downloading/editing video from digital tape

I have a Sony handycam digital 8. It uses tape to record digital video. I am
unimpressed with the capabilities of the software that came with the camera.
I would like to be able to directly copy from the tape to my hard drive,
without adding production features/music etc. and of course then be able to
work with the video.

Anyone have some idea of what software I could use to accomplish this.

Thanks

Craig

"Craig Hillier" <chillier@sasktel.net> wrote in message
> I have a Sony handycam digital 8. It uses tape to record digital video. I
am
> unimpressed with the capabilities of the software that came with the
camera.
> I would like to be able to directly copy from the tape to my hard drive,
> without adding production features/music etc. and of course then be able
> work with the video.
>
> Anyone have some idea of what software I could use to accomplish this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

Any number of the video editors out there can edit the video. Examples
Sony movie studio, Ulead Media Studio Pro etc. etc. (check out
http://www.videohelp.com/ for lots of good info. ) As far as the capture
from your camera, assuming it has a standard firewire interface on it (and
it should if it is a D8), many of the video editors can capture direct,
however,
I prefer scenalyzer at http://www.scenalyzer.com/ -- it does a nice job of
capture to .avi files on your disk, will break the recording into segments
based on discontinuity in the time code on the tape (where you stopped/
paused the tape) and will also do a reasonable job of capturing a frame to
a .jpg which I often use for getting a picture for the cover of my DVD's.
If your computer does not have a firewire interface, assuming it is a recent
version of windows, a cheap firewire card is $20 or $30 -- a little more
and it often comes with some sort of editor.

mikey