Installing Sony software killed my new computer!

Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
morning it would not come on at all.
The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
program I tried to install!

Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
with it? Any good?
18 answers Last reply
More about installing sony software killed computer

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message news:1105321318.293884.303130@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
    > a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
    > so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
    > came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
    > anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
    > morning it would not come on at all.
    > The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
    > dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
    > program I tried to install!
    >
    > Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
    > but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
    > installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
    > have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
    > with it? Any good?

    Nothing in Sony's software could kill a motherboard.

    It's either a remarkable coincidence, or your installer friend
    doesn't know what he's talking about. Before deciding the
    motherboard was dead I hope he at least took it out of the
    computer case and tested it properly.

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:55:11 -0800, "Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Nothing in Sony's software could kill a motherboard.

    True, but Image Mixer can make you want to kill yourself.

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote ...
    > Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles.
    > I own a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to
    > install the software so i could edit videos and send video clips
    > to family. Well, a window came up about compatibility with
    > Windows logo. I clicked install anyway. BIG MISTAKE.
    > The computer kept shutting down, and the next morning it would
    > not come on at all.

    If one could write software that would "kill" a motherboard,
    do you think that the virus scumballs and script kiddies wouldn't
    have done it already? The concept that a software application,
    particularly one from a big multinational corp, could cause such
    a thing is just plain silly.

    If you computer died, it is likely a result of "infant mortality"
    of some component. Nothing to do with applicaiton software,
    Sony's or otherwise.

    I'd question why you rejected the concept of trying Microsoft
    Movie Maker (or whatever its called) first. No installation or
    fooling around necessary.

    > It's either a remarkable coincidence, or your installer friend
    > doesn't know what he's talking about.

    I agree completely.

    Cory

    Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
    said:
    "The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
    Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
    compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
    software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
    immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
    this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
    has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
    STOP Installation.

    Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
    to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
    drive, or whatever.
    The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
    Microstaff WINASPI.

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote ...
    > Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
    > said:
    > "The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
    > Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
    > compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
    > software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your
    > system
    > immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
    > this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software
    > that
    > has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
    > STOP Installation.

    You haven't installed much software, have you? I can't remember
    the last time I installed a driver or application that DIDN'T display
    that warning. It is mostly a marketing ploy by Microsoft to enhance
    their income buy extorting money from hardware and software makers
    (in addition to you and me).

    > Still think software can't impair a machine?

    Yes.

    > The installer made sure to check everything in the lab to be
    > sure what the problem was, ie hard drive, or whatever.

    > The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer
    > for Sony and Microstaff WINASPI.

    Does your installer think you are the first on the planet to install
    that software? Perhaps time for a second opinion.

    FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
    I've NEVER seen that warning.
    I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
    get rude about it.
    Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    Bye.

    Software can impair operation as the warning stated. But software would not
    kill a motherboard - that is a hardware problem associated with defective or
    failing parts.

    The likely cause of the failure of your motherboard is because it was
    defective or improperly installed - the chances are that it is still under
    warranty. Just have it replaced then reinstall the Sony software. If the
    board dies again you can then claim the software did it - and you can still
    replace it under warranty.

    --
    Nigel Brooks

    > Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
    > said:
    > "The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
    > Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
    > compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
    > software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
    > immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
    > this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
    > has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
    > STOP Installation.
    >
    > Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
    > to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
    > drive, or whatever.
    > The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
    > Microstaff WINASPI.

    No, that is the honest truth. You only get that warning when installing
    drivers and very few pieces of hardware that I have installed have passed
    compatibility test by Microsoft, so I wouldn't let that little error message
    freak you out.

    Cory

    > FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
    > I've NEVER seen that warning.
    > I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
    > get rude about it.
    > Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    > Bye.

    If the software killed your computer the problem would be isolated to your
    hard drive.

    Likely the mobo was defective, or your guy didn't seat the cpu right, or
    used a cheap-ass, incorrect, defective(or perhaps used and internally dirty)
    power supply that shorted out, or at a longer shot maybe you have house
    wiring that needs testing.

    If your computer was automaticly shutting itself off it was detecting
    something and trying to save itself. If it turns off within seconds of
    powering up, perhaps long enough to see some of the DOS startup then its
    usually detecting something wrong with the power readings its getting from
    its board. It could be there was a defective device plugged into the
    computer. Anything attached to that mobo is suspect even a printer or your
    camcorder.

    If Windows booted up and you got a few minutes before the reboot - then it
    could be a loose pci card, unstable power from either your house wiring or
    your case's power transformer

    The only way I know of software being able to destroy a computer's chip via
    software is a rare issue with an old computer (20 plus years ago) that was a
    design defect that only appeared in one model. (a certain kernal call [a
    kernal is the basic set of functions a cpu is wired to perform] could send
    the cpu into an eternal loop until it burned itself out - it was an age when
    cpu's didn't usually have fans)

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message
    > Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
    > a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
    > so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
    > came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
    > anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
    > morning it would not come on at all.
    > The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
    > dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
    > program I tried to install!
    >
    > Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
    > but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
    > installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
    > have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
    > with it? Any good?

    The software didnt kill you mb so dont let the builder use that as an excuse
    to charge you more money.

    The motherboard died its as simple as that.

    Your software problem would have been cured by starting in safe mode and
    removing it!

    On 10 Jan 2005 05:22:47 -0800, apeets@ibl.bm wrote:

    >Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
    >said:
    >"The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
    >Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
    >compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
    >software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
    >immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
    >this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
    >has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
    >STOP Installation.

    This is a perfectly normal message, for any driver which has not
    been submitted to Microsoft for testing. A *lot* of drivers out there
    will trigger this message.

    >Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
    >to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
    >drive, or whatever.
    >The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
    >Microstaff WINASPI.

    The Microstaff CD/DVD writing software can interfere with other
    writing applications on the same machine. It is not the only CD
    writing app whose driver conflicts with others from other makers.
    Some other app preinstalled on the system may have triggered the
    conflict.

    AFAIK, the USB driver won't cause any such problem, and Imagemixer
    is just an editing program which doesn't alter the system drivers at
    all.

    All of these come with uninstallers, and you could also use the
    system restore feature.

    You can use the camera with firewire, no drivers needed, for video
    editing with any app which supports that (Moviemaker for example,
    which is free). You need the USB driver to access the camera via USB,
    for still pics and streaming video -- but if you need neither option,
    you don't need to install the software.

    In any case, conflicting drivers won't do any harm to the computer.
    You can remove them, usually without too much difficulty (in safe mode
    if nothing else). Worst case, and not a big deal on a new machine, is
    to reinstall the OS, wiping out everything and starting over.

    Well, then get used to it, cause with XPSP2 you will see it alot.

    So, what exactly was the software from the Sony disk you wanted to install?

    Once you get fixed, what editing app you use will depend on what you want
    your finished product to me. Lets assume that like most people you want to
    put your stuff on DVD. In that case, go to Best Buy or something and get one
    of the apps that combine capture-editing-authoring to Dvd all in one such as
    vegas movie studio or.....(pick one of many others there.) This is an
    appropropriate package for someone beginning in digital video.

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message news:1105372496.768654.301880@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
    > I've NEVER seen that warning.
    > I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
    > get rude about it.
    > Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    > Bye.

    Clueless and stubborn is a nasty combination, bud.

    apeets@ibl.bm wrote in

    > FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you)
    > and no I've NEVER seen that warning.
    > I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no
    > need to get rude about it.
    > Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    > Bye.

    Every response I've seen here was correct and polite. No one can be
    responsible for your inability to accept the truth.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    >> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
    >> I've NEVER seen that warning.
    >> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
    >> get rude about it.
    >> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    >> Bye.

    If you design and market computers so morons can use them, morons buy
    them and use them. Yet another reason why there are so many viruses
    and spyware programs in the world. Being ignorant with the tool you
    are usining makes YOU the problem.

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:50:13 -0800 "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
    wrote in Message id: <10u520pg4veuue9@corp.supernews.com>:

    >> Still think software can't impair a machine?
    >
    >Yes.

    Actually, a trojan *can* trash a motherboard's system BIOS. However,
    assuming that this really happened, I doubt it came from Sony.

    nobody got rude until you did sonny............."still think etc" was RUDE
    to the people trying to help you

    what a prick!

    <apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message
    > FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
    > I've NEVER seen that warning.
    > I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
    > get rude about it.
    > Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
    > Bye.

Tuner Cards Sony Computer Video Graphics