Extract audio from jpg (created by a Kodak camera) - Conti..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 27, 2005 1:06:56 PM

"NetWrench" wrote in message

>> Folks,

>> Wondering if there are any applications that will batch extract
>> embedded audio from jpg files. There are no seperate files,
>> unless using the very slow serial cable, which I abandoned >>years ago, in favor of a CF reader.

>> I have scads of pictures, and have used EasyShare and Picture >> Easy, and it was a one by one event. I will try the latest
>> Kodak creation just to be sure the newer version doesn't offer >> this.

> It seemed that HP did the same thing for some of their cameras, >>so I would think there would be software somewhere.

> Ronald Baird Apr 8, 4:02 pm show options
>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras
> From: "Ronald Baird" <ronba...@kodak.com>
> Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:02:09 -0400
> Subject: Re: Extract audio from jpg (created by a Kodak camera)
>
> Greetings,
>
> If your reference is to the sounds embedded in a Kodak DC
> camera, i.e. 290, you can do so by trying the following.

> 1. Install the DC290 software (if you do not have try the CCS
> file from Kodak EasyShare Software - not sure if that will work > with the old camera?)
> 2. Access the drive letter that corresponds with the camera. If > you have a card reader use it and double click on the card
> reader icon.
> 3. Highlight an image icon that has a sound file embedded in the > jpeg header and right click on it. Then left click on
> [Properties].
> 4. Click on the [Picture] tab and then click on [Extract].
> 5. Save the file to the computer. The wav file will take on the > name of the given image file name.
>
> Let me know if this works for you. If not we can move ahead from > there.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Ron,

Thanks for the reply, was out of the loop for a while.

I prefer to do this a a large group of files, rather than one at a
time, if possible. What I'm looking for an application that will tell
me if there is a sound file embedded in the file (just as Picture Easy
did, but be able to "Extract all". I'm hoping to be able to recover
all the audio from many years that is in these files. I like Kodak,
and am leaning towards their cameras when I purchase the replacement
for this old one (from 1999), but proprietary jiggery will play into
the requirements of what not to have.

(yes Virginia, it is possible to have a sound file in a jpg file,
though one could argue that it's not strict to the jpg standard format,
thus not a "pure" jpg file. They view and import like any other jpg).

NW

note: included previous postings since this one is disconnected from
the original thread.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:36:45 PM

Greetings NetWrench,

Yes, you can extract the files, Net, but not sure you can do it in a batch?
I suppose you could write a program to do this, but there is no program I
know of to do that. If you want to review one at a time, then

In this process you would need to have old programs installed. For example,

1. Install the v1.3 DC290 software
2. Access the drive letter that corresponds with the card reader and double
click.
3. Highlight an image icon that has a sound file embedded in the jpeg header
and right click on it. Then left click on [Properties].
4. Click on the [Picture] tab and then click on [Extract].
5. Save the file to the computer. The wav file will take on the name of the
given image file name.

Once you have them, you can use an audio program to extract and save for use
as you please later on. It will take some work but may well be worth it.
If your reference is to extracting sounds from other files, let me know.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!