NetMeeting > Remote Dektop Not Loading -- HELP!

I have 2 PCs at home, one XP Home and a 98 box setup with a wireless
LAN/Cable Modem internet connection. Pirior to installing the wireless
router, I was able to VPN and Net Meeting to my work PC (Win2000).

Now, I connect via VPN, initiate a NM call to my work PC and the remote
desktop does not load at all (just a dark grey window) or other times 1/3 to
1/2 of the remote desktop is visible but does not finish loading.

I can NM to my work PC from other PCs at work and I had a co-worker NM to my
work PC from his home and they all worked fine, so some configuration has
gone awry at home.

Does someone have ideas/suggestions? This is proving to be very
frustrating. Thanks in advance.

"Jetset707" <Jetset707@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have 2 PCs at home, one XP Home and a 98 box setup with a wireless
> LAN/Cable Modem internet connection. Pirior to installing the
> wireless router, I was able to VPN and Net Meeting to my work PC
> (Win2000).
>
> Now, I connect via VPN, initiate a NM call to my work PC and the
> remote desktop does not load at all (just a dark grey window) or
> other times 1/3 to 1/2 of the remote desktop is visible but does not
> finish loading.

You have inserted a Network Address Translation (NAT) router between your
home PCs and the internet.

NetMeeting uses a NAT-unfriendly protocol, because it embeds either IP
addresses or port numbers in its data streams, and so most domestic NAT
routers are incapable of dealing with it correctly. This means you have a
straight choice: either abandon the router, or abandon NetMeeting.
NetMeeting has been largely superseded by other, more up-to-date and
NAT-compliant protocols such as Remote Desktop, which have no difficulty
with the clients being behind NAT routers. But your office PC runs Windows
2000, which cannot be an RDP server. This sounds like a good enough reason
to upgrade your office PC to XP Pro (not Home), so that you can RDP to it
easily through a router.

You might have a bit more luck with NetMeeting, if you configure your home
router to place the NetMeeting PC in the DMZ.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my work PC to XP Home and removing the
wireless router is not a desirable option. The thing is I have a co-worker
that has the same setup as I do and does not have a hub after the router,
segmenting the NetMeeting PC in a DMZ and is able to connect just fine.