Fitting 133 minutes on a 120 minute DVD, recording at SP. ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 10, 2005 4:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.players (More info?)

I recently copied some TV art teaching programs onto a DVD disc.
The total time of the 5 programs (each approx 26 minutes) was 133
minutes.
I did'nt think they would fit on a single 120 minute disk as they were
recorded at SP quality. At this quality a maximum of 120 minutes per
DVD can be stored.
Much to my surprise the 5 programs were able to be copied to DVD
without any errors such as lack of space etc.
After thinking about it I found the reason was that the recording had
been made using a "variable video bit rate" and as there was very
little movement in the art programs the recording was made at a lower
bit rate. The movement would mainly be the artist hand and arm as most
of the time the canvas the artist was drawing on was shown on the
screen.

So if you have recorded programs with little movement such as a
public speaker, a lot of still subjects such as buildings and
landscapes, etc then it's possible to fit more video on a single DVD
disc.

Regards Brian
January 10, 2005 4:15:55 PM

Uhhh yep. Just because the DVD says you can fit 2 hours, don't believe it.
All "2 hour DVDs" have the same amount of recordable disc space. So you
could fit a whole lot more if you just lower the bit rate.

Cory

!