Unable to reconnect to Remote Desktop (Windows XP SP2)

Hi,

But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
is).

I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).

The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.

The most likely causer for this error are:
1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
computer.
3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.

1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.

I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
don't seem to be any other people with this problem.

Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here

My System
P4 2,4 Ghz
1024 Mb
4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection

Installed software
Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
Zonealarm (Free edition)
AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)
17 answers Last reply
More about unable reconnect remote desktop windows

    I may have the same problem. I am only able to connect to my main, admin
    logon while my system is already logged on to the same user account. I can't
    log on to Remote Desktop while the sytem is at the welcome screen with no
    active users. And once I've signed off of my main user account, I can't log
    back in. No errors. Often it successfully connects just long enough to flash
    a glimpse of the desktop, then it disconnects. Any suggestions?

    "wes_55" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    > errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    > time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    > unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    > is).
    >
    > I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    >

    > The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    >
    > The most likely causer for this error are:
    > 1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    > 2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    > computer.
    > 3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    >
    > 1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    > 2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    > 3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    >
    > I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    > don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    >
    > Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    >
    > My System
    > P4 2,4 Ghz
    > 1024 Mb
    > 4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    >
    > Installed software
    > Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    > Zonealarm (Free edition)
    > AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    > Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

    Note that 'ping'-ing a computer doesn't mean that it can communicate
    with remote desktop.

    What happens if you try to connect manually with telnet
    (i.e., telnet serveripaddress 3389)? Do you connect (and get a black
    screen) or does your connection timeout?
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On 27 Oct 2004 06:03:33 -0700, wes_55@yahoo.com (wes_55) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    >errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    >time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    >unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    >is).
    >
    >I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    >

    >The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    >
    >The most likely causer for this error are:
    >1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    >2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    >computer.
    >3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    >
    >1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    >2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    >3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    >
    >I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    >don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    >
    >Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    >
    >My System
    >P4 2,4 Ghz
    >1024 Mb
    >4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    >
    >Installed software
    >Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    >Zonealarm (Free edition)
    >AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    >Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

    telnet closes almost immediately after displaying "connecting to
    serveripaddress...". It's just about how fast a second RD session closes.
    What does this mean?

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Note that 'ping'-ing a computer doesn't mean that it can communicate
    > with remote desktop.
    >
    > What happens if you try to connect manually with telnet
    > (i.e., telnet serveripaddress 3389)? Do you connect (and get a black
    > screen) or does your connection timeout?
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On 27 Oct 2004 06:03:33 -0700, wes_55@yahoo.com (wes_55) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    > >errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    > >time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    > >unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    > >is).
    > >
    > >I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    > >

    > >The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    > >
    > >The most likely causer for this error are:
    > >1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    > >2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    > >computer.
    > >3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    > >
    > >1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    > >2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    > >3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    > >
    > >I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    > >don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    > >
    > >Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    > >
    > >My System
    > >P4 2,4 Ghz
    > >1024 Mb
    > >4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    > >
    > >Installed software
    > >Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    > >Zonealarm (Free edition)
    > >AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    > >Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

    When I use telnet to connect I get a black screen.

    I'm pretty sure it isn't a connectivity issue. I am able to connect
    the first time. The problem lies in reconnecting. And I've double
    checked yesterday, when I log of there is nobody logged on anymore.

    I get the feeling that while the user is logged of remote desktop
    doesn't notice or something like that. Locally everything works fine

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<eij0o09qsoo5h9q9fvtjsdhohtj79vlttt@4ax.com>...
    > Note that 'ping'-ing a computer doesn't mean that it can communicate
    > with remote desktop.
    >
    > What happens if you try to connect manually with telnet
    > (i.e., telnet serveripaddress 3389)? Do you connect (and get a black
    > screen) or does your connection timeout?
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On 27 Oct 2004 06:03:33 -0700, wes_55@yahoo.com (wes_55) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    > >errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    > >time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    > >unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    > >is).
    > >
    > >I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    > >

    > >The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    > >
    > >The most likely causer for this error are:
    > >1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    > >2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    > >computer.
    > >3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    > >
    > >1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    > >2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    > >3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    > >
    > >I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    > >don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    > >
    > >Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    > >
    > >My System
    > >P4 2,4 Ghz
    > >1024 Mb
    > >4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    > >
    > >Installed software
    > >Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    > >Zonealarm (Free edition)
    > >AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    > >Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

    By the way when useing telnet it automaticly exits after a few seconds

    "wes_55" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >computer.
    > > >3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    > > >
    > > >1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    > > >2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    > > >3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    > > >
    > > >I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    > > >don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    > > >
    > > >Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    > > >
    > > >My System
    > > >P4 2,4 Ghz
    > > >1024 Mb
    > > >4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    > > >
    > > >Installed software
    > > >Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    > > >Zonealarm (Free edition)
    > > >AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    > > >Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

    Sorry for the chaotic posting, but I've just noticed something else. I can
    connect useing telnet. I'm getting a black screen. But when I press a (any)
    button it exits

    I've also tried reconnecting from diferent windows versions (2000, XP 2003
    server). It doesn't seem to make any difference

    "Dave Juan" <Dave Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I may have the same problem. I am only able to connect to my main,
    > admin logon while my system is already logged on to the same user
    > account. I can't log on to Remote Desktop while the sytem is at the
    > welcome screen with no active users. And once I've signed off of my
    > main user account, I can't log back in. No errors. Often it
    > successfully connects just long enough to flash a glimpse of the
    > desktop, then it disconnects.

    One possible cause for this is out-of-date video drivers on the RDP Server
    (not on the client). This is often seen with old nVidia drivers. Try
    updating to the latest release of video drivers for the video card on the
    RDP server.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Your remote desktop is closing the connection.. That is not a normal
    (or expected response). This means that at least something is
    listening, but terminates the connection...

    Have you checked the event log to see if there was a Terminal Service
    error logged? I can attribute this issue is to a process (in this
    case, remote desktop) failing to start/crash.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:09:02 -0700, Dave Juan
    <DaveJuan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >telnet closes almost immediately after displaying "connecting to
    >serveripaddress...". It's just about how fast a second RD session closes.
    >What does this mean?
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Note that 'ping'-ing a computer doesn't mean that it can communicate
    >> with remote desktop.
    >>
    >> What happens if you try to connect manually with telnet
    >> (i.e., telnet serveripaddress 3389)? Do you connect (and get a black
    >> screen) or does your connection timeout?
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>
    >> On 27 Oct 2004 06:03:33 -0700, wes_55@yahoo.com (wes_55) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    >> >errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    >> >time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    >> >unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    >> >is).
    >> >
    >> >I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    >> >

    >> >The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    >> >
    >> >The most likely causer for this error are:
    >> >1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    >> >2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    >> >computer.
    >> >3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    >> >
    >> >1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    >> >2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    >> >3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    >> >
    >> >I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    >> >don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    >> >
    >> >Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    >> >
    >> >My System
    >> >P4 2,4 Ghz
    >> >1024 Mb
    >> >4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    >> >
    >> >Installed software
    >> >Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    >> >Zonealarm (Free edition)
    >> >AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    >> >Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    That means that remote desktop is working properly...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:03:01 -0700, wes_55
    <wes55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Sorry for the chaotic posting, but I've just noticed something else. I can
    >connect useing telnet. I'm getting a black screen. But when I press a (any)
    >button it exits
    >
    >I've also tried reconnecting from diferent windows versions (2000, XP 2003
    >server). It doesn't seem to make any difference
    >
    >"wes_55" wrote:
    >
    >> By the way when useing telnet it automaticly exits after a few seconds
    >>
    >> "wes_55" wrote:
    >>
    >> > When I use telnet to connect I get a black screen.
    >> >
    >> > I'm pretty sure it isn't a connectivity issue. I am able to connect
    >> > the first time. The problem lies in reconnecting. And I've double
    >> > checked yesterday, when I log of there is nobody logged on anymore.
    >> >
    >> > I get the feeling that while the user is logged of remote desktop
    >> > doesn't notice or something like that. Locally everything works fine

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Has anybody solved this. This is VERY annoying.
    I get the EXACT same behavior: I can connect using TS to my Windows XP
    Remote Desktop Host the very first time, but when I log out and try to
    Re-connect again, it gives an error immediately "The Terminal Server has
    ended the connection".

    It used to work flawlessly BEFORE I installed SP2 onto my Windows XP host
    machine.
    HELP!

    =Steve=

    "wes_55" <wes_55@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > But I'm working with Windows XP Professional (SP2). I keep getting
    > errors when I try to REconnect to my computer. Connecting the first
    > time works without a problem, but when I disconnect or log off I am
    > unable to reconnect. A reboot is required to login again (remotly that
    > is).
    >
    > I keep getting the following message (on REconnection).
    >

    > The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
    >
    > The most likely causer for this error are:
    > 1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
    > 2)The maximum number of connections is exceeded at the remote
    > computer.
    > 3)A network error occured while establishing the connection.
    >
    > 1)Well it is 100% sure, first time it did work.
    > 2)Impossible, I logged of and there's no one else using this computer.
    > 3)Again first time it worked, and I can ping the machine.
    >
    > I've been searching the web for 2 day's now. Without success. There
    > don't seem to be any other people with this problem.
    >
    > Does anybody have an idea what it could be, I'm at a loss here
    >
    > My System
    > P4 2,4 Ghz
    > 1024 Mb
    > 4000 kb/s down 512 kb/s up internet connection
    >
    > Installed software
    > Windows Xp Pro SP2 (al latest updates/hotfixes, XP firewall disabled)
    > Zonealarm (Free edition)
    > AVG anti-virus (Free edition)
    > Ms Office 2003 Pro (all latest updates/hotfixes)
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message

    > I get the EXACT same behavior: I can connect using TS to my Windows XP
    > Remote Desktop Host the very first time, but when I log out and try to
    > Re-connect again, it gives an error immediately "The Terminal Server
    > has ended the connection".
    >
    > It used to work flawlessly BEFORE I installed SP2 onto my Windows XP
    > host machine.

    Try updating the video drivers to the manufacturer's latest version on the
    server (the PC you are trying to conenct to), not the client (the PC you are
    trying to connect from).

    This is particularly likely to be a problem with nVidia grpahics cards and
    the version of the nVidia driver distributed inside XP SP2.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Thank you for the idea, Robin.
    I have a Dell Dimension XPS, but I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb),
    not the nVidia card you mentioned.
    However, I went to the Dell support website and found a very recent video
    driver update for my ATI Radeon, and I downloaded and installed the new
    driver (along with a reboot as requested).
    However, I am still having the exaxt same problem with Terminal Services /
    Remote Desktop Connection.
    Is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this??
    Thanks.
    =Steve=

    "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I get the EXACT same behavior: I can connect using TS to my Windows XP
    >> Remote Desktop Host the very first time, but when I log out and try to
    >> Re-connect again, it gives an error immediately "The Terminal Server
    >> has ended the connection".
    >>
    >> It used to work flawlessly BEFORE I installed SP2 onto my Windows XP
    >> host machine.
    >
    > Try updating the video drivers to the manufacturer's latest version on the
    > server (the PC you are trying to conenct to), not the client (the PC you
    > are trying to connect from).
    >
    > This is particularly likely to be a problem with nVidia grpahics cards and
    > the version of the nVidia driver distributed inside XP SP2.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I have the EXACT same problem also.

    I do have an nVidia card, and have just updated the drivers to the
    latest version...which has made no difference, I'm afraid.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me mad!

    - Jonathan

    "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message news:<eS8kYLlxEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Thank you for the idea, Robin.
    > I have a Dell Dimension XPS, but I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb),
    > not the nVidia card you mentioned.
    > However, I went to the Dell support website and found a very recent video
    > driver update for my ATI Radeon, and I downloaded and installed the new
    > driver (along with a reboot as requested).
    > However, I am still having the exaxt same problem with Terminal Services /
    > Remote Desktop Connection.
    > Is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this??
    > Thanks.
    > =Steve=
    >
    > "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I get the EXACT same behavior: I can connect using TS to my Windows XP
    > >> Remote Desktop Host the very first time, but when I log out and try to
    > >> Re-connect again, it gives an error immediately "The Terminal Server
    > >> has ended the connection".
    > >>
    > >> It used to work flawlessly BEFORE I installed SP2 onto my Windows XP
    > >> host machine.
    > >
    > > Try updating the video drivers to the manufacturer's latest version on the
    > > server (the PC you are trying to conenct to), not the client (the PC you
    > > are trying to connect from).
    > >
    > > This is particularly likely to be a problem with nVidia grpahics cards and
    > > the version of the nVidia driver distributed inside XP SP2.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Robin Walker
    > > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Same problem here. I'm using an integrated ATI video card on the
    motherboard. I upgraded to the latest Catalyst driver drivers from ATI,
    still doesn't work. My problem initially started with only being able to
    log in once remotely, if I disconnected or logged off and tried to reconnect
    I got the error. I've tried copying the termsrv.dll from the orginal pre SP2
    CD for XP Pro, didn't make a difference. This is really an annoying thing
    beicause I can't work from home until I get my box fixed at the office. Any
    suggestions?

    "Jonathan" wrote:

    > I have the EXACT same problem also.
    >
    > I do have an nVidia card, and have just updated the drivers to the
    > latest version...which has made no difference, I'm afraid.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me mad!
    >
    > - Jonathan
    >

    > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message news:<eS8kYLlxEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > > Thank you for the idea, Robin.
    > > I have a Dell Dimension XPS, but I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb),
    > > not the nVidia card you mentioned.
    > > However, I went to the Dell support website and found a very recent video
    > > driver update for my ATI Radeon, and I downloaded and installed the new
    > > driver (along with a reboot as requested).
    > > However, I am still having the exaxt same problem with Terminal Services /
    > > Remote Desktop Connection.
    > > Is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this??
    > > Thanks.
    > > =Steve=
    > >
    > > "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > > > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message

    > > > Try updating the video drivers to the manufacturer's latest version on the
    > > > server (the PC you are trying to conenct to), not the client (the PC you
    > > > are trying to connect from).
    > > >
    > > > This is particularly likely to be a problem with nVidia grpahics cards and
    > > > the version of the nVidia driver distributed inside XP SP2.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Robin Walker
    > > > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I am sure glad that I am not alone with this problem. I was pulling my hair
    out thinking it was my router, nic, or something else! The idea to upgrade
    the nvidia drivers to the most current didn't work for me either and I don't
    see how that could be the problem anyways since the RDP session works for the
    first time all the time after reboots. . .

    An interesting side note in all my testings tonight, I have 3 machines out
    of 6 on my internal network that connect with via RDP on a frequent basis (or
    used to should I say). All the tests on those 3 machines give the same
    results - one session and done till reboot. I decided to try logging in from
    the same client to a different machine (that I normally don't and is upgraded
    to SP2) and it worked perfectly. I did it 5 times in a row with no problems.
    Only difference is that it was a laptop connected wirelessly.

    Please somebody help!

    "answrman" wrote:

    > Same problem here. I'm using an integrated ATI video card on the
    > motherboard. I upgraded to the latest Catalyst driver drivers from ATI,
    > still doesn't work. My problem initially started with only being able to
    > log in once remotely, if I disconnected or logged off and tried to reconnect
    > I got the error. I've tried copying the termsrv.dll from the orginal pre SP2
    > CD for XP Pro, didn't make a difference. This is really an annoying thing
    > beicause I can't work from home until I get my box fixed at the office. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Jonathan" wrote:
    >
    > > I have the EXACT same problem also.
    > >
    > > I do have an nVidia card, and have just updated the drivers to the
    > > latest version...which has made no difference, I'm afraid.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me mad!
    > >
    > > - Jonathan
    > >

    > > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message news:<eS8kYLlxEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > > > Thank you for the idea, Robin.
    > > > I have a Dell Dimension XPS, but I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb),
    > > > not the nVidia card you mentioned.
    > > > However, I went to the Dell support website and found a very recent video
    > > > driver update for my ATI Radeon, and I downloaded and installed the new
    > > > driver (along with a reboot as requested).
    > > > However, I am still having the exaxt same problem with Terminal Services /
    > > > Remote Desktop Connection.
    > > > Is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this??
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > =Steve=
    > > >
    > > > "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Another one here! We run windows 2003 server with remote desktops using XP
    SP2 all systems are at current level of updates. This enviroment has been
    stable for over two years. About 2 weeks ago we started getting disconnects.
    The message box says "Remote Desktop Disconned" "The specifed remote computer
    could not be found. Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or
    IP address, and then try to connect again". Reconnection will not occur until
    either the server is rebooted or the "listener" is reset in Terminal Server
    Manager.

    Have gone thru all the suggestions, with no result.
    Drivers are Intel 82845G chip set.

    "answrman" wrote:

    > Same problem here. I'm using an integrated ATI video card on the
    > motherboard. I upgraded to the latest Catalyst driver drivers from ATI,
    > still doesn't work. My problem initially started with only being able to
    > log in once remotely, if I disconnected or logged off and tried to reconnect
    > I got the error. I've tried copying the termsrv.dll from the orginal pre SP2
    > CD for XP Pro, didn't make a difference. This is really an annoying thing
    > beicause I can't work from home until I get my box fixed at the office. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Jonathan" wrote:
    >
    > > I have the EXACT same problem also.
    > >
    > > I do have an nVidia card, and have just updated the drivers to the
    > > latest version...which has made no difference, I'm afraid.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me mad!
    > >
    > > - Jonathan
    > >

    > > "news.microsoft.com" <smckenna@talstar.com> wrote in message news:<eS8kYLlxEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > > > Thank you for the idea, Robin.
    > > > I have a Dell Dimension XPS, but I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb),
    > > > not the nVidia card you mentioned.
    > > > However, I went to the Dell support website and found a very recent video
    > > > driver update for my ATI Radeon, and I downloaded and installed the new
    > > > driver (along with a reboot as requested).
    > > > However, I am still having the exaxt same problem with Terminal Services /
    > > > Remote Desktop Connection.
    > > > Is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this??
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > =Steve=
    > > >
    > > > "Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Remitdlo" wrote:
> [...]
    >   > > > >>
    >   > > > >> I get the EXACT same behavior: I can
    > connect using TS to my Windows XP
    >   > > > >> Remote Desktop Host the very first time,
    > but when I log out and try to
    >   > > > >> Re-connect again, it gives an error
    > immediately "The Terminal Server
    >   > > > >> has ended the connection".
    >   > > > >>
    >   > > > >> It used to work flawlessly BEFORE I
    > installed SP2 onto my Windows XP
    >   > > > >> host machine.
    >   > > > >
    >   > > > > Try updating the video drivers to the
    > manufacturer's latest version on the
    >   > > > > server (the PC you are trying to conenct
    > to), not the client (the PC you
    >   > > > > are trying to connect from).
    >   > > > >
    >   > > > > This is particularly likely to be a
    > problem with nVidia grpahics cards and
    >   > > > > the version of the nVidia driver

    I’m new to using remote desktop, but have been playing with it quite a
    bit the last few days on my home lan. I am having the exact same
    problem and error message as the original poster.

    The things we have in common are SP2 and ZoneAlarm. I haven’t tested
    this theory yet, but I imagine it is probably a ZoneAlarm issue. I
    always have wierd things happen while using it. Try shutting it down,
    or uninstalling it and see if that stops it. If it’s an SP2 problem
    not sure what to do unless Microsoft is aware of it and has a patch.
    One of us probably needs to open a ticket with them if we can’t clear
    this soon.

    Also make sure your SP2 firewall is disabled for your testing. I
    think Remote Desktop is telling us we can’t connect because something
    is stopping the connection. Probably ZoneAlarm, Windows Firewall, or
    perhaps your gateway / router.

    Let me know your results.

    Bill

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Work-Remotely-Unable-reconnect-Remote-Desktop-Windows-XP-SP2-ftopict215565.html