Installing Sony software killed my new computer!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2005 8:41:58 PM

Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
morning it would not come on at all.
The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
program I tried to install!

Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
with it? Any good?
January 9, 2005 8:55:11 PM

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message news:1105321318.293884.303130@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
> a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
> so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
> came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
> anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
> morning it would not come on at all.
> The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
> dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
> program I tried to install!
>
> Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
> but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
> installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
> have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
> with it? Any good?

Nothing in Sony's software could kill a motherboard.

It's either a remarkable coincidence, or your installer friend
doesn't know what he's talking about. Before deciding the
motherboard was dead I hope he at least took it out of the
computer case and tested it properly.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:17:00 AM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:55:11 -0800, "Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Nothing in Sony's software could kill a motherboard.

True, but Image Mixer can make you want to kill yourself.
January 10, 2005 2:57:27 AM

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote ...
> Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles.
> I own a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to
> install the software so i could edit videos and send video clips
> to family. Well, a window came up about compatibility with
> Windows logo. I clicked install anyway. BIG MISTAKE.
> The computer kept shutting down, and the next morning it would
> not come on at all.

If one could write software that would "kill" a motherboard,
do you think that the virus scumballs and script kiddies wouldn't
have done it already? The concept that a software application,
particularly one from a big multinational corp, could cause such
a thing is just plain silly.

If you computer died, it is likely a result of "infant mortality"
of some component. Nothing to do with applicaiton software,
Sony's or otherwise.

I'd question why you rejected the concept of trying Microsoft
Movie Maker (or whatever its called) first. No installation or
fooling around necessary.
January 10, 2005 4:05:39 AM

> It's either a remarkable coincidence, or your installer friend
> doesn't know what he's talking about.

I agree completely.

Cory
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:22:47 AM

Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
said:
"The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
STOP Installation.

Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
drive, or whatever.
The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
Microstaff WINASPI.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:50:13 AM

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote ...
> Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
> said:
> "The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
> Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
> compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
> software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your
> system
> immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
> this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software
> that
> has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
> STOP Installation.

You haven't installed much software, have you? I can't remember
the last time I installed a driver or application that DIDN'T display
that warning. It is mostly a marketing ploy by Microsoft to enhance
their income buy extorting money from hardware and software makers
(in addition to you and me).

> Still think software can't impair a machine?

Yes.

> The installer made sure to check everything in the lab to be
> sure what the problem was, ie hard drive, or whatever.

> The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer
> for Sony and Microstaff WINASPI.

Does your installer think you are the first on the planet to install
that software? Perhaps time for a second opinion.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 10:54:56 AM

FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
I've NEVER seen that warning.
I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
get rude about it.
Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
Bye.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:47:44 AM

Software can impair operation as the warning stated. But software would not
kill a motherboard - that is a hardware problem associated with defective or
failing parts.

The likely cause of the failure of your motherboard is because it was
defective or improperly installed - the chances are that it is still under
warranty. Just have it replaced then reinstall the Sony software. If the
board dies again you can then claim the software did it - and you can still
replace it under warranty.

--
Nigel Brooks

> Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
> said:
> "The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
> Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
> compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
> software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
> immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
> this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
> has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
> STOP Installation.
>
> Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
> to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
> drive, or whatever.
> The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
> Microstaff WINASPI.

January 10, 2005 12:30:24 PM

No, that is the honest truth. You only get that warning when installing
drivers and very few pieces of hardware that I have installed have passed
compatibility test by Microsoft, so I wouldn't let that little error message
freak you out.

Cory

> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
> I've NEVER seen that warning.
> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
> get rude about it.
> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
> Bye.

January 10, 2005 1:06:35 PM

If the software killed your computer the problem would be isolated to your
hard drive.

Likely the mobo was defective, or your guy didn't seat the cpu right, or
used a cheap-ass, incorrect, defective(or perhaps used and internally dirty)
power supply that shorted out, or at a longer shot maybe you have house
wiring that needs testing.

If your computer was automaticly shutting itself off it was detecting
something and trying to save itself. If it turns off within seconds of
powering up, perhaps long enough to see some of the DOS startup then its
usually detecting something wrong with the power readings its getting from
its board. It could be there was a defective device plugged into the
computer. Anything attached to that mobo is suspect even a printer or your
camcorder.

If Windows booted up and you got a few minutes before the reboot - then it
could be a loose pci card, unstable power from either your house wiring or
your case's power transformer

The only way I know of software being able to destroy a computer's chip via
software is a rare issue with an old computer (20 plus years ago) that was a
design defect that only appeared in one model. (a certain kernal call [a
kernal is the basic set of functions a cpu is wired to perform] could send
the cpu into an eternal loop until it burned itself out - it was an age when
cpu's didn't usually have fans)

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message
> Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
> a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
> so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
> came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
> anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
> morning it would not come on at all.
> The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
> dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
> program I tried to install!
>
> Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
> but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
> installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
> have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
> with it? Any good?

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:39:07 PM

The software didnt kill you mb so dont let the builder use that as an excuse
to charge you more money.

The motherboard died its as simple as that.

Your software problem would have been cured by starting in safe mode and
removing it!

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message
> Just got a new pc for Christmas with all the bells and whistles. I own
> a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-250, and I wanted to install the software
> so i could edit videos and send video clips to family. Well, a window
> came up about compatibility with Windows logo. I clicked install
> anyway. BIG MISTAKE. The computer kept shutting down, and the next
> morning it would not come on at all.
> The guy who built it for me tested it and said the motherboard was
> dead!! I never even got to play with the pc! This was the first
> program I tried to install!
>
> Anybody had this happen or know what happened? I got into Sony Chat
> but the analyser only told me what I knew already. He suggested I try
> installing it on another computer...I said no way! I guess I'll just
> have to use the MovieMaker that comes with XP...anyone have experience
> with it? Any good?

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:52:05 PM

On 10 Jan 2005 05:22:47 -0800, apeets@ibl.bm wrote:

>Ok, further information: This is exactly what the message/warning
>said:
>"The software you are installing for this hardware - Sony Digital
>Imaging Video - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
>compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this
>software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system
>immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop
>this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that
>has passed Windows Logo testing." Options given: Continue Anyway or
>STOP Installation.

This is a perfectly normal message, for any driver which has not
been submitted to Microsoft for testing. A *lot* of drivers out there
will trigger this message.

>Still think software can't impair a machine? The installer made sure
>to check everything in the lab to be sure what the problem was, ie hard
>drive, or whatever.
>The following was installed: Sony USB Driver, Imagemixer for Sony and
>Microstaff WINASPI.

The Microstaff CD/DVD writing software can interfere with other
writing applications on the same machine. It is not the only CD
writing app whose driver conflicts with others from other makers.
Some other app preinstalled on the system may have triggered the
conflict.

AFAIK, the USB driver won't cause any such problem, and Imagemixer
is just an editing program which doesn't alter the system drivers at
all.

All of these come with uninstallers, and you could also use the
system restore feature.

You can use the camera with firewire, no drivers needed, for video
editing with any app which supports that (Moviemaker for example,
which is free). You need the USB driver to access the camera via USB,
for still pics and streaming video -- but if you need neither option,
you don't need to install the software.

In any case, conflicting drivers won't do any harm to the computer.
You can remove them, usually without too much difficulty (in safe mode
if nothing else). Worst case, and not a big deal on a new machine, is
to reinstall the OS, wiping out everything and starting over.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
January 10, 2005 2:35:36 PM

Well, then get used to it, cause with XPSP2 you will see it alot.

So, what exactly was the software from the Sony disk you wanted to install?

Once you get fixed, what editing app you use will depend on what you want
your finished product to me. Lets assume that like most people you want to
put your stuff on DVD. In that case, go to Best Buy or something and get one
of the apps that combine capture-editing-authoring to Dvd all in one such as
vegas movie studio or.....(pick one of many others there.) This is an
appropropriate package for someone beginning in digital video.

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message
> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
> I've NEVER seen that warning.
> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
> get rude about it.
> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
> Bye.

January 10, 2005 3:26:16 PM

<apeets@ibl.bm> wrote in message news:1105372496.768654.301880@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
> I've NEVER seen that warning.
> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
> get rude about it.
> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
> Bye.

Clueless and stubborn is a nasty combination, bud.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:51:19 PM

apeets@ibl.bm wrote in

> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you)
> and no I've NEVER seen that warning.
> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no
> need to get rude about it.
> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
> Bye.

Every response I've seen here was correct and polite. No one can be
responsible for your inability to accept the truth.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

>> FYI I've installed plenty of software (maybe not as much as you) and no
>> I've NEVER seen that warning.
>> I was just trying to find an answer/solution to a problem...no need to
>> get rude about it.
>> Thanks to those who tried to give a solution.
>> Bye.

If you design and market computers so morons can use them, morons buy
them and use them. Yet another reason why there are so many viruses
and spyware programs in the world. Being ignorant with the tool you
are usining makes YOU the problem.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:40:31 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:50:13 -0800 "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
wrote in Message id: <10u520pg4veuue9@corp.supernews.com>:

>> Still think software can't impair a machine?
>
>Yes.

Actually, a trojan *can* trash a motherboard's system BIOS. However,
assuming that this really happened, I doubt it came from Sony.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:10:45 PM

nobody got rude until you did sonny............."still think etc" was RUDE
to the people trying to help you

what a prick!

!