PLEXTOR 712A crashes machine

Pickle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

I have read the FAQ and searched. Nothing I do helps.

I got a PLEXTOR PX712A for Christmas. I installed it into my AMD Athlon
1gig machine with 512 RAM and 100 gig HDD. It crashes my WIMXP when I
copy from it or write to it.
It crashes a few minutes into the operation.

Things I have done to try to find the problem:

Reinstall WINXP.
Disconnect all drives so all I have left is 1 HDD as master on IDE1 and
the PLEXTOR as master on IDE2.
Update the PLEXTOR firmware.
Install Windows updates and Service Pack2.
Disable all startup applications.
Change jumper on PLEXTOR for the DMA thingie.
Run PLEXTOR self diagnosis. It passed.
Use NERO and PLEXTOOLS to write. Same prob on both.
Comtemplate editing the BIOS.
Contemplate getting a new computer.

In addition to the above, the disc that came with my drive doesn't work.
Roxio won't install. It says that it cannot read the data.cab file. Is
there something on this disc that MUST be installed for the drive to
work. I wouldn't think so but....

I called PLEXTOR about the faulty disc but they never called back. I'd
like to get it replaced.
Please help with ideas. I cannot get this thing to stop crashing my machine.
HELP
and
Thanks

Have you had a DVD burner working before? Have you tried to install
the Plextor on another machine. Sometimes if you take the drive back
to where it was purchased they will trouble shoot it. That is one of
the reasons I like Frys because you can get testing done easily.
Unless you troubleshoot this way you probably will never know whether
you have a bad Plextor or a conflict with your computer (not likely).
Trying the burner on another computer would be the best way and surest
way. There is also the possibility of a bad drive and not a bad disc.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:07:47 GMT, pickle <pickle@iddb.net> wrote:

>I have read the FAQ and searched. Nothing I do helps.
>
>I got a PLEXTOR PX712A for Christmas. I installed it into my AMD Athlon
>1gig machine with 512 RAM and 100 gig HDD. It crashes my WIMXP when I
>copy from it or write to it.
>It crashes a few minutes into the operation.
>
>Things I have done to try to find the problem:
>
>Reinstall WINXP.
>Disconnect all drives so all I have left is 1 HDD as master on IDE1 and
>the PLEXTOR as master on IDE2.
>Update the PLEXTOR firmware.
>Install Windows updates and Service Pack2.
>Disable all startup applications.
>Change jumper on PLEXTOR for the DMA thingie.
>Run PLEXTOR self diagnosis. It passed.
>Use NERO and PLEXTOOLS to write. Same prob on both.
>Comtemplate editing the BIOS.
>Contemplate getting a new computer.
>

>In addition to the above, the disc that came with my drive doesn't work.
>Roxio won't install. It says that it cannot read the data.cab file. Is
>there something on this disc that MUST be installed for the drive to
>work. I wouldn't think so but....
>
>I called PLEXTOR about the faulty disc but they never called back. I'd
>like to get it replaced.
>Please help with ideas. I cannot get this thing to stop crashing my machine.
>HELP
>and
>Thanks

The exact error message should give some idea of where exactly the
problem is.

The error message should be accessable in WinXp from the Administrator
maintenance menus.

Look at the windows device manager section and check that there are no
problem devices and no addressing conflicts.

You might need to download the newest drivers for the device.

Try opening the cab file with winzip. That will show if the file is
corrupt. If you have another drive try reading the disk on it.