how can I improve rendering time

I am in the process of copying my old videos to my hard drive, do some
editting and burning them onto a dvd and want to build a system that will
shorten the rendering time my current system takes. I am thinking about
buying a amd 64 bit processor / motherboard and 128 ati video card.
Currently I got the following

amd xp 2600+ pro
512 mb 33mhz
2X40 gig hard drive 7200 rpm
pioneer dvd burner
msi 64mb video
msi video capture/ tv tuner card
ulead dvd movie factory

When I copy vhs tapes to my hard drive and then try to burn it the ulead
program can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 3- 4 hours to render just to
render the video before it burns it to the disc. I user to have a p3 with
256 mb and it would take anywhere from 50 minutes to 6 hours. The funny
thing is that if I copy 1 hour segements from a video tape one tape can take
50 minutes and the other can take 6 hours. What causes the fluculation in
rendering time and items detertime the rendering time?

"northernsurferboy" wrote ...
> I am in the process of copying my old videos to my hard drive, do some
> editting and burning them onto a dvd and want to build a system that
> will shorten the rendering time my current system takes.

Consider using capture hardware that encodes MPEG2
directly (instead of "rendering" them later as you are doing.)

northernsurferboy wrote:
> I am in the process of copying my old videos to my hard drive, do some
> editting and burning them onto a dvd and want to build a system that
> will shorten the rendering time my current system takes. I am
> thinking about buying a amd 64 bit processor / motherboard and 128
> ati video card. Currently I got the following
>
> amd xp 2600+ pro
> 512 mb 33mhz
> 2X40 gig hard drive 7200 rpm
> pioneer dvd burner
> msi 64mb video
> msi video capture/ tv tuner card
> ulead dvd movie factory
>
> When I copy vhs tapes to my hard drive and then try to burn it the
> ulead program can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 3- 4 hours to
> render just to render the video before it burns it to the disc. I
> user to have a p3 with 256 mb and it would take anywhere from 50
> minutes to 6 hours. The funny thing is that if I copy 1 hour
> segements from a video tape one tape can take 50 minutes and the
> other can take 6 hours. What causes the fluculation in rendering time
> and items detertime the rendering time?

It's all in the software.

Save some money and buy CCE Lite ($60?). With your machine, you should be
able to render full DVD compliant video at 1.4 - 1.5 real time ie 1 hour in
45 minutes. Consistantly.
--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.

> Consider using capture hardware that encodes MPEG2
> directly (instead of "rendering" them later as you are doing.)

Any idea how the quality of the encode from h/w based cards compares to say,
a high bitrate dual pass VBR encode from ProCoder or CCE? I'd be interested
in seeing if there was a difference or if anyone has ever evaluated the
differences between h/w and s/w encoders. It probably doesn't make much
difference on a small TV but if put on a big screen monster, it just might.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

I get better results from a software solution rather than hardware. I
have the Hauppauge 150 that has a hardware mpeg2 capture feature that
is real time but I can't tweak as well as with software. I also have
a Pioneer TIVO with 4 capture settings with extreme being full DVD at
~9.8 megs a sec. Capture quality from HDTV looks great but again
limited tweaks so software is again more practical. There are other
hi-end hardware encoders for your computer that start around $2k that
do a terrific job.

"Commentator" <commentator@nospam.com> wrote in message
> northernsurferboy wrote:
>> I am in the process of copying my old videos to my hard drive, do some
>> editting and burning them onto a dvd and want to build a system that
>> will shorten the rendering time my current system takes. I am
>> thinking about buying a amd 64 bit processor / motherboard and 128
>> ati video card. Currently I got the following
>>
>> amd xp 2600+ pro
>> 512 mb 33mhz
>> 2X40 gig hard drive 7200 rpm
>> pioneer dvd burner
>> msi 64mb video
>> msi video capture/ tv tuner card
>> ulead dvd movie factory
>>
>> When I copy vhs tapes to my hard drive and then try to burn it the
>> ulead program can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 3- 4 hours to
>> render just to render the video before it burns it to the disc. I
>> user to have a p3 with 256 mb and it would take anywhere from 50
>> minutes to 6 hours. The funny thing is that if I copy 1 hour
>> segements from a video tape one tape can take 50 minutes and the
>> other can take 6 hours. What causes the fluculation in rendering time
>> and items detertime the rendering time?
>
> It's all in the software.
>
> Save some money and buy CCE Lite ($60?). With your machine, you should be
> able to render full DVD compliant video at 1.4 - 1.5 real time ie 1 hour
> in 45 minutes. Consistantly.
> --
> I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.

That, or upgrade DVD MF. Dvd Movie Factory 3 is much faster than version 2.

1. faster CPU
2. hyperthreaded P4 or AMD 64 processor
3. more ram

4. Hardware MPEG-2 capture card with real-time conversion to MPEG-2
5. Cinema Craft Encoder for the MPEG-2 encoding (one of the fastest
MPEG-2 software encoders out there)

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

You may want to try a Linux / open source solution. At least it will
be the cheapest of the proposals offerred here. Go to the
alt.video.dvd.authoring newsgroup for more information. Your hardware
is quite sufficient and the AMD64 processor will probably only speed
things up by 30% or so.

Whatever you switch into (excluding the new CPU/mobo) may have an
undesired effect on quality: that is, if you're already happy with the
quality you're obtaining. I personally don't find 4 hour rendering
times all that prohibitive as long as you can schedule them while your
asleep. (You do sleep four hours or more, don't you?)

I recommend the MEPIS linux distribution if you should decide that
direction for ease of use and quality. Its the new LInux distribution
that is gaining wide support quickly. Heck, I'm using it to type this
entry! See www.distrowatch.com for more info on the distributions.

Chuck U. Farley wrote:
>> Consider using capture hardware that encodes MPEG2
>> directly (instead of "rendering" them later as you are doing.)
>
> Any idea how the quality of the encode from h/w based cards compares
> to say, a high bitrate dual pass VBR encode from ProCoder or CCE?
> I'd be interested in seeing if there was a difference or if anyone
> has ever evaluated the differences between h/w and s/w encoders. It
> probably doesn't make much difference on a small TV but if put on a
> big screen monster, it just might.

DVC II is fine at higher (> 5000) bitrates, and better at CBR than VBR. But
for best results, I capture in DV format and use CCE.

If quick is more important, I use hardware. Otherwise, I use software.
--

David Chien wrote:
> 1. faster CPU
> 2. hyperthreaded P4 or AMD 64 processor
> 3. more ram

FWIW, I find that I will become processor bound before I become RAM bound.

YMMV