Does rechaptering affect quality?

One guy made the DVD and didn't bother breaking the footage into chapters.
I was going to take the DVD and do rechaptering with TMPGenc DVD Author. But
then he told me that he would resend me the raw data (MPEG and WAV files)
separately to re-author the DVD 'cause according to him if I do rechaptering
from DVD, the quality will degrade. Now honestly I have never heard about it. I
thought rechaptering will just affect a separate index file on DVD and in no
way it will affect the actual footage (no recompression will occur). But just
to be safe, I decided to ask here. Is what he's saying BS?

--Leonid

Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:

>One guy made the DVD and didn't bother breaking the footage into chapters.
>I was going to take the DVD and do rechaptering with TMPGenc DVD Author. But
>then he told me that he would resend me the raw data (MPEG and WAV files)
>separately to re-author the DVD 'cause according to him if I do rechaptering
>from DVD, the quality will degrade. Now honestly I have never heard about it. I
>thought rechaptering will just affect a separate index file on DVD and in no
>way it will affect the actual footage (no recompression will occur). But just
>to be safe, I decided to ask here. Is what he's saying BS?

If the video were re-encoded, the quality would degrade (although it
wouldn't necessarily be noticeable). However, what you want to do
would not degrade the quality. TDA isn't even capable of re-encoding,
so you don't even have to worry about that happening accidentally.

On 6 Jan 2005 22:32:51 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu>
wrote:

>One guy made the DVD and didn't bother breaking the footage into chapters.
>I was going to take the DVD and do rechaptering with TMPGenc DVD Author. But
>then he told me that he would resend me the raw data (MPEG and WAV files)
>separately to re-author the DVD 'cause according to him if I do rechaptering
>from DVD, the quality will degrade. Now honestly I have never heard about it. I
>thought rechaptering will just affect a separate index file on DVD and in no
>way it will affect the actual footage (no recompression will occur). But just
>to be safe, I decided to ask here. Is what he's saying BS?

BS, of course. Just think of it: Tmgpenc DVDAuthor is not an encoder.
So when you set your movie for a hundred chapters or none, it is not
going to re-encode it -the video remains de the same.

Thanks. BTW, I think I know why he was saying it. There are apparently some DVD
authoring software packages that re-encode anything you give them. Probably,
this guy was dealing with those encoders exclusively. He's a mac user. Not that
there's anything wrong with it.

--Leonid

TRENDING THREADS