Networking to a 98 machine

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I have a 98 machine that I would like to network to a XP. They are in the
same room so I am using a network cable.
My XP is an old 98 that I upgraded to an XP, I don't know if that would make
a difference or not.
Any help would be appreciated.

On the 98 machine, remove all network protocols except for TCP/IP.

If TCP/IP is already present, you may wish to uninstall it and then
reinstall it, to ensure that file and printer sharing is bound to TCP/IP.
Some machines have had this unbound as a security precaution.

That, and choosing the same workgroup name for both machines and working out
security issues--the 98 machine needs to use a username and password which
have been set up on the XP machine--is all that should be needed.

When you say "I am using a network cable": Bear in mind that simply
connecting the two network interface cards with a standard ethernet cable
will not work. If you aren't using a hub or a switch, you need to use a
specially wired crossover ethernet cable.

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 98 machine that I would like to network to a XP. They are in the
> same room so I am using a network cable.
> My XP is an old 98 that I upgraded to an XP, I don't know if that would
> make
> a difference or not.
> Any help would be appreciated.

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

On the xp machine I have tried repeatedly to go through the network wizard
and it keeps telling me that this machine can not be the host.

The instruction says that the wizard "guides you through the setup" but
obviously I need more guidance.

I ran the "Repair Connection" that is within the control panel, network
connection.
I received the following message
" The following steps of the repair operation failed: Flushing the ARP cache.
Please contact your network administrator or ISP"

I went through the wizard creating this computer as the host, but that
didn't work. I still get the same message "This computer can not be a host
computer"

I went through the wizard are setting up this computer as the host computer
and still get the same message.

I just can not understand it. XP has not been good for me.

Any suggestions?