Sony DCR-PC101E auto shutdown; how to to disable

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 29, 2005 6:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

Not sure if I'm posting in the right groups, here....

I'm using a Sony DCR-PC101E (PAL output) connected to a Pinnacle TV Tuner
card for video conferencing with GnomeMeeting.

I have a slight problem, in that the camera shuts down after a few
minutes.

I could put a cassette in, and record to tape at the same time as using it
for a video chat, but would prefer to disable the auto shutdown, if
possible.

So far, I've not been able to find out how to do this. The handbok
doesn't mention it, and neither do my Google searches.

Any help?

Keith.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:45:51 PM

Look for a camcorder group.. but in the meantime, *if* it's connected
to AC power, with *no* tape in, and in record mode, I don't think it
should be shutting down... That is not normal camcorder behavior and
would prevent a number of types of use, so I would be very surprised if
you can't turn that function off.

Otherwise I suspect you may have a power supply problem.
May 31, 2005 2:30:46 AM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 05:57:25 -0700, chrlz wrote:

> Look for a camcorder group.. but in the meantime, *if* it's connected to
> AC power, with *no* tape in, and in record mode, I don't think it should
> be shutting down... That is not normal camcorder behavior and would
> prevent a number of types of use, so I would be very surprised if you
> can't turn that function off.
>
> Otherwise I suspect you may have a power supply problem.

I think you are right...

I hadn't thought of the AC adapter.

I have so many bits of kit (modem, USB hub, amplified speakers) with their
own 5V, 9V or 12V adapters, plus pronter, monitor and external CD writer,
that there were no more wall sockets left; I was running the camcorder off
its rechargeable battery.

Keith.
May 31, 2005 2:30:47 AM

Beef wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 05:57:25 -0700, chrlz wrote:
>
>> Look for a camcorder group.. but in the meantime, *if* it's
>> connected to AC power, with *no* tape in, and in record mode, I
>> don't think it should be shutting down... That is not normal
>> camcorder behavior and would prevent a number of types of use, so I
>> would be very surprised if you can't turn that function off.
>>
>> Otherwise I suspect you may have a power supply problem.
>
> I think you are right...
>
> I hadn't thought of the AC adapter.
>
> I have so many bits of kit (modem, USB hub, amplified speakers) with
> their own 5V, 9V or 12V adapters, plus pronter, monitor and external
> CD writer, that there were no more wall sockets left; I was running
> the camcorder off its rechargeable battery.
>
> Keith.

I wish each adapter just had it's own socket in the back - then you could
stack them together instead of running out of outlets.

Wouldn't that look nice, though, with about 10 of them on one wall outlet
:-)
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

"Beef" <beef@pas_de_SPAM_chez_moi.zz> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.30.20.30.46.149764@pas_de_SPAM_chez_moi.zz...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 05:57:25 -0700, chrlz wrote:
>
>> Look for a camcorder group.. but in the meantime, *if* it's connected to
>> AC power, with *no* tape in, and in record mode, I don't think it should
>> be shutting down... That is not normal camcorder behavior and would
>> prevent a number of types of use, so I would be very surprised if you
>> can't turn that function off.
>>
>> Otherwise I suspect you may have a power supply problem.
>
> I think you are right...
>
> I hadn't thought of the AC adapter.
>
> I have so many bits of kit (modem, USB hub, amplified speakers) with their
> own 5V, 9V or 12V adapters, plus pronter, monitor and external CD writer,
> that there were no more wall sockets left; I was running the camcorder off
> its rechargeable battery.
>
> Keith.

If you are in the USA there are power strips that have 6 receptacles per
strip.
For the wall warts, you can take short extension cords, the ones that have 2
sockets on one side and one socket on the other side. Put 2 wall warts per
cord.

Here is a 6 inch one from Radio Shack.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

If you are in the UK, I have no idea how to stack Mains power adapters.
If you were a electrician you could build a power box that had room for the
power adapters.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com