Web Connection no go

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

On the internet I type in the address http://mypcname//tsweb and I get the RD
Web Connection page up OK, but when I type in the server name I get "the
specified remote computer could not be found". I've got IIS etc set up
correctly on the host PC in the office (networked via Netgear router,
permissons set on router firewall for port 3389, on client WINS set up in the
modem's properties). Got Remote Access allowed on both the client and the
host. Can connect via RDP when I am plugged into the LAN at the office.
SP1 on host, SP2 on client laptop, modem on client laptop firewalled.
I saw I think it was Richard on here from Cambridge UK saying that you don't
need all this IIS bother to do a remote internet connection but can just use
the standard RDP interface - is this so? Much easier if it s but I tried that
too and no joy.
Much obliged if anyone can help.

Simon wrote:
> On the internet I type in the address http://mypcname//tsweb and I
> get the RD Web Connection page up OK, but when I type in the server
> name

Which one? You can't use your internal/NetBIOS name there - you have to use
the public one (myserver.mydomain.com).

> I get "the specified remote computer could not be found". I've
> got IIS etc set up correctly on the host PC in the office (networked
> via Netgear router, permissons set on router firewall for port 3389,
> on client WINS set up in the modem's properties). Got Remote Access
> allowed on both the client and the host. Can connect via RDP when I
> am plugged into the LAN at the office.
> SP1 on host, SP2 on client laptop, modem on client laptop firewalled.
> I saw I think it was Richard on here from Cambridge UK saying that
> you don't need all this IIS bother to do a remote internet connection
> but can just use the standard RDP interface - is this so? Much easier
> if it s but I tried that too and no joy.

Yes, you can use the remote desktop client and enter the public name or IP
address.
> Much obliged if anyone can help.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Ah Ha! Which one, like what is the public name of my host PC. Is it listed
somewhere, say in Control Panel\System?

I have been trying to connect to either just the host's name as listed in
System\Computer Name, or alternatively by its static IP address on our LAN of
192.168.0.32 (I did think an awful lot of computers must have that address!)

I think you might have cracked this for me - sure hope so when I remember
the endless hours of total frustration. But if you have, what an idiot I am
eh?

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Ah Ha! Which one, like what is the public name of my host PC. Is it
> listed somewhere, say in Control Panel\System?
>
> I have been trying to connect to either just the host's name as
> listed in System\Computer Name, or alternatively by its static IP
> address on our LAN of 192.168.0.32 (I did think an awful lot of
> computers must have that address!)

No, you need to use the external WAN IP address of your NAT router: the only
place to find that is in the router setup pages.

Then you need to have your router port-forward TCP port 3389 to the LAN IP
of the RDP server.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

You can also use sites like...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

....to get the current WAP IP address that your ISP assigns...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:cm7v07$h3t$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Ah Ha! Which one, like what is the public name of my host PC. Is it
>> listed somewhere, say in Control Panel\System?
>>
>> I have been trying to connect to either just the host's name as
>> listed in System\Computer Name, or alternatively by its static IP
>> address on our LAN of 192.168.0.32 (I did think an awful lot of
>> computers must have that address!)
>
> No, you need to use the external WAN IP address of your NAT router: the only
> place to find that is in the router setup pages.
>
> Then you need to have your router port-forward TCP port 3389 to the LAN IP
> of the RDP server.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Correction...

That should read "...the current WAN IP address..."