How to unwind a DVD picture disk? Retreive JPG's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2005 3:02:58 PM

I have a family picture DVD someone has sent me. This is where they
have used a program to take 200 JPGs and put them on a slideshow
format for your home DVD player.

This is great for grandma to view hundreds of pictures for the pennies
it costs to burn a DVD but I want to take these 4 second/picture slide
show and get JPGs from them. I want to organize them on my HD and
print out some pictures.

Any simple way of doing this? The person who authored the DVD didn't
chose the option to leave the JPG on the disk.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:17:41 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:02:58 -0600, Johnathon Winters
<winter@notsummer.entrio> wrote:

>I have a family picture DVD someone has sent me. This is where they
>have used a program to take 200 JPGs and put them on a slideshow
>format for your home DVD player.
>
>This is great for grandma to view hundreds of pictures for the pennies
>it costs to burn a DVD but I want to take these 4 second/picture slide
>show and get JPGs from them. I want to organize them on my HD and
>print out some pictures.
>
>Any simple way of doing this? The person who authored the DVD didn't
>chose the option to leave the JPG on the disk.

If no jpegs are on the disk, all you are left with is a video stream
containing thousands of frames of very low resolution images. You can
capture these but the resulting image will be far too low-rez to
print. (less than 1Mpixel).

Contact the person who authored the disk and ask him for a CD
containing the full-size JPEGs.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

> it costs to burn a DVD but I want to take these 4 second/picture slide
> show and get JPGs from them. I want to organize them on my HD and
> print out some pictures.
>
> Any simple way of doing this? The person who authored the DVD didn't
> chose the option to leave the JPG on the disk.

Any DVD player for the PC with software like WinDVD, CyberDVD, etc,
can all easily take snapshots of the screen at any time. Simply click
the button to take a snapshot.

---

HOWEVER - keep in mind the DVD format is limited to about a 0.5
Megapixel screen capture and is far, far lower in quality than a
standard 2-7 megapixel consumer digital image. In other words, you're
picture grab will look okay on screen, but try to print it out as a 4x6"
print or larger and it will look very pixellated, grainy, and poor in
comparision to a real photo. Here's where getting the JPGs originals is
the best way to go if you want the highest quality.

---

In the future, save yourself the trouble when you take digital camera
pictures! Don't convert them to a DVD Video format!!!! Instead, simply
burn them as original JPEG image files directly to any CD or DVD disc,
and PLAY THEM in a DVD player that can display JPEG/Picture CDs as a
slideshow!

(eg. Philips DVP642 - highly recommended - see www.fatwallet.com/forums/
-> search Hot Deals forum for "DVP642" for the longest thread on this
unit -- this baby plays just about every popular format on the planet
well; available at walmart.com amazon.com clubmac.com target.com etc for
<$70)

These Picture CD/JPEG compatible DVD players don't require any
conversion at all, display the images at their highest quality on TV,
and retain the full image information of the original files so you can
print out beautiful prints anytime in the future. They are also the
idea way to archive photo images - no conversion at all are done to the
originals.

If you want fancy menus and DVD transitions, you can always author a
DVD Video disc from these images (that'll be stored in the standard
VIDEO_TS folder on the disc) AND AlSO place a copy of the original JPEG
files in any other folder on the SAME DVD -- this retains the best of
both worlds.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:32:04 PM

If the jpeg files are not on the DVD the best thing you can do is play
the DVD on a computer and screen capture the player window. There are
a couple of players that give you an option of saving the current
display.

If you can get at least 640 x 480 image size you can get decent 4" x 6"
prints from Walmart or other stores with the Kodak print kiosk.
These are dye sublimation prints that will look better than your
typical inkjet.

You may also be able to resample them to a higher resolution in a paint
program.
!