How to set up an account to access a WIn XP PC from anothe..

I want to access a PC with XP home from a PC with Win2000. I can do the other
way around no issue. But when I connect to the WinXP PC (from Win 2000 PC)
and I enter the account name, with admin authority, and password it replies
back, after a while, that either psw or ID are not correct (Which they are
for local access anyway) Both PC's are connected directly via Ethernet
crossed cable and they both have the shortcut created on the desktop to
connect one to another. They communicate, I can connect from XP to Win 2000,
but not the other way (I can ping though so there is a sort of connection).
It worked with both PC at Win2000. Tkanks for your support
--
Ciao. Giorgio

--
Ciao. Giorgio

You may have to change some security policies on the XP machine. Go to
Start -> Run -> type secpol.msc
Traverse the following path
Local Policies -> User rights assignment
Under this see if the user you are using to logon remotely is in the list
for the policy 'Allow logon through Terminal services'

--
Thanks,
Janani.

---------------------------------

"Giorgio" <Giorgio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to access a PC with XP home from a PC with Win2000. I can do the
other
> way around no issue. But when I connect to the WinXP PC (from Win 2000 PC)
> and I enter the account name, with admin authority, and password it
replies
> back, after a while, that either psw or ID are not correct (Which they are
> for local access anyway) Both PC's are connected directly via Ethernet
> crossed cable and they both have the shortcut created on the desktop to
> connect one to another. They communicate, I can connect from XP to Win
2000,
> but not the other way (I can ping though so there is a sort of
connection).
> It worked with both PC at Win2000. Tkanks for your support
> --
> Ciao. Giorgio
>
> --
> Ciao. Giorgio

Hi Janani, thaks for your support. Unfortunaltely I cannot do what you have
suggested. the secpol.msc is not on my XP machine. I do have a Windows XP
Home edition Italian language and service pack 2 installed (just for more
info) . I typed secpol.msc in the Run screen and The message I got back says:
"Cannot find file secpol.msc, run a search to find the right path" . I did
run a search, no success.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestion and thanks anyway.

"Janani V[MSFT]" wrote:

> You may have to change some security policies on the XP machine. Go to
> Start -> Run -> type secpol.msc
> Traverse the following path
> Local Policies -> User rights assignment
> Under this see if the user you are using to logon remotely is in the list
> for the policy 'Allow logon through Terminal services'
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Janani.

"Giorgio" <Giorgio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to access a PC with XP home from a PC with Win2000. I can do
> the other way around no issue. But when I connect to the WinXP PC
> (from Win 2000 PC) and I enter the account name, with admin
> authority, and password it replies back, after a while, that either
> psw or ID are not correct (Which they are for local access anyway)
> Both PC's are connected directly via Ethernet crossed cable and they
> both have the shortcut created on the desktop to connect one to
> another. They communicate, I can connect from XP to Win 2000, but not
> the other way (I can ping though so there is a sort of connection).
> It worked with both PC at Win2000.

I assume that you are talking about MS File Sharing rather than Remote
Desktop, because you cannot connect to XP Home with Remote Desktop at all.

There are problems with file sharing if you "upgrade" a 2000 PC to XP Home,
because XP-Home has less networking capability than Windows 2000.

For your problem, try this article:

You receive an error message when you try to access a shared folder on a
network computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885184

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk