Remote Desktop vs. Other products

wendy

The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?

Thanks!

You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
"Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
> I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
> feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
> machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
> into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
> with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
> anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
>
> Thanks!

wendy

Thank you for the advice, the tsshutdn works from the run line. If I use the
/reboot switch it will reboot. I wish there was an easier way for the end
user. If anyone knows of an easier way for the end-user please let me know.

Thanks!

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
> "Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
> do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
> Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
> > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
> > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
> > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
> > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
> > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
> > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
> >
> > Thanks!

I use a product called Beyond Remote, it can be found at
http://www.dataapples.com

Mike

"Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote
access.
> I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
> feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
> machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
> into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course
as
> with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins.
Can
> anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
>
> Thanks!

You might check out logmein.com.