best video codec for extremely fast motion

adolfo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

hi,

I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word). whatever object is
moving gets white lines across itself. Happens with different encoding
programs, different video files. I've come to the conclusion that it is
the codecs i have installed. just the way they encode by default. Not
meant for fast motion. i could be wrong.

anyway, that's why i need to know what is the best & free fast motion
video codec out there.

thanks

adolfo wrote:
> hi,
>
> I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
> MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
> join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
> moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word).

I'd say that interlaced is a pretty good word for what you're seeing.
If you're intending to view on a PC, then deinterlace it.

http://100fps.com/

--
-WD

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

adolfo <krisstian@email.com> wrote:

>hi,
>
>I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
>MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
>join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
>moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word). whatever object is
>moving gets white lines across itself. Happens with different encoding
>programs, different video files. I've come to the conclusion that it is
>the codecs i have installed. just the way they encode by default. Not
>meant for fast motion. i could be wrong.
>
>anyway, that's why i need to know what is the best & free fast motion
>video codec out there.
>
>thanks

Try increasing the video bitrate setting.

Regards Brian

What you're seeing is the interlacing properties necessary for proper TV
display. If you intend to watch your videos on a TV, leave them alone.
They will look perfect on a TV. On a computer screen, they will have lines
through them on fast motion, but on TV they will look perfect. If you never
want to watch them on TV, then choose a different codec when you capture;
one that de-interlaces the video, such as mpeg1. Alternately, get an
program like WinDVD 5 that will play the interlaced file as if it were
de-interlaced (progressive mode).

Sanman

"adolfo" <krisstian@email.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
> MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
> join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
> moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word). whatever object is
> moving gets white lines across itself. Happens with different encoding
> programs, different video files. I've come to the conclusion that it is
> the codecs i have installed. just the way they encode by default. Not
> meant for fast motion. i could be wrong.
>
> anyway, that's why i need to know what is the best & free fast motion
> video codec out there.
>
> thanks

adolfo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

Brian wrote:
> adolfo <krisstian@email.com> wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
>>MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
>>join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
>>moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word). whatever object is
>>moving gets white lines across itself. Happens with different encoding
>>programs, different video files. I've come to the conclusion that it is
>>the codecs i have installed. just the way they encode by default. Not
>>meant for fast motion. i could be wrong.
>>
>>anyway, that's why i need to know what is the best & free fast motion
>>video codec out there.
>>
>>thanks
>

> Try increasing the video bitrate setting.
>
> Regards Brian

Brian thanks for replying. i dont think it's bitrate problem because i
captured it at DVD quality, something around 8000 Kbps.

adolfo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

Will Dormann wrote:
> adolfo wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome
>> in MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now
>> when i join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video
>> which is moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word).
>

> I'd say that interlaced is a pretty good word for what you're seeing.
> If you're intending to view on a PC, then deinterlace it.
>
> http://100fps.com/

Will, thanks for replying. I've looked for an option to deinterlace
with Virtualdub with a few different video codecs, but nothing.
couldn't find it.

adolfo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

Sanman wrote:
> What you're seeing is the interlacing properties necessary for proper TV
> display. If you intend to watch your videos on a TV, leave them alone.
> They will look perfect on a TV. On a computer screen, they will have lines
> through them on fast motion, but on TV they will look perfect. If you never
> want to watch them on TV, then choose a different codec when you capture;
> one that de-interlaces the video, such as mpeg1. Alternately, get an
> program like WinDVD 5 that will play the interlaced file as if it were
> de-interlaced (progressive mode).
>
> Sanman
>

> "adolfo" <krisstian@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>hi,
>>
>>I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome in
>>MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now when i
>>join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video which is
>>moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word). whatever object is
>>moving gets white lines across itself. Happens with different encoding
>>programs, different video files. I've come to the conclusion that it is
>>the codecs i have installed. just the way they encode by default. Not
>>meant for fast motion. i could be wrong.
>>
>>anyway, that's why i need to know what is the best & free fast motion
>>video codec out there.
>>
>>thanks

Sanman, thanks for the detailed explanation. I dont plan on watching it
on TV, onyl PC. I recorded it as an MPEG, not sure if MPEG1 or other,
though.

thanks again, i'll get back to you with my results.

-Adolfo

adolfo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

Will Dormann wrote:
> adolfo wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I recorded some car races from NTSC TV signal, the quality is awesome
>> in MPEG. However, i had to split to file into several pieces & now
>> when i join them & try to save with VirtualDub, anything in the video
>> which is moving gets interlaced (for lack of a better word).
>

> I'd say that interlaced is a pretty good word for what you're seeing.
> If you're intending to view on a PC, then deinterlace it.
>
> http://100fps.com/

very informative website Will, thank you.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:19:42 -0500, adolfo <krisstian@email.com>
wrote:

>i dont think it's bitrate problem

You described it as "interlaced", and probably that's exactly the
problem, namely: that mpeg-2 supports interlaced, but Avi doesn't.
When watched on TV, it should look alright, but not on the computer
monitor.