Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do you use a TechNet Subscription?

Last response: in Windows 8
November 15, 2012 12:53:27 PM

I'm considering buying the Standard TechNet Subscription due to needing 4 windows licences. I've built several new HTPC and the win 8, 90 eval copy has served it's purpose and its time for a more permanent solution.

1. From anyone who's used it at home I'd appreciate any insight, positive or negative.

2. Buying from Amazon is cheaper than directly from MS, but Amazon's listing is "Technet 2010 Standard Subscription." Should I be concerned with the "2010" or is it the same product as the direct MS purchase?

3. I know MS recently changed the # of keys, but it sounds like you get 5 activations per key which works for me. There does seem to be a bit of confusion in the forums concerning whether the OS will stop working entirely when your subscription ends and not renewed. It seems in the past you simply no longer have access to porthole and other benefits. I don't see any reason I wouldn't renew but if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance for any info, I'd like to pull the trigger on this purchase in the next couple of days. Few days off for Thanksgiving & needing a "legitimate" project to get away from the in-laws for a few hours.

More about : technet subscription

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 1:52:46 PM

You would need to purchase two subscriptions, as the TechNet Pro (both with and without media shipments) only comes with 3 keys per product. The standard sub comes with 2 keys per product.

1. As a subscriber for the past several years, I am a bit biased in that I have seen the number of licenses reduced a couple of times. I actually believe Microsoft when they say they did it to combat piracy, but to be somewhat fair, they did reduce the subscription price, and create new, cheaper options. Overall though, I enjoy it and think it's still a pretty good deal.

2. I wouldn't worry... 99% sure it's the same product as what you would get buying directly from Microsoft. If you are still concerned, call Amazon and confirm it before buying.

3. I believe you get 10 activations per key, but I am not 100% sure of that anymore. If I am wrong, it's definitely no less than 5 per.

To clear up the confusion, the OS will NOT stop working if your subscription lapses. What will happen is:
a. You lose access to the Technet portal as you always did if your subscription ran out.
b. New activations using your Technet provided licenses will stop working until you renew. If your subscription lapses, it will NOT deactivate any existing software installs. It will only prevent you from activating new installs using your keys until you renew.
November 15, 2012 2:02:00 PM

The_Prophecy said:
You would need to purchase two subscriptions, as the TechNet Pro (both with and without media shipments) only comes with 3 keys per product. The standard sub comes with 2 keys per product.

1. As a subscriber for the past several years, I am a bit biased in that I have seen the number of licenses reduced a couple of times. I actually believe Microsoft when they say they did it to combat piracy, but to be somewhat fair, they did reduce the subscription price, and create new, cheaper options. Overall though, I enjoy it and think it's still a pretty good deal.

2. I wouldn't worry... 99% sure it's the same product as what you would get buying directly from Microsoft. If you are still concerned, call Amazon and confirm it before buying.

3. I believe you get 10 activations per key, but I am not 100% sure of that anymore. If I am wrong, it's definitely no less than 5 per.

To clear up the confusion, the OS will NOT stop working if your subscription lapses. What will happen is:
a. You lose access to the Technet portal as you always did if your subscription ran out.
b. New activations using your Technet provided licenses will stop working until you renew. If your subscription lapses, it will NOT deactivate any existing software installs. It will only prevent you from activating new installs using your keys until you renew.

Honestly could not have asked for a better response, thank you very much The_Prophecy. I'm going to order today, Amazon says they'll have it to me tomorrow so I should be ready to roll by Monday with the 3 day activation wait.

Thanks again and if you're interested I'll follow up with you concerning activations per key.
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:02:21 PM

Best answer selected by bjaminnyc.
m
l
!