RDP Web Connection-remote PC not found

October 31, 2004 6:03:01 PM

On the internet I type in the address http://mypcname//tsweb and I get the RD
Web Connection page up OK, but when I type in the server name I get "the
specified remote computer could not be found". I've got IIS etc set up
correctly on the host PC in the office (networked via Netgear router,
permissons set on router firewall for port 3389, on client WINS set up in the
modem's properties). Got Remote Access allowed on both the client and the
host. Can connect via RDP when I am plugged into the LAN at the office.
SP1 on host, SP2 on client laptop, modem on client laptop firewalled.
I saw I think it was Richard on here from Cambridge UK saying that you don't
need all this IIS bother to do a remote internet connection but can just use
the standard RDP interface - is this so? Much easier if it s but I tried that
too and no joy.
Much obliged if anyone can help.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 5:07:02 AM

This excellent tutorial should answer all your questions:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sb...

"Simon" wrote:

> On the internet I type in the address http://mypcname//tsweb and I get the RD
> Web Connection page up OK, but when I type in the server name I get "the
> specified remote computer could not be found". I've got IIS etc set up
> correctly on the host PC in the office (networked via Netgear router,
> permissons set on router firewall for port 3389, on client WINS set up in the
> modem's properties). Got Remote Access allowed on both the client and the
> host. Can connect via RDP when I am plugged into the LAN at the office.
> SP1 on host, SP2 on client laptop, modem on client laptop firewalled.
> I saw I think it was Richard on here from Cambridge UK saying that you don't
> need all this IIS bother to do a remote internet connection but can just use
> the standard RDP interface - is this so? Much easier if it s but I tried that
> too and no joy.
> Much obliged if anyone can help.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 4:36:54 PM

Don't put any name in, just hit enter, and you should connect.

Yes, it is much simpler if you don't use the web access method--you should
just run Remote Desktop Connection, and put in the same address you are
using to bring up the web connect page.

If that isn't working, then the web connection won't either. Have you
enabled Remote Desktop in the Remote tab in properties of My Computer?