how to remote desktop thru network

hi
i want to remote control from home a computer in a network at work. I loaded
the programs in both computers, but can't connect.
it's not clear if i have to, and how to, add users, and if i have to do
something with the ports or with the router in the workplace network.
thanks
17 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop network

    adrian wrote:
    > i want to remote control from home a computer in a network at work. I
    > loaded the programs in both computers, but can't connect.
    > it's not clear if i have to, and how to, add users, and if i have to
    > do something with the ports or with the router in the workplace
    > network. thanks

    You left out a lot of vital information.

    1) What is your OS? Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional?
    (Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop capabilities - you should
    use UltraVNC)

    2) You meantioned you "loaded the programs in both computers" - what
    programs?
    (With Windows XP Professional, you need to load nothing - it's there.)
    (With Windows XP Home, the Client for Remote Desktop is already there.)
    (With two Windows XP Home PCs, I suggest UltraVNC again.)

    3) Do you have control of the router at work?
    Are the ports for Remote Desktop (or whatever "program" you installed)
    opened and/or forwarded through the router?

    4) If you do have control of the "router" - what kind?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi. Thanks for your help.
    I have XP prof at work (host) and ME at home (client).
    I loaded the remote desktop connection software in the home computer. At
    work I checked the "allow remote desktop" box.
    I have access to the router (it's a linksys), but don't know how to
    open/forward the ports.
    Adrian

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > adrian wrote:
    > > i want to remote control from home a computer in a network at work. I
    > > loaded the programs in both computers, but can't connect.
    > > it's not clear if i have to, and how to, add users, and if i have to
    > > do something with the ports or with the router in the workplace
    > > network. thanks
    >
    > You left out a lot of vital information.
    >
    > 1) What is your OS? Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional?
    > (Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop capabilities - you should
    > use UltraVNC)
    >
    > 2) You meantioned you "loaded the programs in both computers" - what
    > programs?
    > (With Windows XP Professional, you need to load nothing - it's there.)
    > (With Windows XP Home, the Client for Remote Desktop is already there.)
    > (With two Windows XP Home PCs, I suggest UltraVNC again.)
    >
    > 3) Do you have control of the router at work?
    > Are the ports for Remote Desktop (or whatever "program" you installed)
    > opened and/or forwarded through the router?
    >
    > 4) If you do have control of the "router" - what kind?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Its dependent on your router... See this page for help with port forwarding through your particular
    router...

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    General help...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. Thanks for your help.
    > I have XP prof at work (host) and ME at home (client).
    > I loaded the remote desktop connection software in the home computer. At
    > work I checked the "allow remote desktop" box.
    > I have access to the router (it's a linksys), but don't know how to
    > open/forward the ports.
    > Adrian
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> adrian wrote:
    >> > i want to remote control from home a computer in a network at work. I
    >> > loaded the programs in both computers, but can't connect.
    >> > it's not clear if i have to, and how to, add users, and if i have to
    >> > do something with the ports or with the router in the workplace
    >> > network. thanks
    >>
    >> You left out a lot of vital information.
    >>
    >> 1) What is your OS? Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional?
    >> (Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop capabilities - you should
    >> use UltraVNC)
    >>
    >> 2) You meantioned you "loaded the programs in both computers" - what
    >> programs?
    >> (With Windows XP Professional, you need to load nothing - it's there.)
    >> (With Windows XP Home, the Client for Remote Desktop is already there.)
    >> (With two Windows XP Home PCs, I suggest UltraVNC again.)
    >>
    >> 3) Do you have control of the router at work?
    >> Are the ports for Remote Desktop (or whatever "program" you installed)
    >> opened and/or forwarded through the router?
    >>
    >> 4) If you do have control of the "router" - what kind?
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    hi
    I opened the 3389 port in the router, but still can't connect. what else
    should i do?
    Thanks

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Its dependent on your router... See this page for help with port forwarding through your particular
    > router...
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >
    > General help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. Thanks for your help.
    > > I have XP prof at work (host) and ME at home (client).
    > > I loaded the remote desktop connection software in the home computer. At
    > > work I checked the "allow remote desktop" box.
    > > I have access to the router (it's a linksys), but don't know how to
    > > open/forward the ports.
    > > Adrian

    > >> You left out a lot of vital information.
    > >>
    > >> 1) What is your OS? Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional?
    > >> (Windows XP Home does not have Remote Desktop capabilities - you should
    > >> use UltraVNC)
    > >>
    > >> 2) You meantioned you "loaded the programs in both computers" - what
    > >> programs?
    > >> (With Windows XP Professional, you need to load nothing - it's there.)
    > >> (With Windows XP Home, the Client for Remote Desktop is already there.)
    > >> (With two Windows XP Home PCs, I suggest UltraVNC again.)
    > >>
    > >> 3) Do you have control of the router at work?
    > >> Are the ports for Remote Desktop (or whatever "program" you installed)
    > >> opened and/or forwarded through the router?
    > >>
    > >> 4) If you do have control of the "router" - what kind?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> <- Shenan ->
    > >> --
    > >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Did you call the office PC using the public IP of the office router? If so, what happened? Any error
    messages? You might want to test this over the office LAN first from another local PC to make sure
    its working...

    --

    > hi
    > I opened the 3389 port in the router, but still can't connect. what else
    > should i do?
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Its dependent on your router... See this page for help with port forwarding through your
    >> particular
    >> router...
    >>
    >> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >>
    >> General help...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi. Thanks for your help.
    >> > I have XP prof at work (host) and ME at home (client).
    >> > I loaded the remote desktop connection software in the home computer. At
    >> > work I checked the "allow remote desktop" box.
    >> > I have access to the router (it's a linksys), but don't know how to
    >> > open/forward the ports.
    >> > Adrian

    I can't connect over the office LAN.
    I might be using the wrong computer name, user name and/or passwords, since
    I've created so many during the whole installation/setup process. Where do I
    find the right values?

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Did you call the office PC using the public IP of the office router? If so, what happened? Any error
    > messages? You might want to test this over the office LAN first from another local PC to make sure
    > its working...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi
    > > I opened the 3389 port in the router, but still can't connect. what else
    > > should i do?
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Its dependent on your router... See this page for help with port forwarding through your
    > >> particular
    > >> router...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    > >>
    > >> General help...
    > >>
    > >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>
    > >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Look at this page for links to the various how-tos needed to enable Remote Desktop, authorize users,
    how to find the correct local LAN IP to call, etc...

    This must work over your local office LAN before you attempt to connect from a remote location.

    --

    >I can't connect over the office LAN.
    > I might be using the wrong computer name, user name and/or passwords, since
    > I've created so many during the whole installation/setup process. Where do I
    > find the right values?
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you call the office PC using the public IP of the office router? If so, what happened? Any
    >> error
    >> messages? You might want to test this over the office LAN first from another local PC to make
    >> sure
    >> its working...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Hi
    I'm almost there: now I can connect while inside the network, but when using
    the same computer name, user name and password from home, it doesn't work.
    Should I use a different IP?
    I already enabled the 3389 port in the router.

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Look at this page for links to the various how-tos needed to enable Remote Desktop, authorize users,
    > how to find the correct local LAN IP to call, etc...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > This must work over your local office LAN before you attempt to connect from a remote location.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I can't connect over the office LAN.
    > > I might be using the wrong computer name, user name and/or passwords, since
    > > I've created so many during the whole installation/setup process. Where do I
    > > find the right values?
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did you call the office PC using the public IP of the office router? If so, what happened? Any
    > >> error
    > >> messages? You might want to test this over the office LAN first from another local PC to make
    > >> sure
    > >> its working...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    adrian wrote:
    > I'm almost there: now I can connect while inside the network, but
    > when using the same computer name, user name and password from home,
    > it doesn't work. Should I use a different IP?
    > I already enabled the 3389 port in the router.

    You are using the Router's public IP?
    The IP of the system behind the router would undoubtedly be unavailable.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    If you look at the "Call Scheme from a remote location" section of the page I pointed you to it
    explains how to find the public IP of the router. Call using that IP or setup an alternative method
    of calling using a fully qualified domain name...

    --

    > Hi
    > I'm almost there: now I can connect while inside the network, but when using
    > the same computer name, user name and password from home, it doesn't work.
    > Should I use a different IP?
    > I already enabled the 3389 port in the router.
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Look at this page for links to the various how-tos needed to enable Remote Desktop, authorize
    >> users,
    >> how to find the correct local LAN IP to call, etc...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> This must work over your local office LAN before you attempt to connect from a remote location.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Got it. It's working. Thanks!!!!
    Last thing: I'm calling using the IP of the router, but it's a dynamic IP.
    If I sign up to No-IP from the host computer, will it trace the router's IP?

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > If you look at the "Call Scheme from a remote location" section of the page I pointed you to it
    > explains how to find the public IP of the router. Call using that IP or setup an alternative method
    > of calling using a fully qualified domain name...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I'm almost there: now I can connect while inside the network, but when using
    > > the same computer name, user name and password from home, it doesn't work.
    > > Should I use a different IP?
    > > I already enabled the 3389 port in the router.
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Look at this page for links to the various how-tos needed to enable Remote Desktop, authorize
    > >> users,
    > >> how to find the correct local LAN IP to call, etc...
    > >>
    > >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    > >>
    > >> This must work over your local office LAN before you attempt to connect from a remote location.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Yes, I use the No-IP.com service for that purpose and simply call my home XP Pro box using my chosen
    fully qualified domain name. It works very well.

    --

    > Got it. It's working. Thanks!!!!
    > Last thing: I'm calling using the IP of the router, but it's a dynamic IP.
    > If I sign up to No-IP from the host computer, will it trace the router's IP?
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> If you look at the "Call Scheme from a remote location" section of the page I pointed you to it
    >> explains how to find the public IP of the router. Call using that IP or setup an alternative
    >> method
    >> of calling using a fully qualified domain name...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> > I'm almost there: now I can connect while inside the network, but when using
    >> > the same computer name, user name and password from home, it doesn't work.
    >> > Should I use a different IP?
    >> > I already enabled the 3389 port in the router.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hi. I'm calling using "myname.no-ip.com" as the computer name, and the same
    user and password I was using with the IP number. With the IP works, but not
    with no-ip.
    (No-IP is already running in the host computer)
    What else should I do?

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Yes, I use the No-IP.com service for that purpose and simply call my home XP Pro box using my chosen
    > fully qualified domain name. It works very well.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Got it. It's working. Thanks!!!!
    > > Last thing: I'm calling using the IP of the router, but it's a dynamic IP.
    > > If I sign up to No-IP from the host computer, will it trace the router's IP?
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you look at the "Call Scheme from a remote location" section of the page I pointed you to it
    > >> explains how to find the public IP of the router. Call using that IP or setup an alternative
    > >> method
    > >> of calling using a fully qualified domain name...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>
    > >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You can check to see if the no-ip.com alias is mapping to the correct IP address by doing the
    following...

    1. On the PC open IE and go to http://www.whatismyip.com and note the reported IP.
    2. On the PC go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd in the command line window.
    3. Type the "nslookup Your.no-ip.com" alias and note the reported IP.

    The reported IP addresses should be the same in Steps 1 and 3.

    Note that if you reboot your PC or the ISP renews your assigned IP address, it may take a few
    minutes for the No-IP servers to detect that and propagate that information over the public
    internet...

    You also might run No-IP as a service so it starts automatically on reboot of your PC. You can also
    adjust the update time period in the configuration for more frequent polling of the servers...
    --

    > Hi. I'm calling using "myname.no-ip.com" as the computer name, and the same
    > user and password I was using with the IP number. With the IP works, but not
    > with no-ip.
    > (No-IP is already running in the host computer)
    > What else should I do?
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I use the No-IP.com service for that purpose and simply call my home XP Pro box using my
    >> chosen
    >> fully qualified domain name. It works very well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Got it. It's working. Thanks!!!!
    >> > Last thing: I'm calling using the IP of the router, but it's a dynamic IP.
    >> > If I sign up to No-IP from the host computer, will it trace the router's IP?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    the numbers at "whatismyip.com" and "nslookup adrian.no-ip.com" are
    different, and the first one is the one that works.
    When I click the no-ip icon it shows the same number than whatismyip.com,
    though.
    Adrian

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > You can check to see if the no-ip.com alias is mapping to the correct IP address by doing the
    > following...
    >
    > 1. On the PC open IE and go to http://www.whatismyip.com and note the reported IP.
    > 2. On the PC go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd in the command line window.
    > 3. Type the "nslookup Your.no-ip.com" alias and note the reported IP.
    >
    > The reported IP addresses should be the same in Steps 1 and 3.
    >
    > Note that if you reboot your PC or the ISP renews your assigned IP address, it may take a few
    > minutes for the No-IP servers to detect that and propagate that information over the public
    > internet...
    >
    > You also might run No-IP as a service so it starts automatically on reboot of your PC. You can also
    > adjust the update time period in the configuration for more frequent polling of the servers...
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I'm calling using "myname.no-ip.com" as the computer name, and the same
    > > user and password I was using with the IP number. With the IP works, but not
    > > with no-ip.
    > > (No-IP is already running in the host computer)
    > > What else should I do?
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yes, I use the No-IP.com service for that purpose and simply call my home XP Pro box using my
    > >> chosen
    > >> fully qualified domain name. It works very well.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>
    > >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Do you have the no-ip program running on a PC on your network? It has to be running in order for it
    to update the no-ip servers...

    I installed no-ip as a system service so it starts automatically when I start/restart/reboot my
    PC...Its called NoIPDUCService and should indicate a "Started" state in the service list. I also
    have it set to start "Automatically". To check that go to "Start -> Run" and type services.msc at
    the command prompt. Scroll down till you find the NoIPDUCService...

    You might want to look at the no-ip support pages for further help...

    --

    > the numbers at "whatismyip.com" and "nslookup adrian.no-ip.com" are
    > different, and the first one is the one that works.
    > When I click the no-ip icon it shows the same number than whatismyip.com,
    > though.
    > Adrian
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> You can check to see if the no-ip.com alias is mapping to the correct IP address by doing the
    >> following...
    >>
    >> 1. On the PC open IE and go to http://www.whatismyip.com and note the reported IP.
    >> 2. On the PC go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd in the command line window.
    >> 3. Type the "nslookup Your.no-ip.com" alias and note the reported IP.
    >>
    >> The reported IP addresses should be the same in Steps 1 and 3.
    >>
    >> Note that if you reboot your PC or the ISP renews your assigned IP address, it may take a few
    >> minutes for the No-IP servers to detect that and propagate that information over the public
    >> internet...
    >>
    >> You also might run No-IP as a service so it starts automatically on reboot of your PC. You can
    >> also
    >> adjust the update time period in the configuration for more frequent polling of the servers...
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi. I'm calling using "myname.no-ip.com" as the computer name, and the same
    >> > user and password I was using with the IP number. With the IP works, but not
    >> > with no-ip.
    >> > (No-IP is already running in the host computer)
    >> > What else should I do?

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Also beware of what they call "TTL" for domains... TTL stands for the
    "Time To Live". Basically, DNS servers will cache/store your IP
    address for an amount of time close to the TTL (I believe most go up
    to 80% of the TTL time). Thus, if your TTL is 15 minutes and your IP
    address has just changed, you have a chance that you will be unable to
    access your site for the 15 minutes... Dynamic DNS providers offer
    different TTLs (at one point, DynDNS used 5 minutes, ZoneEdit allowed
    configurable ones - but they were limited to 15 minutes minimum. I
    don't have any idea about no-ip, though...)...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:07:18 -0600, "Sooner Al"
    <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

    >Do you have the no-ip program running on a PC on your network? It has to be running in order for it
    >to update the no-ip servers...
    >
    >I installed no-ip as a system service so it starts automatically when I start/restart/reboot my
    >PC...Its called NoIPDUCService and should indicate a "Started" state in the service list. I also
    >have it set to start "Automatically". To check that go to "Start -> Run" and type services.msc at
    >the command prompt. Scroll down till you find the NoIPDUCService...
    >
    >You might want to look at the no-ip support pages for further help...

Remote Desktop Windows XP