Is getting the correct IP my problem?

I have reviewed several "how to" websites, posts at this newsgroup, and
other references and I am positive my home pc is set up correctly. I'm
trying to connect from work to home. Others at work do the same
successfully to their own home boxes. I use remote desktop at work
successfully to connect to work related servers, although after connecting
to their networks via dial up.

WinXP Pro, SP2, behind a linksys router. cable modem. local zone alarm FW
is turned off, and windows xp firewall is disabled.

I have never been able to even get to a log in. I have tried several "what
is my IP" sites and I get the same IP every time, yet I can never ping it
from another PC. ( I was able to ping the IP from my own PC.).

I'm guessing that since I cannot get to a log in that (I hope) the IP is my
problem. Is there anyway to troubleshoot?

Thanks

CPK wrote:
> I have reviewed several "how to" websites, posts at this newsgroup,
> and other references and I am positive my home pc is set up
> correctly. I'm trying to connect from work to home. Others at work
> do the same successfully to their own home boxes. I use remote
> desktop at work successfully to connect to work related servers,
> although after connecting to their networks via dial up.
>
> WinXP Pro, SP2, behind a linksys router. cable modem. local zone
> alarm FW is turned off, and windows xp firewall is disabled.
>
> I have never been able to even get to a log in. I have tried several
> "what is my IP" sites and I get the same IP every time, yet I can
> never ping it from another PC. ( I was able to ping the IP from my
> own PC.).
> I'm guessing that since I cannot get to a log in that (I hope) the IP
> is my problem. Is there anyway to troubleshoot?

You are getting the IP of the router and then setting up the router to
forward port 3389 to your private internal 192.168.x.x IP, correct?

--
<- Shenan ->

Sorry. forgot to mention. Yes, have 3389 forwarded in the router set up.
( I can't remember if I have the UDP or TCP (?) setting or both check. I
think it was just TCP (may be a letter off in these acronyms)

> You are getting the IP of the router and then setting up the router to
> forward port 3389 to your private internal 192.168.x.x IP, correct?

You say you have XP SP2, in the Windows Firewall did you make sure that the
Remote Desktop exception is checked? You might not be able to ping your
router or IP address from the outside. Your ISP could be blocking it or
your router might be blocking it.

--
Eric Renken
Microsoft Associate Expert.

"CPK" <cpk@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have reviewed several "how to" websites, posts at this newsgroup, and
>other references and I am positive my home pc is set up correctly. I'm
>trying to connect from work to home. Others at work do the same
>successfully to their own home boxes. I use remote desktop at work
>successfully to connect to work related servers, although after connecting
>to their networks via dial up.
>
> WinXP Pro, SP2, behind a linksys router. cable modem. local zone alarm FW
> is turned off, and windows xp firewall is disabled.
>
> I have never been able to even get to a log in. I have tried several
> "what is my IP" sites and I get the same IP every time, yet I can never
> ping it from another PC. ( I was able to ping the IP from my own PC.).
>
> I'm guessing that since I cannot get to a log in that (I hope) the IP is
> my problem. Is there anyway to troubleshoot?
>
> Thanks

Yes, it's checked, which I thought was checked as a result of enabling
remote desktop via the System / Remote tab. Regardless it's checked.

thanks at any rate.

"Eric Renken" <ericrenken@msn.com> wrote in message
> You say you have XP SP2, in the Windows Firewall did you make sure that
> the Remote Desktop exception is checked? You might not be able to ping
> your router or IP address from the outside. Your ISP could be blocking it
> or your router might be blocking it.
>
> --
> Eric Renken
> Microsoft Associate Expert.
> Expert Zone

This site has everything you need to accomplish the mission.
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-remote-desktop-overview.html
Be sure to note the differences between Remote Desktop Standard and Web.

"CPK" wrote:

> I have reviewed several "how to" websites, posts at this newsgroup, and
> other references and I am positive my home pc is set up correctly. I'm
> trying to connect from work to home. Others at work do the same
> successfully to their own home boxes. I use remote desktop at work
> successfully to connect to work related servers, although after connecting
> to their networks via dial up.
>
> WinXP Pro, SP2, behind a linksys router. cable modem. local zone alarm FW
> is turned off, and windows xp firewall is disabled.
>
> I have never been able to even get to a log in. I have tried several "what
> is my IP" sites and I get the same IP every time, yet I can never ping it
> from another PC. ( I was able to ping the IP from my own PC.).
>
> I'm guessing that since I cannot get to a log in that (I hope) the IP is my
> problem. Is there anyway to troubleshoot?
>
> Thanks

Have you tried this telnet test from the remote location to see if you can pinpoint the problem
area?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628

Have you tested Remote Desktop from another PC over your home LAN just to make sure you can connect
locally, ie. Remote Desktop is setup correctly. If that works then its an issue with your router
and/or ISP...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"CPK" <cpk@nospam.com> wrote in message news:O27RCR6wEHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Yes, it's checked, which I thought was checked as a result of enabling remote desktop via the
> System / Remote tab. Regardless it's checked.
>
> thanks at any rate.
>

> "Eric Renken" <ericrenken@msn.com> wrote in message
>> You say you have XP SP2, in the Windows Firewall did you make sure that the Remote Desktop
>> exception is checked? You might not be able to ping your router or IP address from the outside.
>> Your ISP could be blocking it or your router might be blocking it.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Renken
>> Microsoft Associate Expert.
>> Expert Zone

Linksys routers are set not to respond to pings by default.

This is at the bottom of the first page reached by the orange advanced
tab--filters??--"block wan request"--change that to disabled, and you should
be able to ping.