remote desktop on LAN via web

drew

Hi
Have a problem accessing a client PC (A) (xp pro sp2) that is on a workgroup
LAN, via remote desktop connection from home office laptop (xp pro sp2) (C).

The client PC is connected to the internet via a shared internet connection
and a USB ADSL modem (static IP), on another xp pro sp2 PC (B). All have Win
firewall enabled.

I have set up B as a remote desktop server, and can access it's desktop via
the Web and it's static IP address.

How do I access the PC A from via the Web?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

"drew" <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Have a problem accessing a client PC (A) (xp pro sp2) that is on a
> workgroup LAN, via remote desktop connection from home office laptop
> (xp pro sp2) (C).
>
> The client PC is connected to the internet via a shared internet
> connection and a USB ADSL modem (static IP), on another xp pro sp2 PC
> (B). All have Win firewall enabled.
>
> I have set up B as a remote desktop server, and can access it's
> desktop via the Web and it's static IP address.
>
> How do I access the PC A from via the Web?

Presumably PC B is running Internet Connection Sharing, otherwise you will
never get through to A.

You need to either:
(a) stop B being an RDP server, and in ICS on B, forward TCP port 3389 to A;
or
(b) configure the ICS on B to forward, say, TCP external port 3390 to
internal port 3389 of A, then make RDP connections to port 3390 of the IP
address of B.

It's not clear why you want to use the Web interface for RDP, when the
normal RDP client will connect directly over the internet. If you really do
want to use the web interface, you will need to set up the IIS interface on
A, and port-forward on B so that external port (say) 81 forwards to internal
port 80 on A. You will also need to rewrite some of the files involved so
that they can initiate an RDP call to a non-standard port (3390 instead of
3389).

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Can you just use the normal RDP interface for an internet session? I have
been faffing about with IIS and the web-method all afternoon!

"Robin Walker" wrote:

> "drew" <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Have a problem accessing a client PC (A) (xp pro sp2) that is on a
> > workgroup LAN, via remote desktop connection from home office laptop
> > (xp pro sp2) (C).
> >
> > The client PC is connected to the internet via a shared internet
> > connection and a USB ADSL modem (static IP), on another xp pro sp2 PC
> > (B). All have Win firewall enabled.
> >
> > I have set up B as a remote desktop server, and can access it's
> > desktop via the Web and it's static IP address.
> >
> > How do I access the PC A from via the Web?
>
> Presumably PC B is running Internet Connection Sharing, otherwise you will
> never get through to A.
>
> You need to either:
> (a) stop B being an RDP server, and in ICS on B, forward TCP port 3389 to A;
> or
> (b) configure the ICS on B to forward, say, TCP external port 3390 to
> internal port 3389 of A, then make RDP connections to port 3390 of the IP
> address of B.
>
> It's not clear why you want to use the Web interface for RDP, when the
> normal RDP client will connect directly over the internet. If you really do
> want to use the web interface, you will need to set up the IIS interface on
> A, and port-forward on B so that external port (say) 81 forwards to internal
> port 80 on A. You will also need to rewrite some of the files involved so
> that they can initiate an RDP call to a non-standard port (3390 instead of
> 3389).
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk