Bad audio synch for large file in Premiere ?

Have a large AVI file (26 Gig, 120 minutes) captured from camcorder. When
played with Windows Media Player - the audio and video are synched fine
throughout tape.

But when I read into Premiere, the audio and video lose synch, during both
preview and after output to AVI.

I check the project Settings Viewer - and the audio specs (32 Hz, 16 bit
Stereo, uncompressed) are consistent across capture, project, and playback.

Any ideas what's going on ? Is input file too "unwiedly" ?

If I split input AVI into separate files - would that help ?

Thanks for any comments / help !

"DelawareDave" wrote ...
> Have a large AVI file (26 Gig, 120 minutes) captured from camcorder.
> When
> played with Windows Media Player - the audio and video are synched
> fine
> throughout tape.
>
> But when I read into Premiere, the audio and video lose synch, during
> both
> preview and after output to AVI.
>
> I check the project Settings Viewer - and the audio specs (32 Hz, 16
> bit
> Stereo, uncompressed) are consistent across capture, project, and
> playback.
>
> Any ideas what's going on ? Is input file too "unwiedly" ?
>
> If I split input AVI into separate files - would that help ?
>
> Thanks for any comments / help !

What camcorder? Analog? Digital? DV?

How did you get the video into the computer? Analog capture?
Using what hardware? software? DV/Firewire digital transfer?

Why 32KHz?

Sorry - it's digital camcorder (Sony TRV310). captured using Premiere.

The computer is a Sony 1.7 GHz, 512 Mb, plenty of disk space. I'm assuming
the speed of the computer has nothing to do with sync - correct ? Just
takes longer - but slower computer won't "get it out of sync".

The captured AVI file is fine when viewed with Windows Media player. It's
only once in Premiere that sync is lost.

Why 32 Hz ? I don't know - all my files come over that way from camcorder -
guess that's what it's set at. Is 48 Hz less likely to lose sync ? I
wouldn't think so.

> "DelawareDave" wrote ...
> > Have a large AVI file (26 Gig, 120 minutes) captured from camcorder.
> > When
> > played with Windows Media Player - the audio and video are synched
> > fine
> > throughout tape.
> >
> > But when I read into Premiere, the audio and video lose synch, during
> > both
> > preview and after output to AVI.
> >
> > I check the project Settings Viewer - and the audio specs (32 Hz, 16
> > bit
> > Stereo, uncompressed) are consistent across capture, project, and
> > playback.
> >
> > Any ideas what's going on ? Is input file too "unwiedly" ?
> >
> > If I split input AVI into separate files - would that help ?
> >
> > Thanks for any comments / help !
>
> What camcorder? Analog? Digital? DV?
>
> How did you get the video into the computer? Analog capture?
> Using what hardware? software? DV/Firewire digital transfer?
>
> Why 32KHz?

Fix the problem - used Virtual Dub to split base raw AVI file - when I read
in segments in Premiere - the synch is fine.....

"DelawareDave" <davejunkmail123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Have a large AVI file (26 Gig, 120 minutes) captured from camcorder. When
> played with Windows Media Player - the audio and video are synched fine
> throughout tape.
>
> But when I read into Premiere, the audio and video lose synch, during both
> preview and after output to AVI.
>
> I check the project Settings Viewer - and the audio specs (32 Hz, 16 bit
> Stereo, uncompressed) are consistent across capture, project, and
playback.

> Any ideas what's going on ? Is input file too "unwiedly" ?
>
> If I split input AVI into separate files - would that help ?
>
> Thanks for any comments / help !

I have the identical problem this week. I will try your workaround
tonight. I wonder if this problem is caused by XP SP2... Dave, when did
you install SP2? Did you have this problem before?

suzie

I get that problem sometimes... I just move the audio so it lines up before
I edit.

<ThumperStrauss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have the identical problem this week. I will try your workaround
> tonight. I wonder if this problem is caused by XP SP2... Dave, when did
> you install SP2? Did you have this problem before?

I have SP2 - don't know if I had audio sync before.

Don't see how SP2 could be problem - big file plays fine in Windows Media
Player.

I'm going to keep using smaller capture files - easier to work with anyhow.

Good luck !

<ThumperStrauss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have the identical problem this week. I will try your workaround
> tonight. I wonder if this problem is caused by XP SP2... Dave, when did
> you install SP2? Did you have this problem before?

DelawareDave,

I tried your workaround (splitting the 13GB AVI file into smaller piece
with VirtualDub before importing into Premiere Pro) and now everything
works fine.

- TS