S-Video Output from new laptop acting weird question...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 12:49:13 PM

Hey all,

With the New laptop I have now, i can use an s-video cable to
output to a TV just fine. However, I am on vacation and the tv only
has RCA video in. A friend gave me what I thought was an S-video to
RCA adapter. So, i plug the adapter in my laptop S-Video out port,
then run an RCA video cable to the TV.....nothing happened. Upon
closer inspection, it turns out that the "s-video" end of the adapter
actually has a ton more pins in it than a regular s-video cable. It
fits fine, but i cannot get any output from it. Unlike svideo, it's
all pins with no little black rectangle thing. I would say there are
close to 10 pins. what is this, will is still work?

Thanks,

Matt
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 7:48:28 PM

magicianstalk@hotmail.com wrote in

> Hey all,
>
> With the New laptop I have now, i can use an s-video cable to
> output to a TV just fine. However, I am on vacation and the tv
> only has RCA video in. A friend gave me what I thought was an
> S-video to RCA adapter. So, i plug the adapter in my laptop
> S-Video out port, then run an RCA video cable to the
> TV.....nothing happened. Upon closer inspection, it turns out
> that the "s-video" end of the adapter actually has a ton more pins
> in it than a regular s-video cable. It fits fine, but i cannot
> get any output from it. Unlike svideo, it's all pins with no
> little black rectangle thing. I would say there are close to 10
> pins. what is this, will is still work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

It's an adapter for a specific video card that plugs into a
multi-purpose socket on the video card. Different adapters connect
to different pins on the computer end of the cable to provide
different functions at the other end.

It will only work on the original video card - or at least some (but
probably not all) other cards by the same maker.

You might be just plain lucky that nothing was damaged by using this
adapter.

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

So....

Even if my new compaq laptop has the s-video out port (with all of
the extra pin holes) i still have to use a regular svideo cable? The
one with all the pins wont send video even if all the pins match?

Matt

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
> magicianstalk@hotmail.com wrote in
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > With the New laptop I have now, i can use an s-video cable to
> > output to a TV just fine. However, I am on vacation and the tv
> > only has RCA video in. A friend gave me what I thought was an
> > S-video to RCA adapter. So, i plug the adapter in my laptop
> > S-Video out port, then run an RCA video cable to the
> > TV.....nothing happened. Upon closer inspection, it turns out
> > that the "s-video" end of the adapter actually has a ton more pins
> > in it than a regular s-video cable. It fits fine, but i cannot
> > get any output from it. Unlike svideo, it's all pins with no
> > little black rectangle thing. I would say there are close to 10
> > pins. what is this, will is still work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt
> >

> It's an adapter for a specific video card that plugs into a
> multi-purpose socket on the video card. Different adapters connect
> to different pins on the computer end of the cable to provide
> different functions at the other end.
>
> It will only work on the original video card - or at least some (but
> probably not all) other cards by the same maker.
>
> You might be just plain lucky that nothing was damaged by using this
> adapter.
>
> HTH,
> Gino
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
> Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2005 9:51:54 PM

In article <1105670898.738616.160900@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
magicianstalk@hotmail.com says...
> Subject: Re: S-Video Output from new laptop acting weird question...
> From: magicianstalk@hotmail.com
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> So....
>
> Even if my new compaq laptop has the s-video out port (with all of
> the extra pin holes) i still have to use a regular svideo cable? The
> one with all the pins wont send video even if all the pins match?
>
> Matt

You could get a proper universal s-video to composite adaptor instead of
that proprietary one you appear to have.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com