What software to add a title menu to a DVD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 12, 2005 5:15:14 PM

I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of software
out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a symple
Title Menu prior to burning the disc???

Thanks in advance.

Adrian
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:15:15 PM

"Adrian" <adrian_dont_send_me_spam_bradshaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of software
> out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a
> symple
> Title Menu prior to burning the disc???
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Adrian

You could have WinAVI produce DVD compliant MPEG
files and then Author them with a real authoring program.

TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) will accept the DVD Video
Data in a VIDEO_TS folder, as input when it authors a DVD.
Just set the menu options to main menu only.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:43:01 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:36:24 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Adrian" <adrian_dont_send_me_spam_bradshaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of software
>> out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a
>> symple
>> Title Menu prior to burning the disc???
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

> You could have WinAVI produce DVD compliant MPEG
>files and then Author them with a real authoring program.
>
> TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) will accept the DVD Video
>Data in a VIDEO_TS folder, as input when it authors a DVD.
>Just set the menu options to main menu only.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Or you could capture them in AVI and edit them if he would have
mentioned how he captured them, if he did.
January 12, 2005 6:43:02 PM

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:36:24 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Adrian" <adrian_dont_send_me_spam_bradshaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of
>>>software
>>> out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a
>>> symple
>>> Title Menu prior to burning the disc???
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Adrian
>>>

>> You could have WinAVI produce DVD compliant MPEG
>>files and then Author them with a real authoring program.
>>
>> TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) will accept the DVD Video
>>Data in a VIDEO_TS folder, as input when it authors a DVD.
>>Just set the menu options to main menu only.
>>
>>Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> Or you could capture them in AVI and edit them if he would have
> mentioned how he captured them, if he did.

When an AVI "Editor" makes DVDs it has to at some point encode
the AVI (whatever that means now a days) into DVD compliant MPEG.
Then it has to "Author" a DVD, which includes turning any menu graphics
into a working menu, as well as producing the VIDEO_TS file structure
and VOB files.

Since an AVI can contain one of a number of different formats, there
are now specialized programs like WinAVI and DVD Santa, that simplify
the process while dealing with the differences. A separate Authoring
program like TDA or DVDLab can provide many more options to make
a more full featured DVD.

Luck;
Ken
January 12, 2005 7:13:46 PM

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Or you could capture them in AVI and edit them if he would have
> mentioned how he captured them, if he did.

More info...

I, with a little help from a friend are trying to transfer a small library
of VHS recordings to DVD. He has a video capture card but no DVD burner. I
have the burner but no capture card!

At the moment, I am receiving recordings in AVI format on multiple CD-RW
discs and using WinAVI to generate DVD data using the feature which sets
compressin to fit on a single disc.

I have used Sonic MyDVD on some discs, which allows me to author from AVI
files and generate a menu. The problem is that I can't get as much content
as I would like on the disc because it only supports authoring at "full"
quality - IE < 1.5hours - I'd like to get about 2 hours (4 half-hour
episodes) on each. Also, the transcoding is very slow compared to WinAVI.

I'm not after anything fancy, just a basic front-end menu to pick one of the
four episodes on the disc.

Adrian
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:13:47 PM

> "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>> Or you could capture them in AVI and edit them if he would have
>> mentioned how he captured them, if he did.
>
> More info...
>
> I, with a little help from a friend are trying to transfer a small library
> of VHS recordings to DVD. He has a video capture card but no DVD burner. I
> have the burner but no capture card!
>
> At the moment, I am receiving recordings in AVI format on multiple CD-RW
> discs and using WinAVI to generate DVD data using the feature which sets
> compressin to fit on a single disc.
>
> I have used Sonic MyDVD on some discs, which allows me to author from AVI
> files and generate a menu. The problem is that I can't get as much content
> as I would like on the disc because it only supports authoring at "full"
> quality - IE < 1.5hours - I'd like to get about 2 hours (4 half-hour
> episodes) on each. Also, the transcoding is very slow compared to WinAVI.
>
> I'm not after anything fancy, just a basic front-end menu to pick one of
> the
> four episodes on the disc.
>
> Adrian

Your friend should be the one converting the AVI captures
to DVD compliant MPEG clips. That way he would need
fewer CD-RW disks, also. I would also be encoding the
TV Episodes to 1/2 D1 (352x480 NTSC) VBR ~4000 or
90 CQ. Then you can author and burn the DVDs on your
system. For just removing commercials, the editing features
of your favorite Authoring program should be good enough.
I understand that if you set MyDVD's options to exactly
match your input MPEG, it won't automatically re-encode.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:18:06 PM

On a sunny day (Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:15:14 -0000) it happened "Adrian"
<adrian_dont_send_me_spam_bradshaw@yahoo.com> wrote in <41e530f1.0@entanet>:

>I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of software
>out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a symple
>Title Menu prior to burning the disc???
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Adrian
Yes, and I would even go a step back, and work on the mpeg2 files you must have
made.
http://www.wershofen.de/downloads/dvdwizard.tar.gz
will do it all automatic in Linux for free, including nice thumbnails of
your clips.
Linux is sort of free too.
I dunno about MS windows, think nobody uses that anymore...
;-)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:25:49 AM

>I have produced DVDs from AVIs using WinAVI. Is there any piece of software
>out there which will work with the VIDEO_TS / VOB files to produce a symple
>Title Menu prior to burning the disc???

DVDStyler is a basic freeware DVD authoring program that should be
able to handle that simple task.
!