Premiere Pro Capture Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2005 11:45:13 AM

I had Premiere Pro installed on an Intel box that
I borrowed from a friend, worked great. I bought
an AMD XP 64 bit system and installed Premiere
Pro 1.5 on it and copied my old projects over and
they were fine. I then tried to do a capture with
the same firewire card that I used in the other PC,
with the same cable and the same camcoder and I
cannot capture. I get control over the camcorder,
but the video is blank in the capture window. The
audio and video play in the lcd on the camcorder,
like it did previously, but no video in Pro. I
see the frames count by in the capture window and
when I stop the recording I get a message that says
that it did not capture any frames. I installed
the most recent drivers for my ATI 9600 Pro vid card,
though I didn't think that that would make much of a
difference. I reinstalled Pro and even tried an
earlier version of the vid drivers, but no joy.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

fyb
--
This is my sig
Anonymous

Let's assume the camera is 100% functional and you have everything setup
correctly in Premiere. Which you should double check

Can any other app capture over FW? Moviemaker.. etc?

Isolate the problem. It may not be Premiere.

"Lord and Master" <fybar@babs.hammerdog.org> wrote in message
>I had Premiere Pro installed on an Intel box that
> I borrowed from a friend, worked great. I bought
> an AMD XP 64 bit system and installed Premiere
> Pro 1.5 on it and copied my old projects over and
> they were fine. I then tried to do a capture with
> the same firewire card that I used in the other PC,
> with the same cable and the same camcoder and I
> cannot capture. I get control over the camcorder,
> but the video is blank in the capture window. The
> audio and video play in the lcd on the camcorder,
> like it did previously, but no video in Pro. I
> see the frames count by in the capture window and
> when I stop the recording I get a message that says
> that it did not capture any frames. I installed
> the most recent drivers for my ATI 9600 Pro vid card,
> though I didn't think that that would make much of a
> difference. I reinstalled Pro and even tried an
> earlier version of the vid drivers, but no joy.
>
> What should I try next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> fyb
> --
> This is my sig
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:58:22 AM

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in news:w3WDd.9499$5R.647
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> Let's assume the camera is 100% functional and you have everything setup
> correctly in Premiere. Which you should double check
>
> Can any other app capture over FW? Moviemaker.. etc?
>
> Isolate the problem. It may not be Premiere.

Movie maker behaves the same way, so then it is not Premiere that is the
problem. I pulled the firewire card from that pc and put it into another.
I was then able to capture from movie maker from that PC. Funny, that in
this second pc the preview didn't show up, so I thought it was going to
fail, but it captured the video. So, this is a configuration or
incompatablility on my new pc then.

So, I disabled hardware acceleration and tried OpenGL then back to Direct
3D, still no joy. Do you have any other suggestions of what to try next?
January 10, 2005 8:56:38 PM

"fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in news:w3WDd.9499$5R.647
> @newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> Let's assume the camera is 100% functional and you have everything setup
>> correctly in Premiere. Which you should double check
>>
>> Can any other app capture over FW? Moviemaker.. etc?
>>
>> Isolate the problem. It may not be Premiere.
>
> Movie maker behaves the same way, so then it is not Premiere that is the
> problem. I pulled the firewire card from that pc and put it into another.
> I was then able to capture from movie maker from that PC. Funny, that in
> this second pc the preview didn't show up, so I thought it was going to
> fail, but it captured the video. So, this is a configuration or
> incompatablility on my new pc then.
>
> So, I disabled hardware acceleration and tried OpenGL then back to Direct
> 3D, still no joy. Do you have any other suggestions of what to try next?

I suppose I would try a different slot for that FW card in the original PC.
Preview issues on the 2nd PC may be related to the video card in there.

It is even possible that it may take another firewire card .... at least
they are cheap.

Once it is working with MM it will work with Premiere.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:37:22 AM

> "fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in news:w3WDd.9499$5R.647
>> @newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>>
>>> Let's assume the camera is 100% functional and you have everything
>>> setup correctly in Premiere. Which you should double check
>>>
>>> Can any other app capture over FW? Moviemaker.. etc?
>>>
>>> Isolate the problem. It may not be Premiere.
>>
>> Movie maker behaves the same way, so then it is not Premiere that is
>> the problem. I pulled the firewire card from that pc and put it into
>> another. I was then able to capture from movie maker from that PC.
>> Funny, that in this second pc the preview didn't show up, so I
>> thought it was going to fail, but it captured the video. So, this is
>> a configuration or incompatablility on my new pc then.
>>
>> So, I disabled hardware acceleration and tried OpenGL then back to
>> Direct 3D, still no joy. Do you have any other suggestions of what
>> to try next?
>
> I suppose I would try a different slot for that FW card in the
> original PC. Preview issues on the 2nd PC may be related to the video
> card in there.
>
> It is even possible that it may take another firewire card .... at
> least they are cheap.
>
> Once it is working with MM it will work with Premiere.

I tried a different slot before, thee total. I installed some other
codecs at the urging of another enthusiast but still nothing. I am
going to go get another firewire card and try that. I have a Radeon
9600 Pro with the latest drivers, maybe try an earlier version?

Thanks for the help.

fyb
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:52:24 PM

Sure it's not the AV->DV setting in the camera? I'm pretty sure (with
Canon ZRxx cameras at least) that if you have AV->DV enabled (to do
analog->digital passthru) then capture behaves as you're describing -
i.e. the camera control works but it doesn't accept data over firewire.
Disable AV->DV and see if that helps.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:23:06 PM

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>

>> "fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in news:w3WDd.9499$5R.647
>>> @newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

>>> Movie maker behaves the same way, so then it is not Premiere that is
>>> the problem. I pulled the firewire card from that pc and put it into
>>> another. I was then able to capture from movie maker from that PC.
>>> Funny, that in this second pc the preview didn't show up, so I
>>> thought it was going to fail, but it captured the video. So, this is
>>> a configuration or incompatablility on my new pc then.
>>>
>>> So, I disabled hardware acceleration and tried OpenGL then back to
>>> Direct 3D, still no joy. Do you have any other suggestions of what
>>> to try next?
>>
>> I suppose I would try a different slot for that FW card in the
>> original PC. Preview issues on the 2nd PC may be related to the video
>> card in there.
>>
>> It is even possible that it may take another firewire card .... at
>> least they are cheap.
>>
>> Once it is working with MM it will work with Premiere.
>
> I tried a different slot before, thee total. I installed some other
> codecs at the urging of another enthusiast but still nothing. I am
> going to go get another firewire card and try that. I have a Radeon
> 9600 Pro with the latest drivers, maybe try an earlier version?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Probably has nothing to do with the Radeon.

> fyb
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:36:13 AM

> "fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message

>>> I suppose I would try a different slot for that FW card in the
>>> original PC. Preview issues on the 2nd PC may be related to the
>>> video card in there.
>>>
>>> It is even possible that it may take another firewire card .... at
>>> least they are cheap.
>>>
>>> Once it is working with MM it will work with Premiere.
>>
>> I tried a different slot before, thee total. I installed some other
>> codecs at the urging of another enthusiast but still nothing. I am
>> going to go get another firewire card and try that. I have a Radeon
>> 9600 Pro with the latest drivers, maybe try an earlier version?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>

> Probably has nothing to do with the Radeon.

Yup, it was the firewire card. Pretty flakey that I could get it to
work with the other systems, but not this one. I got a cheap LaCie card
and it works in all of the systems. The card giving me grief is a
Dynex.

Thanks for the suggestions!

fyb
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:01:17 AM

you're welcome.
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>

>> "fybar" <fybar@no.spam.me.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in

>>> I tried a different slot before, thee total. I installed some other
>>> codecs at the urging of another enthusiast but still nothing. I am
>>> going to go get another firewire card and try that. I have a Radeon
>>> 9600 Pro with the latest drivers, maybe try an earlier version?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>>

>> Probably has nothing to do with the Radeon.
>>

> Yup, it was the firewire card. Pretty flakey that I could get it to
> work with the other systems, but not this one. I got a cheap LaCie card
> and it works in all of the systems. The card giving me grief is a
> Dynex.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> fyb

January 16, 2005 4:22:34 AM

I have almost the same thing happening to me. I have 2 IEEE ports on my
Vaio, a 6 pin in the rear and a 4 pin up front. My old camcorder works
connected to either port. My new one works with the 4 pin to 4 pin cable on
the front port, but works like yours (control but no video) using the 6 to 4
pin cable from the rear. Not sure if it is the port, cable length, or cable
quality. Can you borrow another cable? I just use the front port.

Larry

"Lord and Master" <fybar@babs.hammerdog.org> wrote in message
>I had Premiere Pro installed on an Intel box that
> I borrowed from a friend, worked great. I bought
> an AMD XP 64 bit system and installed Premiere
> Pro 1.5 on it and copied my old projects over and
> they were fine. I then tried to do a capture with
> the same firewire card that I used in the other PC,
> with the same cable and the same camcoder and I
> cannot capture. I get control over the camcorder,
> but the video is blank in the capture window. The
> audio and video play in the lcd on the camcorder,
> like it did previously, but no video in Pro. I
> see the frames count by in the capture window and
> when I stop the recording I get a message that says
> that it did not capture any frames. I installed
> the most recent drivers for my ATI 9600 Pro vid card,
> though I didn't think that that would make much of a
> difference. I reinstalled Pro and even tried an
> earlier version of the vid drivers, but no joy.
>
> What should I try next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> fyb
> --
> This is my sig
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:42:17 AM

"Larry" <Sternig@ColdMail.com> wrote in

> I have almost the same thing happening to me. I have 2 IEEE ports on
> my Vaio, a 6 pin in the rear and a 4 pin up front. My old camcorder
> works connected to either port. My new one works with the 4 pin to 4
> pin cable on the front port, but works like yours (control but no
> video) using the 6 to 4 pin cable from the rear. Not sure if it is the
> port, cable length, or cable quality. Can you borrow another cable? I
> just use the front port.

I replaced the IEEE card and I am now capturing without any problems at
all. Very frustrating considering that the original card worked in 50% of
the pc's that I used. Next time I have some kind of difficulty with a new
peripheral I will go straight to exchanging it for a new one. I wasted a
week trying to get this POS working.

Thanks for the reply.

fyb
!