsl
has a firewall router.

I am not sure whether firewall is affecting it, I would have thought once I
had created the vpn my remote network requests would be passing straight
through the local router?

Can't verify what other resources are available. The set-up is at clients
site so I am hoping to go back with some ideas

"thehood" <thehood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can certainly access the remote desktop over the VPN connection using
> dial-up to the internet from the laptop, and I can create the Vpn
connection
> from laptop throught the Adsl connection, however cannot access the remote
> dektop (the laptop set-up is identical). The only difference is through
Adsl
> has a firewall router.
>
> I am not sure whether firewall is affecting it, I would have thought once
> had created the vpn my remote network requests would be passing straight
> through the local router?
>
> Can't verify what other resources are available. The set-up is at clients
> site so I am hoping to go back with some ideas
>

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > You can confirm that you are able to access other network resources
> > over the VPN OK?
> >
> > Also make sure you use the private or LAN IP Address for the Remote
> > Desktop server instead of the name.
> > ---
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> > Windows Home Networking Community -
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:07:03 -0700, "thehood"
> > <thehood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >connecting via remote desktop over vpn
> > >
> > >Have established vpn (Netgear Software to Netgear VPN router) and I can
> > >connect my laptop to a remote desktop session through a dial-up
internet
> > >connection ok.
> > >
> > >however when I attempt the same connection with the same laptop from
behind
> > >my remote Netgear adsl router (has VPN Passthrough) I get the familiar
cannot
> > >connect to XP desktop may be too many connections or RD not enabled.
The VPN
> > >connection is established fine just the remote desktop connection
fails.

> > >The host router is forwarding the RD fine as it works when dialing
straight
> > >to the internet so I presume my remote routers firewall is getting in
the way
> > >and preventing the RD connection. Any ideas?

If you open port 3389 in the router and translate it to the IP address of
the desired PC, you can rd without vpn. Would that not be better? It would
also work a bit quicker.

As long as you use private IP addresses, everything should work when
you are connected over the VPN...

You may want to try the other suggestion given in this thread to more
isolate whether or not this is a Remote Desktop interaction problem or
whether it is VPN related.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:07:01 -0700, "thehood"