Remote Connection Basics

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

Hey Michael, 3389 is the correct port. You need to set up your Linksys router
to foward that port to correct IP address inside your network. Just go to the
Linksys web site. They have all the steps there.

I recommend for you to set up your computer with a static private IP
address inside your private network and enable Remote Desktop in your
computer.

Make sure to select a user from you local user database and use a strong
password. After you configure all of that. All you need to know it's your
public IP address to establish a connection. If are using DSL or Cable Modem
more then likely you have a Dynimic IP address. On that issue you are on you
own.

Use the built XP client if you are running XP. Otherwise go to Microsft
download and get the RDP client from them. Once you have the client going
just type the correct Public IP address and enter you username and password.
Good Luck !!!!!

"Michael" wrote:

> I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
> home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
> somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
> connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
> the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

I struggled mightily with this until I found the page below:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-remote-desktop-overview.html
Read carefully, especially the part about changing port 80. I was
immediately successful with these instructions.

"Michael" wrote:

> I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
> home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
> somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
> connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
> the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much and wish me luck.

"Hugh" wrote:

> I struggled mightily with this until I found the page below:
> http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-remote-desktop-overview.html
> Read carefully, especially the part about changing port 80. I was
> immediately successful with these instructions.
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
> > home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
> > somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
> > connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
> > the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

You're welcome. Write back if you have any problems. Remember, your IP
address will change from time to time.

"mnudel" wrote:

> This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much and wish me luck.
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > I struggled mightily with this until I found the page below:
> > http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-remote-desktop-overview.html
> > Read carefully, especially the part about changing port 80. I was
> > immediately successful with these instructions.
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
> > > home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
> > > somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
> > > connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
> > > the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

I think thats where the dyndns.org comes in if Im not mistaken.

"Hugh" wrote:

> You're welcome. Write back if you have any problems. Remember, your IP
> address will change from time to time.
>
> "mnudel" wrote:
>
> > This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much and wish me luck.
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> > > I struggled mightily with this until I found the page below:
> > > http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-remote-desktop-overview.html
> > > Read carefully, especially the part about changing port 80. I was
> > > immediately successful with these instructions.

If your using the web based method you also need to forward TCP Port 80 (IIS), in addition to TCP
Port 3389 (RDP).

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_bgek.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_iriq.asp

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Kurkmatronic" <Kurkmatronic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Michael, 3389 is the correct port. You need to set up your Linksys router
> to foward that port to correct IP address inside your network. Just go to the
> Linksys web site. They have all the steps there.
>
> I recommend for you to set up your computer with a static private IP
> address inside your private network and enable Remote Desktop in your
> computer.
>
> Make sure to select a user from you local user database and use a strong
> password. After you configure all of that. All you need to know it's your
> public IP address to establish a connection. If are using DSL or Cable Modem
> more then likely you have a Dynimic IP address. On that issue you are on you
> own.
>
> Use the built XP client if you are running XP. Otherwise go to Microsft
> download and get the RDP client from them. Once you have the client going
> just type the correct Public IP address and enter you username and password.
> Good Luck !!!!!
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
>> home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
>> somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
>> connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
>> the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

Are you saying that within the linksys router forwarding needs to occur for
both port 80 and 3389 to the same internal IP address?

If I can review this process please correct me at any point.
Step 1 Register for a Dynamic DNS at www.dyndns.org
Step 2 Download a client to update the dynamic DNS to link the name with
the changing IP address.
Step 3 Assign within the Linksys router a static IP within the network.
Step 4 Institute the port forwarding on the linksys router for both ports
80 and 3389 to the assigned static IP address
Step 5 Open any software firewall ports to both port 80 and 3389
Step 6 Make sure Windows XP firewall is set to allow exceptions.

Did I miss anything. Yesturday I couldn't tell you an IP address from a
postal address. Thanks for your help

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> If your using the web based method you also need to forward TCP Port 80 (IIS), in addition to TCP
> Port 3389 (RDP).
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_bgek.asp
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_iriq.asp
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Kurkmatronic" <Kurkmatronic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey Michael, 3389 is the correct port. You need to set up your Linksys router
> > to foward that port to correct IP address inside your network. Just go to the
> > Linksys web site. They have all the steps there.
> >
> > I recommend for you to set up your computer with a static private IP
> > address inside your private network and enable Remote Desktop in your
> > computer.
> >
> > Make sure to select a user from you local user database and use a strong
> > password. After you configure all of that. All you need to know it's your
> > public IP address to establish a connection. If are using DSL or Cable Modem
> > more then likely you have a Dynimic IP address. On that issue you are on you
> > own.
> >
> > Use the built XP client if you are running XP. Otherwise go to Microsft
> > download and get the RDP client from them. Once you have the client going
> > just type the correct Public IP address and enter you username and password.
> > Good Luck !!!!!
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to setup my computer, so I can connect to it from away from my
> >> home. It's connected to the internet thru a linksys router. I've heard
> >> somethign about port 3389. I've followed windows XP's directions for web
> >> connect and internet information services, but I'm still unable to connect to
> >> the computer. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

Step 3 is to assign a static IP on the desktop PC you want to connect to...something outside the
range of DHCP assigned IPs from the Linksys router. Normally below 192.168.1.100... For example
192.168.1.10 would work...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

--

"mnudel" <mnudel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you saying that within the linksys router forwarding needs to occur for
> both port 80 and 3389 to the same internal IP address?
>
> If I can review this process please correct me at any point.
> Step 1 Register for a Dynamic DNS at www.dyndns.org
> Step 2 Download a client to update the dynamic DNS to link the name with
> the changing IP address.
> Step 3 Assign within the Linksys router a static IP within the network.
> Step 4 Institute the port forwarding on the linksys router for both ports
> 80 and 3389 to the assigned static IP address
> Step 5 Open any software firewall ports to both port 80 and 3389
> Step 6 Make sure Windows XP firewall is set to allow exceptions.
>
> Did I miss anything. Yesturday I couldn't tell you an IP address from a
> postal address. Thanks for your help
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> If your using the web based method you also need to forward TCP Port 80 (IIS), in addition to TCP
>> Port 3389 (RDP).
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_bgek.asp
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_iriq.asp
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Kurkmatronic" <Kurkmatronic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey Michael, 3389 is the correct port. You need to set up your Linksys router
>> > to foward that port to correct IP address inside your network. Just go to the
>> > Linksys web site. They have all the steps there.
>> >
>> > I recommend for you to set up your computer with a static private IP
>> > address inside your private network and enable Remote Desktop in your
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > Make sure to select a user from you local user database and use a strong
>> > password. After you configure all of that. All you need to know it's your
>> > public IP address to establish a connection. If are using DSL or Cable Modem
>> > more then likely you have a Dynimic IP address. On that issue you are on you
>> > own.
>> >
>> > Use the built XP client if you are running XP. Otherwise go to Microsft
>> > download and get the RDP client from them. Once you have the client going
>> > just type the correct Public IP address and enter you username and password.
>> > Good Luck !!!!!

Would I leave DHCP enabled. Do I have to assign IPs to all computers in my
network or just the one I am forwarding to.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Step 3 is to assign a static IP on the desktop PC you want to connect to...something outside the
> range of DHCP assigned IPs from the Linksys router. Normally below 192.168.1.100... For example
> 192.168.1.10 would work...
>
> http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "mnudel" <mnudel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Are you saying that within the linksys router forwarding needs to occur for
> > both port 80 and 3389 to the same internal IP address?
> >
> > If I can review this process please correct me at any point.
> > Step 1 Register for a Dynamic DNS at www.dyndns.org
> > Step 2 Download a client to update the dynamic DNS to link the name with
> > the changing IP address.
> > Step 3 Assign within the Linksys router a static IP within the network.
> > Step 4 Institute the port forwarding on the linksys router for both ports
> > 80 and 3389 to the assigned static IP address
> > Step 5 Open any software firewall ports to both port 80 and 3389
> > Step 6 Make sure Windows XP firewall is set to allow exceptions.
> >
> > Did I miss anything. Yesturday I couldn't tell you an IP address from a
> > postal address. Thanks for your help
> >
> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> >> If your using the web based method you also need to forward TCP Port 80 (IIS), in addition to TCP
> >> Port 3389 (RDP).
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_bgek.asp
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_iriq.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>
> >> "Kurkmatronic" <Kurkmatronic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

No, I use a mixed DHCP/static IP scheme on my home LAN, ie. static for desktops and DHCP assigned
for wireless/wired guest devices like laptops and PocketPCs... As long as the static IP addresses
are outside the possible range of DHCP assigned IP addresses your good to go... In my case my DHCP
server assigns IP addresses starting at 192.168.11.100 and goes up (I use a Buffalo WBR-G54
router/wireless access point). I assign static IP addresses starting at 192.168.11.11 for my fixed
nodes.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

If I remember correctly, my old Linksys BEFSR41's DHCP server started at 192.168.1.100. That is
configurable in the router administration pages...Check your Users Manual of the Linksys support
pages for help...and the link I pointed you to earlier...

--

> Would I leave DHCP enabled. Do I have to assign IPs to all computers in my
> network or just the one I am forwarding to.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Step 3 is to assign a static IP on the desktop PC you want to connect to...something outside the
>> range of DHCP assigned IPs from the Linksys router. Normally below 192.168.1.100... For example
>> 192.168.1.10 would work...
>>
>> http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "mnudel" <mnudel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Are you saying that within the linksys router forwarding needs to occur for
>> > both port 80 and 3389 to the same internal IP address?
>> >
>> > If I can review this process please correct me at any point.
>> > Step 1 Register for a Dynamic DNS at www.dyndns.org
>> > Step 2 Download a client to update the dynamic DNS to link the name with
>> > the changing IP address.
>> > Step 3 Assign within the Linksys router a static IP within the network.
>> > Step 4 Institute the port forwarding on the linksys router for both ports
>> > 80 and 3389 to the assigned static IP address
>> > Step 5 Open any software firewall ports to both port 80 and 3389
>> > Step 6 Make sure Windows XP firewall is set to allow exceptions.
>> >
>> > Did I miss anything. Yesturday I couldn't tell you an IP address from a
>> > postal address. Thanks for your help

I set my system up just like that resource (which was very clear and easy to
follow indicated) and when I got to work I logged right into my home computer
without a glitch. Thanks alot. Now I still have a problem going the other
way.
At work our network is headed by a cisco 675 dsl modem router. We have
static local ip addresses but I have no idea how to access the router to
forward 3389 to my local ip address. Anyone work with the 675 know how to
access it and whether its possible to forward from 3389 with that unit.
Mitch
"mnudel" wrote:

> I think thats where the dyndns.org comes in if Im not mistaken.
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome. Write back if you have any problems. Remember, your IP
> > address will change from time to time.
> >
> > "mnudel" wrote:
> >
> > > This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much and wish me luck.

I have no experience with this router, but the FAQ is here, and should get
you started:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/675_faq.shtml#q3