Windows Remote Desktop Assistance

November 7, 2004 4:57:01 PM

I need some help setting up Microsoft Remote Desktop.

I am trying to connect from a laptop PC running Windows 2000 at work to a PC
running XP behind a Linksys router on my home network. I have downloaded the
remote desktop client to my laptop and confirmed that it can connect to my
home PC from within my home network. However, when I am at work I am not able
to connect to my home PC. I am able to connect to my home network router’s
admin functions so I know I have the correct IP address for the router. The
home PC is set up with a static IP address. I have set up forwarding on my
home router to forward port 3389 to the home PC I am trying to connect to. I
try to connect to my home PC using the router IP address:3389. Anyone have
any ideas on what I might be missing? Are there any other router settings
that I need to make sure are done correctly? I have tried to confirm that my
laptop PC is using the correct port for remote desktop by checking for the
following registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

But it does not exist. The TerminalServer section does not contain WinStations

I know of other people at work who have been able to connect to their home
PCs using this technique so I do not believe this access is being blocked
from work.
November 7, 2004 11:03:01 PM

I need help also actually I have been trying all day to connect to the host
computer with no luck. I first went to Start-all programs
-accessories-connections-remote desktop, I then put the isp of the host
computer in computer name and fill in the rest apporopriately but It won't
let me connect. I also have tried through the VPN to no avail. I am wondering
if it has something to do with the fact that when I go to Add/Remove programs
and then go to add/remove window components there is no ISS listed only
explorer. Can someone anyone PLEASE HELP! -Thanks

"remotehelpneeded" wrote:

> I need some help setting up Microsoft Remote Desktop.
>
> I am trying to connect from a laptop PC running Windows 2000 at work to a PC
> running XP behind a Linksys router on my home network. I have downloaded the
> remote desktop client to my laptop and confirmed that it can connect to my
> home PC from within my home network. However, when I am at work I am not able
> to connect to my home PC. I am able to connect to my home network router’s
> admin functions so I know I have the correct IP address for the router. The
> home PC is set up with a static IP address. I have set up forwarding on my
> home router to forward port 3389 to the home PC I am trying to connect to. I
> try to connect to my home PC using the router IP address:3389. Anyone have
> any ideas on what I might be missing? Are there any other router settings
> that I need to make sure are done correctly? I have tried to confirm that my
> laptop PC is using the correct port for remote desktop by checking for the
> following registry entry
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
>
> But it does not exist. The TerminalServer section does not contain WinStations
>
> I know of other people at work who have been able to connect to their home
> PCs using this technique so I do not believe this access is being blocked
> from work.

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:24:58 PM

"remotehelpneeded" <remotehelpneeded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:BE9782FB-BFFD-42B4-97C2-31722F00E3ED@microsoft.com

> I am trying to connect from a laptop PC running Windows 2000 at work
> to a PC running XP behind a Linksys router on my home network. I have
> downloaded the remote desktop client to my laptop and confirmed that
> it can connect to my home PC from within my home network. However,
> when I am at work I am not able to connect to my home PC. I am able
> to connect to my home network router's admin functions so I know I
> have the correct IP address for the router. The home PC is set up
> with a static IP address. I have set up forwarding on my home router
> to forward port 3389 to the home PC I am trying to connect to. I try
> to connect to my home PC using the router IP address:3389. Anyone
> have any ideas on what I might be missing?

Some ideas to check:

Your home PC might have gone into Standby after a period of idleness. On
the home PC, use control panel "Power Options" to set "Standby" and
"Hibernate" to "Never".

Your home PC might have a firewall. Configure the firewall to permit
incoming connections on TCP port 3389. With Windows Firewall, you simple
check the entry "Remote Desktop" in the Exceptions list.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk