Connect to Windows server 2003

Is it possible to use RDC in XP home to connect to windows server
2003?

I was able to connect to Windows 2000 with RDC but then they went and
upgraded and they tell me I need XP pro now.

Is this true or will xp home work?
5 answers Last reply
More about connect windows server 2003

    GM wrote:
    > Is it possible to use RDC in XP home to connect to windows server
    > 2003?

    Yes, if you have Remote Desktop (admin mode) or Terminal Services (app mode,
    with TS licences)

    > I was able to connect to Windows 2000 with RDC but then they went and
    > upgraded and they tell me I need XP pro now.
    >
    > Is this true or will xp home work?

    No, it will work. You'd need XP Pro if you wanted to join a domain, but you
    can use an RD client even on Win9x.

    Anyone?

    This may be a license issue, but not even XP Pro is comp'ed a license
    in TS mode like it was with a Win2K TS...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:29:31 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

    >GM wrote:
    >> Is it possible to use RDC in XP home to connect to windows server
    >> 2003?
    >>

    >Yes, if you have Remote Desktop (admin mode) or Terminal Services (app mode,
    >with TS licences)
    >
    >> I was able to connect to Windows 2000 with RDC but then they went and
    >> upgraded and they tell me I need XP pro now.
    >>
    >> Is this true or will xp home work?
    >
    >No, it will work. You'd need XP Pro if you wanted to join a domain, but you
    >can use an RD client even on Win9x.

    See Lanwench & my post...
    ---

    On 27 Oct 2004 15:46:20 -0700, gee_emm69@hotmail.com (GM) wrote:

    >Anyone?

    Thanks guys, we are getting XP pro and apparently the other users who
    had Xp home and have upgraded to Xp pro can access the server now.
    From all that I have read xp home should work, I am not too fimilar
    with remote networking, all that I did with Xp home and windows 2000
    was enter an ip address into RDC and I was able to connect, is that
    considered joining the domain?

    Another question, I have been a reader of newsgroups for a while but I
    have never posted before. How come this response didnt show up in the
    thread?

    "On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:29:31 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

    >GM wrote:
    >> Is it possible to use RDC in XP home to connect to windows server
    >> 2003?
    >>

    >Yes, if you have Remote Desktop (admin mode) or Terminal Services
    (app mode,
    >with TS licences)
    >
    >> I was able to connect to Windows 2000 with RDC but then they went
    and
    >> upgraded and they tell me I need XP pro now.
    >>
    >> Is this true or will xp home work?
    >
    >No, it will work. You'd need XP Pro if you wanted to join a domain,
    but you
    >can use an RD client even on Win9x.
    >"

Connection Windows Server 2003 Windows XP