Remote Desktop vs. Other products

The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop products

    You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
    "Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
    do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
    Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thank you for the advice, the tsshutdn works from the run line. If I use the
    /reboot switch it will reboot. I wish there was an easier way for the end
    user. If anyone knows of an easier way for the end-user please let me know.

    Thanks!

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
    > "Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
    > do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
    > Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    > > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I use a product called Beyond Remote, it can be found at
    http://www.dataapples.com

    Mike

    "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote
    access.
    > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course
    as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins.
    Can
    > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You might check out logmein.com.

    "Wendy" wrote:

    > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    >
    > Thanks!

Remote Desktop Products Windows XP