Fitting 133 minutes on a 120 minute DVD, recording at SP. ..

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.dvd.video.players (More info?)

I recently copied some TV art teaching programs onto a DVD disc.
The total time of the 5 programs (each approx 26 minutes) was 133
minutes.
I did'nt think they would fit on a single 120 minute disk as they were
recorded at SP quality. At this quality a maximum of 120 minutes per
DVD can be stored.
Much to my surprise the 5 programs were able to be copied to DVD
without any errors such as lack of space etc.
After thinking about it I found the reason was that the recording had
been made using a "variable video bit rate" and as there was very
little movement in the art programs the recording was made at a lower
bit rate. The movement would mainly be the artist hand and arm as most
of the time the canvas the artist was drawing on was shown on the
screen.

So if you have recorded programs with little movement such as a
public speaker, a lot of still subjects such as buildings and
landscapes, etc then it's possible to fit more video on a single DVD
disc.

Regards Brian

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:16:23 +1300, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>I recently copied some TV art teaching programs onto a DVD disc.
>The total time of the 5 programs (each approx 26 minutes) was 133
>minutes.
>I did'nt think they would fit on a single 120 minute disk as they were
>recorded at SP quality. At this quality a maximum of 120 minutes per
>DVD can be stored.

My desktop DVD recorder (an Airis) gives me 130 minutes per DVD+RW
disc. In any case, there's always DVDShrink! (although what I actually
use is Dvd2One).

You can put four hours on a DVD disk if you reduce the bit rate and you
don't mind closing your eyes at the quality!
--
Maurice Fleisher <videoenterprises@ntlworld.com>
www.videoenterprises-uk.co.uk

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:16:23 +1300, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I recently copied some TV art teaching programs onto a DVD disc.
>>The total time of the 5 programs (each approx 26 minutes) was 133
>>minutes.
>>I did'nt think they would fit on a single 120 minute disk as they were
>>recorded at SP quality. At this quality a maximum of 120 minutes per
>>DVD can be stored.
>
> My desktop DVD recorder (an Airis) gives me 130 minutes per DVD+RW
> disc. In any case, there's always DVDShrink! (although what I actually
> use is Dvd2One).

If you encode at "half D1" (352 x 480) you can get 4 hours on a DVD that
looks quite good indeed. Try it!

Sanman