Remote Desktop vs. Other products

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop products
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
    "Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
    do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
    Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".

--
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4867B4E4-8E2E-404F-ACA4-C1D680031F88@microsoft.com...
    > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thank you for the advice, the tsshutdn works from the run line. If I use the
    /reboot switch it will reboot. I wish there was an easier way for the end
    user. If anyone knows of an easier way for the end-user please let me know.

Thanks!

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> You could use either "tsshutdn" or "shutdown" from the command line on the remote PC. Go to
    > "Start -> Help and Support" and search on both to get the proper syntax. In addition, the user can
    > do a "Ctl - Alt - End" key sequence in the Remote Desktop area and bring up the remote PC "Task
    > Manager". Then go to "Shutdown" and select either "Turn Off" or "Restart".
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    >
    > "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:4867B4E4-8E2E-404F-ACA4-C1D680031F88@microsoft.com...
    > > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > > I am looking into alternatives and have looked a bit at MS Remote Desktop
    > > feature. So far the things I dislike are the inability to restart the host
    > > machine remotely and I am not too sold on the security. I have also looked
    > > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    > > anyone offer me advice if they have used any of the products listed?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I use a product called Beyond Remote, it can be found at
    http://www.dataapples.com

Mike

"Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4867B4E4-8E2E-404F-ACA4-C1D680031F88@microsoft.com...
    > The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote
    access.
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course
    as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins.
    Can
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

You might check out logmein.com.

"Wendy" wrote:

> The company where I work currently uses VPN and PCAnywhere for remote access.
    > into GoToMyPC by Citrix and it looks like a good secure program. Of course as
    > with everything, cost is a factor and in that arena Remote Desktop wins. Can
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Remote Desktop Products Windows XP