Simple question re: VCR thru PC

Forgive me if this is obvious -- it's hard to find an answer among the
many returns any search generates.

Right now I'm trying to do something very simple -- take an old 400mhz
Windows 98 computer that I'm not doing anything with and play a VCR
through its monitor.

I have the VCR hooked up to the graphics card, and the signal does go
in. I know this because the card came with a trial version of a simple
DV recording program, and the picture shows. But it's not al that stable
a program, and is only a 30-day version.

Ideally, I'd just like some simple piece of software, cheap or free,
that will just play, full-screen, whatever video is coming in through
the input.

Any suggestions?

In article <41e5857e$0$563$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
masspete@my-deja.com says...
> Subject: Simple question re: VCR thru PC
> From: Pete from Boston <masspete@my-deja.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Forgive me if this is obvious -- it's hard to find an answer among the
> many returns any search generates.
>
> Right now I'm trying to do something very simple -- take an old 400mhz
> Windows 98 computer that I'm not doing anything with and play a VCR
> through its monitor.
>
> I have the VCR hooked up to the graphics card, and the signal does go
> in. I know this because the card came with a trial version of a simple
> DV recording program, and the picture shows. But it's not al that stable
> a program, and is only a 30-day version.
>
> Ideally, I'd just like some simple piece of software, cheap or free,
> that will just play, full-screen, whatever video is coming in through
> the input.
>
> Any suggestions?

It would depend on what chipset the card has. There might even been
something available fromt he card's manufacturer.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

martin

"Pete from Boston" <masspete@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Forgive me if this is obvious -- it's hard to find an answer among the
> many returns any search generates.
>
> Right now I'm trying to do something very simple -- take an old 400mhz
> Windows 98 computer that I'm not doing anything with and play a VCR
> through its monitor.
>
> I have the VCR hooked up to the graphics card, and the signal does go in.
> I know this because the card came with a trial version of a simple DV
> recording program, and the picture shows. But it's not al that stable a
> program, and is only a 30-day version.
>
> Ideally, I'd just like some simple piece of software, cheap or free, that
> will just play, full-screen, whatever video is coming in through the
> input.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'd definately recommend that you look at the freeware DScaler.

http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

If it works with your pc and hardware then it'll do exactly as you wish.

Martin.