WINTV

I just purchased one of the cheaper Wintv's with "SoftPVR". I'd like to
record some Seinfeld episodes (mpeg) and burn them to a CD to watch on
my laptop while on my boat this summer. I know that recorded video eats
up a tremendous amount of harddrive, like 3 gb per half hour.
My question is, after burning the video to CD & deleting it, will it be
completely gone,or will there be "remnants" left taking up space on the
HD. You can probably tell that I'm new to this. .
Thanks in advance

Jimmy

Gerald Meyer wrote:
> I just purchased one of the cheaper Wintv's with "SoftPVR". I'd like
> to record some Seinfeld episodes (mpeg) and burn them to a CD to
> watch on my laptop while on my boat this summer. I know that
> recorded video eats up a tremendous amount of harddrive, like 3 gb
> per half hour.
> My question is, after burning the video to CD & deleting it, will it
> be completely gone,or will there be "remnants" left taking up space
> on the HD. You can probably tell that I'm new to this. .
> Thanks in advance

To answer your question:
Once you delete the video files they will be gone for sure.

PS. Take ME out on your boat and I will bring all the Seinfeld DVDs you want
for free. You watch and I will fish.

J.

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:05:34 -0500, Youngblood430@webtv.net (Gerald
Meyer) wrote:

> I know that recorded video eats
>up a tremendous amount of harddrive, like 3 gb per half hour.

It can be any quantity, depending on how you record it. But if you
plan to burn CDs, then you can record in the same format as you intend
to use in the CD. For instance, Vcd compliant mpeg-1, which takes 640
MB (1 CD) per 74 minutes.

OK, heres a quick primer on deleting files so you might have an idea
whats going on.

Anytime you delete something, it is marked at deleted but still exists
on your hard drive. Now, it doesnt take up any space on your hard
drive since its marked deleted. So say, something else wanted to use
the space which has the deleted episode, it just writes over the space
which contains the deleted episode. On the otherhand, if someone
wanted to retrieve it and it has not been written over by that
"something else", then chances are they could pull it back out and
haunt you with it.

So if you dont need it, delete and empty that recycle bin - bam - your
done its no longer taking up space.

If its incriminating evidence which I hope isnt the case and the FBI
is on their way, remove the hard drive, smash it with a 10lb hammer
and burn it and maybe it will be gone.

Meyer) wrote:

>I just purchased one of the cheaper Wintv's with "SoftPVR". I'd like to
>record some Seinfeld episodes (mpeg) and burn them to a CD to watch on
>my laptop while on my boat this summer. I know that recorded video eats
>up a tremendous amount of harddrive, like 3 gb per half hour.
>My question is, after burning the video to CD & deleting it, will it be
>completely gone,or will there be "remnants" left taking up space on the
>HD. You can probably tell that I'm new to this. .
>Thanks in advance

That is exacty what I'd like to do. However, I can't find a "VCD quality
MPEG" selection among the compression choices. I just recorded an hour
of uncompressed television and used up 15 gigs of HD. Any idea how I
set a Wintv-Go to VCD quality MPEG setting?

Jimmy

Jen Meyer wrote:
> That is exacty what I'd like to do. However, I can't find a "VCD
> quality MPEG" selection among the compression choices. I just
> recorded an hour of uncompressed television and used up 15 gigs of
> HD. Any idea how I set a Wintv-Go to VCD quality MPEG setting?

If your application does not have the correct settings or template you can
use this free application.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

J.