Setting Up VPN for Remote Desktop Sharing on the Same Netw..

I have 2 computers on a router. On in the Den and one in my room.
Den 192.168.1.102
Bed 192.168.1.101
I want to remotely connect to my den comuters desktop from my Bedroom.
How do I set up the VPN... I have tryed but it said that it cant connect.

Please Help... Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about setting remote desktop sharing netw

    Why use a VPN for a simple file/folder sharing function?

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

    You could use Remote Desktop if the den PC is running XP Pro...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Brad Swindell" <BradSwindell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 computers on a router. On in the Den and one in my room.
    > Den 192.168.1.102
    > Bed 192.168.1.101
    > I want to remotely connect to my den comuters desktop from my Bedroom.
    > How do I set up the VPN... I have tryed but it said that it cant connect.
    >
    > Please Help... Thanks

    "Brad Swindell" <BradSwindell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:A7B3AC91-1A8B-4459-9981-7B20B90A2D3C@microsoft.com

    > I have 2 computers on a router. On in the Den and one in my room.
    > Den 192.168.1.102
    > Bed 192.168.1.101
    > I want to remotely connect to my den comuters desktop from my Bedroom.
    > How do I set up the VPN... I have tryed but it said that it cant
    > connect.

    In the Subject header you refer to "Remote Desktop", but in the message body
    you refer to "VPN". These are quite different things. What exactly are you
    trying to achieve?

    With both PCs being on the same LAN, you do not need a VPN at all.

    You will need to be running XP Pro (must be the Pro version) on the PC you
    wish to connect to (the one in the Den) with Remote Desktop. The PC you
    connect from (the one in the bedroom) can be any version of Windows with the
    RDP client installed.

    On the Den PC, open control panel System, tab Remote, check "Remote
    Desktop - Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". Ensure the
    username of the account that you will use for Remote Desktop logins is
    listed in "Select Remote Users", or is listed as "already has access".
    Ensure that this username has a password set.

    On the bedroom PC you launch the Remote Desktop Connection client, enter
    192.168.1.102 as the server address, and use the userid/password pair that
    you set up for Remote Desktop logins.

    If you still cannot connect, please tell us exactly what you typed in which
    boxes of what application., and exactly the text of the error messages.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Thanks so much I got it.

    "Robin Walker" wrote:

    > "Brad Swindell" <BradSwindell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:A7B3AC91-1A8B-4459-9981-7B20B90A2D3C@microsoft.com
    > >
    > > I have 2 computers on a router. On in the Den and one in my room.
    > > Den 192.168.1.102
    > > Bed 192.168.1.101
    > > I want to remotely connect to my den comuters desktop from my Bedroom.
    > > How do I set up the VPN... I have tryed but it said that it cant
    > > connect.
    >
    > In the Subject header you refer to "Remote Desktop", but in the message body
    > you refer to "VPN". These are quite different things. What exactly are you
    > trying to achieve?
    >
    > With both PCs being on the same LAN, you do not need a VPN at all.
    >
    > You will need to be running XP Pro (must be the Pro version) on the PC you
    > wish to connect to (the one in the Den) with Remote Desktop. The PC you
    > connect from (the one in the bedroom) can be any version of Windows with the
    > RDP client installed.
    >
    > On the Den PC, open control panel System, tab Remote, check "Remote
    > Desktop - Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". Ensure the
    > username of the account that you will use for Remote Desktop logins is
    > listed in "Select Remote Users", or is listed as "already has access".
    > Ensure that this username has a password set.
    >
    > On the bedroom PC you launch the Remote Desktop Connection client, enter
    > 192.168.1.102 as the server address, and use the userid/password pair that
    > you set up for Remote Desktop logins.
    >
    > If you still cannot connect, please tell us exactly what you typed in which
    > boxes of what application., and exactly the text of the error messages.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Remote Desktop Connection VPN Windows XP