opinions on the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA?

I've been looking for a new digital camera as my HP stopped producing
quality images - sent it in for repair out of warranty and it worked for
about 90 days and then quit focusing....

I'm considering, strongly, the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA.

I must have the higher 10x Optical and I want the image stabilization
and since I have a bunch of 512MB and 1GB SD cards it seems like the
perfect fit. I also like the idea that I can use real filters/add-ons
with the threaded lens.

So, anyone got one that want's to comment on it?

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Jan

Leythos wrote:
> I've been looking for a new digital camera as my HP stopped producing
> quality images - sent it in for repair out of warranty and it worked for
> about 90 days and then quit focusing....
>
> I'm considering, strongly, the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA.
>
> I must have the higher 10x Optical and I want the image stabilization
> and since I have a bunch of 512MB and 1GB SD cards it seems like the
> perfect fit. I also like the idea that I can use real filters/add-ons
> with the threaded lens.
>
> So, anyone got one that want's to comment on it?

I have an FZ-5.

Tomorrow, I am returning it.

I have an FZ-1, which I have upgraded to an FZ-2. Pictures I took with
the FZ-1 are considerably sharper than the FZ-5. I believe the quality
of the FZ-5 is not as good as the FZ-1 (or the FZ-20).

I ordered an FZ-20 from KEH, hoping it will be sharper - if not, it goes
back also.

Meanwhile, I'm holding on to the FZ-1 ...

Jan

In article <3pLoe.7531$J73.1472@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
> Leythos wrote:
> > I've been looking for a new digital camera as my HP stopped producing
> > quality images - sent it in for repair out of warranty and it worked for
> > about 90 days and then quit focusing....
> >
> > I'm considering, strongly, the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA.
> >
> > I must have the higher 10x Optical and I want the image stabilization
> > and since I have a bunch of 512MB and 1GB SD cards it seems like the
> > perfect fit. I also like the idea that I can use real filters/add-ons
> > with the threaded lens.
> >
> > So, anyone got one that want's to comment on it?
> >

> I have an FZ-5.
>
> Tomorrow, I am returning it.
>
> I have an FZ-1, which I have upgraded to an FZ-2. Pictures I took with
> the FZ-1 are considerably sharper than the FZ-5. I believe the quality
> of the FZ-5 is not as good as the FZ-1 (or the FZ-20).
>
> I ordered an FZ-20 from KEH, hoping it will be sharper - if not, it goes
> back also.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm holding on to the FZ-1 ...

If you wanted a 5+MP camera, with image stability and 10x optical zoom,
what you would get - from todays cameras available?

Leythos wrote:
> In article <3pLoe.7531$J73.1472@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>
>>>I've been looking for a new digital camera as my HP stopped producing
>>>quality images - sent it in for repair out of warranty and it worked for
>>>about 90 days and then quit focusing....
>>>
>>>I'm considering, strongly, the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA.
>>>
>>>I must have the higher 10x Optical and I want the image stabilization
>>>and since I have a bunch of 512MB and 1GB SD cards it seems like the
>>>perfect fit. I also like the idea that I can use real filters/add-ons
>>>with the threaded lens.
>>>
>>>So, anyone got one that want's to comment on it?
>>>

>>I have an FZ-5.
>>
>>Tomorrow, I am returning it.
>>
>>I have an FZ-1, which I have upgraded to an FZ-2. Pictures I took with
>>the FZ-1 are considerably sharper than the FZ-5. I believe the quality
>>of the FZ-5 is not as good as the FZ-1 (or the FZ-20).
>>
>>I ordered an FZ-20 from KEH, hoping it will be sharper - if not, it goes
>>back also.
>>
>>Meanwhile, I'm holding on to the FZ-1 ...
>

> If you wanted a 5+MP camera, with image stability and 10x optical zoom,
> what you would get - from todays cameras available?

The FZ-20 - even though it is discontinued.

Jan

In article <2N0pe.12187$_w.4446@trnddc01>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
> Leythos wrote:

> >>I have an FZ-5.
> >>
> >>Tomorrow, I am returning it.
> >>
> >>I have an FZ-1, which I have upgraded to an FZ-2. Pictures I took with
> >>the FZ-1 are considerably sharper than the FZ-5. I believe the quality
> >>of the FZ-5 is not as good as the FZ-1 (or the FZ-20).
> >>
> >>I ordered an FZ-20 from KEH, hoping it will be sharper - if not, it goes
> >>back also.
> >>
> >>Meanwhile, I'm holding on to the FZ-1 ...
> >

> > If you wanted a 5+MP camera, with image stability and 10x optical zoom,
> > what you would get - from todays cameras available?
> >
> The FZ-20 - even though it is discontinued.

I'm looking for new, under warranty, that I can purchase from a store or
reputable online vendor. It doesn't have to be the Panasonic, what would
you purchase if you had it all to do over again?

Leythos wrote:
> In article <2N0pe.12187$_w.4446@trnddc01>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>
>>>In article <3pLoe.7531$J73.1472@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...

>>>If you wanted a 5+MP camera, with image stability and 10x optical zoom,
>>>what you would get - from todays cameras available?
>>>

>>The FZ-20 - even though it is discontinued.
>

> I'm looking for new, under warranty, that I can purchase from a store or
> reputable online vendor. It doesn't have to be the Panasonic, what would
> you purchase if you had it all to do over again?

I really wish I could give you a good answer, but for myself, right now
I'm just winging it, although I am satisfied with how I have done so far.

FYI, I've done some spectacular work with the FZ-1 and I would probably
pick it again - maybe with the FZ-2 upgrade.

I think two important pieces of your puzzle will be how proficient you
are with post-processing, especially with Photoshop, and how good you
are at learning (i.e, disciplined at teaching yourself) new ways to do
things.

(Yesterday, I shot some film for the first time in perhaps a year. I
forgot just how good you can do with the 'obsolete' stuff. Ask me the
same question in a year and I might tell you stick with top film
equipment and get used to scanning!)

If it's any comfort, you're not the only one trying to figure out this
'photographic new world order.' Let us know what you decide.

Jan

In article <P6hpe.4720$Kj3.1391@trnddc03>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
> Leythos wrote:

> >>The FZ-20 - even though it is discontinued.
> >

> > I'm looking for new, under warranty, that I can purchase from a store or
> > reputable online vendor. It doesn't have to be the Panasonic, what would
> > you purchase if you had it all to do over again?
> >
> I really wish I could give you a good answer, but for myself, right now
> I'm just winging it, although I am satisfied with how I have done so far.
>
> FYI, I've done some spectacular work with the FZ-1 and I would probably
> pick it again - maybe with the FZ-2 upgrade.
>
> I think two important pieces of your puzzle will be how proficient you
> are with post-processing, especially with Photoshop, and how good you
> are at learning (i.e, disciplined at teaching yourself) new ways to do
> things.

I've been using digital cameras for about 5 years, film for more than
25, and photoshop for more than 6, etc....

I have a Phaser 8400 wax/thermal printer I use for printing images, so
I'm reasonably set for quality.

> (Yesterday, I shot some film for the first time in perhaps a year. I
> forgot just how good you can do with the 'obsolete' stuff. Ask me the
> same question in a year and I might tell you stick with top film
> equipment and get used to scanning!)

I have a couple older Minolta SLR's that I still love, but I've, like
you, not shot anything in a while - I use to develop my own B/W, but
it's harder and harder to find B/W in the local walmarts.

> If it's any comfort, you're not the only one trying to figure out this
> 'photographic new world order.' Let us know what you decide.

My Kodak DC4800 died a about a year ago - the quality was great, fast,
etc... What I want now is something that takes a second shot quickly,
has good quality for shots as far away as 100', and has a stability
control for when I'm zoomed. I also want to get a mount for my 6"
telescope.

I've read, in this group, the FZ5K image quality suffers, but all the
web reviews say it's exceptional, and I would have to imagine that it's
better than my old DC4800 (and it costs half as much).

I actually own 5 digital cameras right now, well, my kids own a couple,
so I have access to 5 - none of them have any quality and are slow.

In the 1 year that I was able to use the DC4800 I took over 40,000
images that I've stored on our picture server (we have a large network
in our home)

Leythos wrote:
> In article <P6hpe.4720$Kj3.1391@trnddc03>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>
>>>In article <2N0pe.12187$_w.4446@trnddc01>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...

>>>I'm looking for new, under warranty, that I can purchase from a store or
>>>reputable online vendor. It doesn't have to be the Panasonic, what would
>>>you purchase if you had it all to do over again?
>>>

>>I really wish I could give you a good answer, but for myself, right now
>>I'm just winging it, although I am satisfied with how I have done so far.
>>
>>FYI, I've done some spectacular work with the FZ-1 and I would probably
>>pick it again - maybe with the FZ-2 upgrade.
>>
>>I think two important pieces of your puzzle will be how proficient you
>>are with post-processing, especially with Photoshop, and how good you
>>are at learning (i.e, disciplined at teaching yourself) new ways to do
>>things.
>

> I've been using digital cameras for about 5 years, film for more than
> 25, and photoshop for more than 6, etc....
>
> I have a Phaser 8400 wax/thermal printer I use for printing images, so
> I'm reasonably set for quality.
>

>>(Yesterday, I shot some film for the first time in perhaps a year. I
>>forgot just how good you can do with the 'obsolete' stuff. Ask me the
>>same question in a year and I might tell you stick with top film
>>equipment and get used to scanning!)
>

> I have a couple older Minolta SLR's that I still love, but I've, like
> you, not shot anything in a while - I use to develop my own B/W, but
> it's harder and harder to find B/W in the local walmarts.
>

>>If it's any comfort, you're not the only one trying to figure out this
>>'photographic new world order.' Let us know what you decide.
>

> My Kodak DC4800 died a about a year ago - the quality was great, fast,
> etc... What I want now is something that takes a second shot quickly,
> has good quality for shots as far away as 100', and has a stability
> control for when I'm zoomed. I also want to get a mount for my 6"
> telescope.
>
> I've read, in this group, the FZ5K image quality suffers, but all the
> web reviews say it's exceptional, and I would have to imagine that it's
> better than my old DC4800 (and it costs half as much).
>
> I actually own 5 digital cameras right now, well, my kids own a couple,
> so I have access to 5 - none of them have any quality and are slow.
>
> In the 1 year that I was able to use the DC4800 I took over 40,000
> images that I've stored on our picture server (we have a large network
> in our home)

With that said, it is I who should be asking you for advice...

Jan

In article <Whqpe.6674$xI2.5802@trnddc09>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
> Leythos wrote:
> >

> > My Kodak DC4800 died a about a year ago - the quality was great, fast,
> > etc... What I want now is something that takes a second shot quickly,
> > has good quality for shots as far away as 100', and has a stability
> > control for when I'm zoomed. I also want to get a mount for my 6"
> > telescope.
> >
> > I've read, in this group, the FZ5K image quality suffers, but all the
> > web reviews say it's exceptional, and I would have to imagine that it's
> > better than my old DC4800 (and it costs half as much).
> >
> > I actually own 5 digital cameras right now, well, my kids own a couple,
> > so I have access to 5 - none of them have any quality and are slow.
> >
> > In the 1 year that I was able to use the DC4800 I took over 40,000
> > images that I've stored on our picture server (we have a large network
> > in our home)
>

> With that said, it is I who should be asking you for advice...

Jan, I like to think there is always something I can learn from anyone.
That's one of the reasons I participate in Usenet (since 84).

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:19:03 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <3pLoe.7531$J73.1472@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>> > I've been looking for a new digital camera as my HP stopped producing
>> > quality images - sent it in for repair out of warranty and it worked for
>> > about 90 days and then quit focusing....
>> >
>> > I'm considering, strongly, the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ5K DIGITAL CAMERA.
>> >
>> > I must have the higher 10x Optical and I want the image stabilization
>> > and since I have a bunch of 512MB and 1GB SD cards it seems like the
>> > perfect fit. I also like the idea that I can use real filters/add-ons
>> > with the threaded lens.
>> >
>> > So, anyone got one that want's to comment on it?
>> >

>> I have an FZ-5.
>>
>> Tomorrow, I am returning it.
>>
>> I have an FZ-1, which I have upgraded to an FZ-2. Pictures I took with
>> the FZ-1 are considerably sharper than the FZ-5. I believe the quality
>> of the FZ-5 is not as good as the FZ-1 (or the FZ-20).
>>
>> I ordered an FZ-20 from KEH, hoping it will be sharper - if not, it goes
>> back also.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'm holding on to the FZ-1 ...
>
>If you wanted a 5+MP camera, with image stability and 10x optical zoom,
>what you would get - from todays cameras available?

Canon S2 IS .. 12x zoom

Jan

Leythos wrote:
> In article <Whqpe.6674$xI2.5802@trnddc09>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>

>>>My Kodak DC4800 died a about a year ago - the quality was great, fast,
>>>etc... What I want now is something that takes a second shot quickly,
>>>has good quality for shots as far away as 100', and has a stability
>>>control for when I'm zoomed. I also want to get a mount for my 6"
>>>telescope.
>>>
>>>I've read, in this group, the FZ5K image quality suffers, but all the
>>>web reviews say it's exceptional, and I would have to imagine that it's
>>>better than my old DC4800 (and it costs half as much).
>>>
>>>I actually own 5 digital cameras right now, well, my kids own a couple,
>>>so I have access to 5 - none of them have any quality and are slow.
>>>
>>>In the 1 year that I was able to use the DC4800 I took over 40,000
>>>images that I've stored on our picture server (we have a large network
>>>in our home)
>>

>>With that said, it is I who should be asking you for advice...
>

> Jan, I like to think there is always something I can learn from anyone.
> That's one of the reasons I participate in Usenet (since 84).

Very gracious.

Buy the FZ-5, but remember that, unlike the FZ-20, it does not have the
ED glass elements. Also, as a proficient PS user, be ready to use the
High-Pass focus method for sharpening, and median/levels/etc. for other
touch up.

There, did I teach you anything?

Let me know what happens (and good luck).

Jan

In article <eKCpe.22603$J73.22534@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net
says...
> Leythos wrote:

> >>With that said, it is I who should be asking you for advice...
> >

> > Jan, I like to think there is always something I can learn from anyone.
> > That's one of the reasons I participate in Usenet (since 84).
> >

> Very gracious.
>
> Buy the FZ-5, but remember that, unlike the FZ-20, it does not have the
> ED glass elements. Also, as a proficient PS user, be ready to use the
> High-Pass focus method for sharpening, and median/levels/etc. for other
> touch up.
>
> There, did I teach you anything?

I've learned a little something with each post - I also keep a set of
profiles for filtering each type of image - if I shoot one way I setup a
set of filters that apply to all images taken with that method, saves
time.

> Let me know what happens (and good luck).

Have you purchased a polarizing filter for your digital? I normally
purchase a Haze or peach filter (depends on non-people/people shooting)
or a UV filter, but I was considering getting a UV and separate
polarizing filter. I've seen some examples of with/without on the
polarizing filter and it seems to eliminate much of the haze/whiteout
which would eliminate a lot of work in PS.

Leythos wrote:
> In article <eKCpe.22603$J73.22534@trnddc05>, jwidome1@verizon.net
> says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>
>>>In article <Whqpe.6674$xI2.5802@trnddc09>, jwidome1@verizon.net says...

>>>Jan, I like to think there is always something I can learn from anyone.
>>>That's one of the reasons I participate in Usenet (since 84).
>>>

>>Very gracious.
>>
>>Buy the FZ-5, but remember that, unlike the FZ-20, it does not have the
>>ED glass elements. Also, as a proficient PS user, be ready to use the
>>High-Pass focus method for sharpening, and median/levels/etc. for other
>>touch up.
>>
>>There, did I teach you anything?
>

> I've learned a little something with each post - I also keep a set of
> profiles for filtering each type of image - if I shoot one way I setup a
> set of filters that apply to all images taken with that method, saves
> time.
>

>>Let me know what happens (and good luck).
>

> Have you purchased a polarizing filter for your digital? I normally
> purchase a Haze or peach filter (depends on non-people/people shooting)
> or a UV filter, but I was considering getting a UV and separate
> polarizing filter. I've seen some examples of with/without on the
> polarizing filter and it seems to eliminate much of the haze/whiteout
> which would eliminate a lot of work in PS.

I have used a polarizing filter with the D100 plus an 80-400VR. I don't
see much advantage. Never tried it on the FZ-1. I prefer to handle
intensification in post-production- when I adjust levels, color balance,
noise and saturation.

Where skies are concerned, I typically make my own and use them in the
pictures. Skies I make are usually some kind of gradients+median, or
I'll cut in something from a library of cloud pics I collect.

Why do I do this? Too often the sky is bland but the subjects are fine
- or the subjects are uninteresting but the skies - especially at sunset
- can be sensational.

You may wonder why I want to incur the additional PS work.
Philosophically, my pictures are my 'art'. I'll get there any way I can
- within reason.

Without putting too fine a point on this, lets just say that if I wanted
to develop my skills as an equipment-based artist, I might just as well
you get the idea) Digital gives more possibilities - such as
'sky-management' - which might be insurmountable with film. These are
the areas which I want to explore.

Personal preference - not for everyone.

Jan

Jan

Jan wrote:
> Leythos wrote:

>>> Very gracious.
>>>
>>> Buy the FZ-5, but remember that, unlike the FZ-20, it does not have
>>> the ED glass elements. Also, as a proficient PS user, be ready to
>>> use the High-Pass focus method for sharpening, and median/levels/etc.
>>> for other touch up.
>>>
>>> There, did I teach you anything?
>>

>> I've learned a little something with each post - I also keep a set of
>> profiles for filtering each type of image - if I shoot one way I setup
>> a set of filters that apply to all images taken with that method,
>> saves time.
>>

>>> Let me know what happens (and good luck).
>>

>> Have you purchased a polarizing filter for your digital? I normally
>> purchase a Haze or peach filter (depends on non-people/people
>> shooting) or a UV filter, but I was considering getting a UV and
>> separate polarizing filter. I've seen some examples of with/without on
>> the polarizing filter and it seems to eliminate much of the
>> haze/whiteout which would eliminate a lot of work in PS.
>>

> I have used a polarizing filter with the D100 plus an 80-400VR. I don't
> see much advantage. Never tried it on the FZ-1. I prefer to handle
> intensification in post-production- when I adjust levels, color balance,
> noise and saturation.
>
> Where skies are concerned, I typically make my own and use them in the
> pictures. Skies I make are usually some kind of gradients+median, or
> I'll cut in something from a library of cloud pics I collect.
>
> Why do I do this? Too often the sky is bland but the subjects are fine
> - or the subjects are uninteresting but the skies - especially at sunset
> - can be sensational.
>
> You may wonder why I want to incur the additional PS work.
> Philosophically, my pictures are my 'art'. I'll get there any way I can
> - within reason.
>
> Without putting too fine a point on this, lets just say that if I wanted
> to develop my skills as an equipment-based artist, I might just as well
> you get the idea) Digital gives more possibilities - such as
> 'sky-management' - which might be insurmountable with film. These are
> the areas which I want to explore.
>
> Personal preference - not for everyone.
>
> Jan

OK. Now I'm ready to make an informed recommendation.
Forget the FZ-5.
Go for the FZ-20. KEH is a good source for it.

Jan