James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm travelling overseas soon for 10months and I want a notebook to do some
work (student related work such as word, internet and maybe a few games -
nothing serious) and I also want to do some video editing. Not heaps just a
bit of home footage taken on my camcorder using Premiere Pro.

I have found a notebook that sounds perfect but just need a second opinion.

Compaq Presario 2267AP

Intel Celeron M Processor - 1.5Ghz
15' XGA
256MB DDR
40GB HAA
Combo Drive (I will purchase an external DVD burner)
56k modem
10/100 NIC
IEEE1394
JBL Pro Speakers
XP Home
802.11 b/g wireless

It sounds perfect for $1300, do you think it will do the trick??

Thanks

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

No and here's why. You're going to want at least 512MB for video editing,
and you're probably going to fall asleep with that speed of a processor. I
don't know what other people think but I'd go for at least 2.0GHz, maybe
more. And that hard drive...unless you're just doing a LITTLE bit of
editing, you're going to need like an 80GB, or maybe just an external drive.
Just my opinion...

Cory

"James" <john@none.come> wrote in message
> I'm travelling overseas soon for 10months and I want a notebook to do some
> work (student related work such as word, internet and maybe a few games -
> nothing serious) and I also want to do some video editing. Not heaps just
> bit of home footage taken on my camcorder using Premiere Pro.
>
> I have found a notebook that sounds perfect but just need a second
opinion.

> Compaq Presario 2267AP
>
> Intel Celeron M Processor - 1.5Ghz
> 15' XGA
> 256MB DDR
> 40GB HAA
> Combo Drive (I will purchase an external DVD burner)
> 56k modem
> 10/100 NIC
> IEEE1394
> JBL Pro Speakers
> XP Home
> 802.11 b/g wireless
>
> It sounds perfect for $1300, do you think it will do the trick??
>
> Thanks

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks,

I have a desktop at home, P4 256mb ram, 2.4Ghz and it runs fine although I
know what you mean about render times. If a notebook is plugged into the AC
can you leave it run all night rendering or will it overheat. (I know
nothing about notebooks, if there is anything else I should know will you
please tell me...) As for the amount of editing it really is only a small
amount.

Thanks

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
> No and here's why. You're going to want at least 512MB for video editing,
> and you're probably going to fall asleep with that speed of a processor. I
> don't know what other people think but I'd go for at least 2.0GHz, maybe
> more. And that hard drive...unless you're just doing a LITTLE bit of
> editing, you're going to need like an 80GB, or maybe just an external
> drive.
> Just my opinion...
>
> Cory
>
> "James" <john@none.come> wrote in message
>> I'm travelling overseas soon for 10months and I want a notebook to do
>> some
>> work (student related work such as word, internet and maybe a few games -
>> nothing serious) and I also want to do some video editing. Not heaps just
>> bit of home footage taken on my camcorder using Premiere Pro.
>>
>> I have found a notebook that sounds perfect but just need a second
> opinion.
>>
>> Compaq Presario 2267AP
>>
>> Intel Celeron M Processor - 1.5Ghz
>> 15' XGA
>> 256MB DDR
>> 40GB HAA
>> Combo Drive (I will purchase an external DVD burner)
>> 56k modem
>> 10/100 NIC
>> IEEE1394
>> JBL Pro Speakers
>> XP Home
>> 802.11 b/g wireless
>>
>> It sounds perfect for $1300, do you think it will do the trick??
>>
>> Thanks

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Yeah I'm not just talking about render times. The actual playback in your
timeline with any transitions or effects might be a little choppy, and you
may have problems with dropped frames, too. But I wouldn't know because I
don't have that amount of memory to try it with.

> Thanks,
>
> I have a desktop at home, P4 256mb ram, 2.4Ghz and it runs fine although I
> know what you mean about render times. If a notebook is plugged into the
AC
> can you leave it run all night rendering or will it overheat. (I know
> nothing about notebooks, if there is anything else I should know will you
> please tell me...) As for the amount of editing it really is only a small
> amount.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
> > No and here's why. You're going to want at least 512MB for video
editing,
> > and you're probably going to fall asleep with that speed of a processor.
> > don't know what other people think but I'd go for at least 2.0GHz, maybe
> > more. And that hard drive...unless you're just doing a LITTLE bit of
> > editing, you're going to need like an 80GB, or maybe just an external
> > drive.
> > Just my opinion...
> >
> > Cory
> >
> > "James" <john@none.come> wrote in message
> >> I'm travelling overseas soon for 10months and I want a notebook to do
> >> some
> >> work (student related work such as word, internet and maybe a few
games -
> >> nothing serious) and I also want to do some video editing. Not heaps
just
> >> bit of home footage taken on my camcorder using Premiere Pro.
> >>
> >> I have found a notebook that sounds perfect but just need a second
> > opinion.
> >>
> >> Compaq Presario 2267AP
> >>
> >> Intel Celeron M Processor - 1.5Ghz
> >> 15' XGA
> >> 256MB DDR
> >> 40GB HAA
> >> Combo Drive (I will purchase an external DVD burner)
> >> 56k modem
> >> 10/100 NIC
> >> IEEE1394
> >> JBL Pro Speakers
> >> XP Home
> >> 802.11 b/g wireless
> >>
> >> It sounds perfect for $1300, do you think it will do the trick??
> >>
> >> Thanks

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks,

a.. PROCESSOR - Intel Celeron M processor 340 1.5Ghz (400 MHz FSB)
a.. MEMORY - 256MB DDR memory
a.. HARD DRIVE - 40GB 4200rpm
a.. OPTICAL DRIVE - CDRW?DVD ROM Drive
a.. READ AND WRITE SPEED - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. COLOUR DISPLAY - 15" XGA
a.. RESOLUTION - 1024 x 768 resolution
a.. VIDEO - Integrated Intel Graphics with up to 64MB of shared system
memory for graphics
a.. TV-OUT PORT - TV-out (S-video)
a.. AUDIO - 16 bit stereo; Volume up?down?mute buttons
a.. LAN - Yes
a.. MODEM - High speed 56K modem
a.. SPEAKERS - 2 Pro speakers
a.. CARD READER - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. DISKETTE DRIVE - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. USB PORT - Two USB 2.0
a.. PARALLEL PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. SERIAL PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. PC CARD SLOT - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. IEEE1394 PORT - Yes
a.. INFRA-RED PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. BLUETOOTH - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. SECURITY OPTIONS - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 7.0, Microsoft
Money 2004, Microsoft Encarta 2004 (CD), Microsoft Windows Media Player 9,
Microsoft Windows MovieMaker 2.0, Sonic RecordNow, Intervideo WinDVD,
InterVideo WinDVD Creator, Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, Apple iTunes for
Windows, Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (60 days live update)
a.. ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - Not specified by Manufacturer
a.. WEIGHT - 3.09kg
a.. WARRANTY - 12 month warranty

They are the actual specs I've just found them online. What is a PC Card
slot, Serial port, Parallel port... does this mean I can't upgrade the RAM
etc?? Is parallel port for the printer??? If so that is ok, I'll be
connected to a network most of the time with printer.

Thanks again.

> Yeah I'm not just talking about render times. The actual playback in your
> timeline with any transitions or effects might be a little choppy, and you
> may have problems with dropped frames, too. But I wouldn't know because I
> don't have that amount of memory to try it with.
>
> Cory
>
> "James" <john@none.come> wrote in message
>> Thanks,
>>
>> I have a desktop at home, P4 256mb ram, 2.4Ghz and it runs fine although
>> know what you mean about render times. If a notebook is plugged into the
> AC
>> can you leave it run all night rendering or will it overheat. (I know
>> nothing about notebooks, if there is anything else I should know will you
>> please tell me...) As for the amount of editing it really is only a small
>> amount.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
>> > No and here's why. You're going to want at least 512MB for video
> editing,
>> > and you're probably going to fall asleep with that speed of a
>> > processor.
>> > don't know what other people think but I'd go for at least 2.0GHz,
>> > maybe
>> > more. And that hard drive...unless you're just doing a LITTLE bit of
>> > editing, you're going to need like an 80GB, or maybe just an external
>> > drive.
>> > Just my opinion...
>> >
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > "James" <john@none.come> wrote in message
> games -
> just

>> > opinion.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you think this one is worth $AU500 more?? Keeping in mind I still need an
external DVD burner and possibly HDD...

a.. PROCESSOR - Mobile Intel Pentium 4 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
3.06GHz (533MHz)
a.. MEMORY - 256MB, total memory expandable to 1280MB
a.. HARD DRIVE - 30GB
a.. OPTICAL DRIVE - CD-RW?DVD Combo
a.. READ AND WRITE SPEED - Read: CD-ROM?CD-Rx24, CD-RWx12, DVD-ROMx8,
DVD-R?-RWx4, DVD-RAMx2, Write: CD-Rx16,CD-RWx4, HS CD-RWx10
a.. COLOUR DISPLAY - 15" XGA Active Matrix colour display
a.. RESOLUTION - 1024 x 768
a.. VIDEO - ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP UMA video memory 3D Graphics
accelerator support for DirectX 9.0, 64Bit Bus Width
a.. TV-OUT PORT - S-Video
a.. AUDIO - AC '97 Software Sound with Direct3DSound
a.. LAN - 10?100 Base TX Ethernet
a.. MODEM - International V.90 modem + fax
a.. SPEAKERS - Stereo loudspeakers
a.. CARD READER - 3-in-1 card reader (Secure Digital, MMC, Memory Stick)
a.. DISKETTE DRIVE - Nil
a.. USB PORT - Hi-Speed USB 2.0
a.. PARALLEL PORT - Yes
a.. SERIAL PORT - Not specified by manufacturer
a.. PC CARD SLOT - One PC Card slot supports one Type II PC Card
a.. IEEE1394 PORT - Yes
a.. INFRA-RED PORT - Fast InfraRed
a.. BLUETOOTH - Nil
a.. SECURITY OPTIONS - Not specified by manufacturer
a.. SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 (OEM), Microsoft Office OneNote
2003, Toshiba hardware drivers, Toshiba utilities, RecordNow! CD+DVD,
ConfigFree, Win DVD Creator 2 Platinum, WIN DVD, Toshiba Speech System,
Adobe Acrobat Reader
a.. ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - 2.0 hours
a.. WEIGHT - Not specified by manufacturer
a.. WARRANTY - 1 year international parts and labour warranty