Login problems

November 11, 2004 4:04:07 PM

Our Windows 2003 server is already running Terminal Server in Application
mode and it works great. Now I want to get Remote Desktop Web Connection
(RDWC) working, so users can access their office computers remotely.

When accessing RDWC through the WAN using IE (http://IP/tsweb), I get the
following message when entering the server name: "The specified remote
computer could not be found..."
If I enter the IP address of the server, I get the message: "The client
could not connect to the remote computer..."

If I access the RDWC through the LAN using IE (//server/tsweb), I get the
following message: "The specified remote computer could not be found..."
If I enter the IP address of the server, it works.

Office desktops are running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

More about : login problems

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:35:19 AM

Do you have access to Remote Desktop from the WAN using the normal
remote desktop client? If not, then you need to make sure that TCP
Port 3389 is forwarded in your router...

Otherwise, try leaving the server name blank on the WAN link...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:04:07 -0800, "TomH"
<TomH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Our Windows 2003 server is already running Terminal Server in Application
>mode and it works great. Now I want to get Remote Desktop Web Connection
>(RDWC) working, so users can access their office computers remotely.
>
>When accessing RDWC through the WAN using IE (http://IP/tsweb), I get the
>following message when entering the server name: "The specified remote
>computer could not be found..."
>If I enter the IP address of the server, I get the message: "The client
>could not connect to the remote computer..."
>
>If I access the RDWC through the LAN using IE (//server/tsweb), I get the
>following message: "The specified remote computer could not be found..."
>If I enter the IP address of the server, it works.
>
>Office desktops are running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom
November 16, 2004 2:19:06 PM

Yes and 3389 has been redirected.

I left the server name blank and it gives me the login screen for the
server. What does that tell me and why won't it recognize the server name or
Windows XP Pro desktop names? If I have a computer named TOM, shouldn't I
just put TOM in the server name prompt or if the server is named SERVER, just
input SERVER?

Thanks,

Tom

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Do you have access to Remote Desktop from the WAN using the normal
> remote desktop client? If not, then you need to make sure that TCP
> Port 3389 is forwarded in your router...
>
> Otherwise, try leaving the server name blank on the WAN link...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:04:07 -0800, "TomH"
> <TomH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Our Windows 2003 server is already running Terminal Server in Application
> >mode and it works great. Now I want to get Remote Desktop Web Connection
> >(RDWC) working, so users can access their office computers remotely.
> >
> >When accessing RDWC through the WAN using IE (http://IP/tsweb), I get the
> >following message when entering the server name: "The specified remote
> >computer could not be found..."
> >If I enter the IP address of the server, I get the message: "The client
> >could not connect to the remote computer..."
> >
> >If I access the RDWC through the LAN using IE (//server/tsweb), I get the
> >following message: "The specified remote computer could not be found..."
> >If I enter the IP address of the server, it works.
> >
> >Office desktops are running Windows XP Pro SP2.
> >
> >Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Tom

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:57:05 AM

When you leave the server name blank, it will attempt to contact the
server that "served" the web client page.. If all of the redirection
worked, then this should be your machine.

No, you cannot use "friendly" computer names.. You must either use an
IP address or a computer name that can be resolved on the internet -
like mycomputer.dyndns.org, etc...

The only time you can use friendly names is when you are on the LAN or
are connected to your LAN via a VPN.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:19:06 -0800, "TomH"

!