downloading/editing video from digital tape

I have a Sony handycam digital 8. It uses tape to record digital video. I am
unimpressed with the capabilities of the software that came with the camera.
I would like to be able to directly copy from the tape to my hard drive,
without adding production features/music etc. and of course then be able to
work with the video.

Anyone have some idea of what software I could use to accomplish this.

Thanks

Craig
1 answer Last reply
More about downloading editing video digital tape

    "Craig Hillier" <chillier@sasktel.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony handycam digital 8. It uses tape to record digital video. I
    am
    > unimpressed with the capabilities of the software that came with the
    camera.
    > I would like to be able to directly copy from the tape to my hard drive,
    > without adding production features/music etc. and of course then be able
    > work with the video.
    >
    > Anyone have some idea of what software I could use to accomplish this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Craig

    Any number of the video editors out there can edit the video. Examples
    Sony movie studio, Ulead Media Studio Pro etc. etc. (check out
    http://www.videohelp.com/ for lots of good info. ) As far as the capture
    from your camera, assuming it has a standard firewire interface on it (and
    it should if it is a D8), many of the video editors can capture direct,
    however,
    I prefer scenalyzer at http://www.scenalyzer.com/ -- it does a nice job of
    capture to .avi files on your disk, will break the recording into segments
    based on discontinuity in the time code on the tape (where you stopped/
    paused the tape) and will also do a reasonable job of capturing a frame to
    a .jpg which I often use for getting a picture for the cover of my DVD's.
    If your computer does not have a firewire interface, assuming it is a recent
    version of windows, a cheap firewire card is $20 or $30 -- a little more
    and it often comes with some sort of editor.

    mikey

Tuner Cards Video Software Graphics