Setting up a wireless internet connection.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M35x-s149 and would like to have a wireless
connection to the internet (Highspeed). I would like to use my laptop in
several locations of my home without having that ugly black wire running
along the floor. Would anyone help me get started and tell me what I need to
buy and how to install it myself? The guys don't think a girl can do it.
Help me prove them wrong. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about setting wireless internet connection

    beautiful wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite M35x-s149 and would like to have a wireless
    > connection to the internet (Highspeed). I would like to use my
    > laptop in several locations of my home without having that ugly black
    > wire running along the floor. Would anyone help me get started and
    > tell me what I need to buy and how to install it myself? The guys
    > don't think a girl can do it. Help me prove them wrong. Thanks.

    Do you have a high-speed connection in your home already? (DSL/Cable Modem)

    If so, then all you should need is a DSL/Cable Modem Wireless Router (Like a
    Buffalo, D-Link, LinkSys or Netgear) and a wireless PCMCIA network card
    (unless your particular laptop has a built in wireless card.)

    Once you get that, the setup of each is well explained in their independent
    manuals.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    On 4/11/04 7:51 am, in article OVxSRMkwEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:

    > Do you have a high-speed connection in your home already? (DSL/Cable Modem)
    >
    > If so, then all you should need is a DSL/Cable Modem Wireless Router (Like a
    > Buffalo, D-Link, LinkSys or Netgear) and a wireless PCMCIA network card
    > (unless your particular laptop has a built in wireless card.)
    >
    > Once you get that, the setup of each is well explained in their independent
    > manuals.

    Beautiful, If you plan to use your Internet connection with the Toshiba
    lappie and only the Toshiba lappie, then I agree with Shenan and Happy
    Surfing to you.

    If, however, you plan to use more than one computer - a desktop of your own,
    or a visitor's lappie, for instance - please be aware that some Internet
    service providers configure their systems to work with only one computer,
    and others may not be recognised.

    If that is the case, you would at least need to be sure that the DSL/Cable
    Modem Wireless Router was capable of MAC address cloning - which although
    common, is not universal in routers - and may also need to cover other bases
    with your ISP...

    Either way, good luck.

    As long as you have dsl at home , then your next step is to purchase an ADSL
    router, look out for the ones that ship with free wireless pcmcia card for
    your laptop. Connect your dsl cable (supplied) from router to micro
    filter(phone line), configure your router and go away and test your wireless
    connection thorughout your home.
    P.S. Make sure SSID is the same on all machines as it is on router.

    "beautiful" wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba Satellite M35x-s149 and would like to have a wireless
    > connection to the internet (Highspeed). I would like to use my laptop in
    > several locations of my home without having that ugly black wire running
    > along the floor. Would anyone help me get started and tell me what I need to
    > buy and how to install it myself? The guys don't think a girl can do it.
    > Help me prove them wrong. Thanks.

Connection Wireless Internet Windows XP