Cached credentials, VPN connection, authentication failed.

Dirk

Hi,

Client: Windows XP Pro SP2

Server: Windows 2000 Server SP4 (DC, AD)

I logon to my laptop with cached domain credentials (Event ID: 5719, Source:
Netlogon). I start a VPN connection to my corporate network with a Cisco VPN
client. I can ping our servers,...

When I want to make a connection to a server share \\192.168.0.3\data i see
a window asking my domain credentials. I give these credentials:
DOMAIN\Username and the password (same as the cached domain credentials). I
receive an error message that: "this account is the same as the one logged
on to the system and that this account was tried before to logon. There is
no domain controller available to validate this account."

At the same time i see these errors in the system log of the Windows XP
client:

Event ID: 40960, Source: LSASRV, Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)

Event ID: 40961, Source: LSASRV, Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)

When i use other credentials to logon to this share (DOMAIN\AnotherUsername
and the password - NOT the same credentials as the cached domain
credentials) there is no problem. I don't see any messages in the event log.

When i logon to this laptop with a local account (no cached domain
credentials), start the VPN connection and make a connection to
\\192.168.0.3\data with DOMAIN\Username i don't have any problem either.

It seems that the problem is that the logon process only wants to validate
my account only one time. At start-up the domain controller is not yet
available and thus the system is using the cashed domain credentials. When
my domain controller is available (vpn is active) the system doesn't want to
validate my account anymore....

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Dirk

Replied in another group.
Dirk wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Client: Windows XP Pro SP2
>
> Server: Windows 2000 Server SP4 (DC, AD)
>

> I logon to my laptop with cached domain credentials (Event ID: 5719,
> Source: Netlogon). I start a VPN connection to my corporate network
> with a Cisco VPN client. I can ping our servers,...
>

> When I want to make a connection to a server share \\192.168.0.3\data
> i see a window asking my domain credentials. I give these credentials:
> DOMAIN\Username and the password (same as the cached domain
> credentials). I receive an error message that: "this account is the
> same as the one logged on to the system and that this account was
> tried before to logon. There is no domain controller available to
> validate this account."
>

> At the same time i see these errors in the system log of the Windows
> XP client:
>
> Event ID: 40960, Source: LSASRV, Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
>
> Event ID: 40961, Source: LSASRV, Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
>

> When i use other credentials to logon to this share
> (DOMAIN\AnotherUsername and the password - NOT the same credentials
> as the cached domain credentials) there is no problem. I don't see
> any messages in the event log.
>

> When i logon to this laptop with a local account (no cached domain
> credentials), start the VPN connection and make a connection to
> \\192.168.0.3\data with DOMAIN\Username i don't have any problem
> either.
>

> It seems that the problem is that the logon process only wants to
> validate my account only one time. At start-up the domain controller
> is not yet available and thus the system is using the cashed domain
> credentials. When my domain controller is available (vpn is active)
> the system doesn't want to validate my account anymore....
>

> Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Dirk

TRENDING THREADS