map drive over Remote Desktop to 2003 TS ?

Scott

Hi,

I need to transfer files from 1 site to another using a batch file.

Our client has 2003 server running terminal services at site1 and at site 2
users connect directly using the Remote Desktop Client (im aware this is not
very secure).

I noticed that you can share DRIVES from the client when logging into the
terminal server and these drive then become available on the terminal server
desktop.

Is it then possible to map a drive from this terminal server windows back to
the remote client where the Remote Desktop software is running ?

When I tried I got the message "The drive could not be mapped because no
network was found". Will it ever be possible to map a drive like this ?

I understand that the terminal server screen shows the drive in my
computer......but i need a batch file to run and copy the files for me on a
schedule.

Thanks for any information.
Scott

map drive over Remote Desktop to 2003 TS ?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, you can map them back to the client...

Make sure that the RDP connection is set to share the client's drives with
the server. Where you normally would map to \\<Server_Name>\<Share_Name>,
you should map to:
\\Tsclient\<Drive Letter on Client>

This will allow you to map a drive letter on the RDP server to a drive on
the remote system.

"scott" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to transfer files from 1 site to another using a batch file.
>
> Our client has 2003 server running terminal services at site1 and at site 2
> users connect directly using the Remote Desktop Client (im aware this is not
> very secure).
>
> I noticed that you can share DRIVES from the client when logging into the
> terminal server and these drive then become available on the terminal server
> desktop.
>
> Is it then possible to map a drive from this terminal server windows back to
> the remote client where the Remote Desktop software is running ?
>
> When I tried I got the message "The drive could not be mapped because no
> network was found". Will it ever be possible to map a drive like this ?
>
> I understand that the terminal server screen shows the drive in my
> computer......but i need a batch file to run and copy the files for me on a
> schedule.
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Scott
>
> map drive over Remote Desktop to 2003 TS ?

Scott

Thanks for the reply.

How do you "Make sure that the RDP connection is set to share the client's
drives with
the server" ?

The Remote Desktop Clinet on the workstation is set to share the "DRIVES" is
this what you mean ?

If this is the case I cant map back to the from the TS DESKTOP. The
workstations drives appear on under My Computer on the TS DESKTOP as "Other"
drives. I cannot actually MAP back to them though even if the drive is
shared (using normally sharing techniques). i.e I cant NET USE L:
\\clinet\cdrive\ as the TS cant find the path to the CLINET.

NOTE: the connection from the WS to the TS is over 3389 remotely i.e no
WINS.

Thanks
Scott

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When you start the connection, open the Options in the RDP client. On the
Local Resources tab, make sure that "Disk Drives" is checked. That will
attache all of yourt local disk drives to the server.

"scott" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> How do you "Make sure that the RDP connection is set to share the client's
> drives with
> the server" ?
>
> The Remote Desktop Clinet on the workstation is set to share the "DRIVES" is
> this what you mean ?
>
> If this is the case I cant map back to the from the TS DESKTOP. The
> workstations drives appear on under My Computer on the TS DESKTOP as "Other"
> drives. I cannot actually MAP back to them though even if the drive is
> shared (using normally sharing techniques). i.e I cant NET USE L:
> \\clinet\cdrive\ as the TS cant find the path to the CLINET.
>
> NOTE: the connection from the WS to the TS is over 3389 remotely i.e no
> WINS.
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Scott

got it.

net use x: \\tsclient\c

making sure the DRIVES are available via the Remote Desktop Local Resources
option.

thanks
scott