VHS to DVD

Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to convert
to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
of $700, and we will only use it once.

I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
computer for much less. I would need:
1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good brands?)
2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
tell me more)
3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)

I have other questions too.
Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
more have how do I avoid them?
What else don't I know?
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    mscout1@techie.com wrote:
    > Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to
    convert
    > to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
    > will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
    > of $700, and we will only use it once.
    >
    > I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
    > computer for much less. I would need:
    > 1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good
    brands?)
    > 2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
    > tell me more)
    > 3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)
    >
    > I have other questions too.
    > Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
    > When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
    > more have how do I avoid them?
    > What else don't I know?

    If you are satisfied with a basic DVD copy of your videos, (no fancy
    menus) you will get a good copy using a dvd recorder. These sell from
    about $150 with an SVHS and DVD burner unit at around $300.

    There are a number of businesses which will cut you the same basic DVD
    for $9.95 per dvd.

    Restriction in both is a limit of 2 hours of 'normal' VHS recording per
    DVD.

    What machine was suggested ?

    There is a telecine machine but that is for transferring 8mm (or other)
    film to video.

    If you want to edit your video and create a dvd with scene selections
    etc. you need a capture board. Analog for input from your VCR. Cards
    start around $9 and go up into the hundreds. If your computer is a
    little slow you will benefit from a capture card that has hardware
    based conversion to mpeg. There are combined tv tuner and capture
    cards. Haupage (possibly misspelled) seems to get good review.

    To edit your video, add titles and burn your DVDs you could start with
    Vegas Movie studio 4 bundled with DVD creator (I forget its exact
    name). Pinnacle studio 9 av/dv comes with the hardware for capture (but
    has a lot of bad comment on the forums)

    You need a DVD burner.

    You need a big chunk of disk space, preferably defraged for the video
    files when burning to DVD.

    I don't know what else you don't know. :)

    If you do a google search for 'analog video capture' or "vhs dvd
    transfer'
    you should get quite a few hits to look at.

    1. easiest way?

    VHS player into DVD recorder deck (eg. iLo at walmart for $150).

    at 2hrs mode, you'll get video that basically looks like the
    original VHS w/o too much work.

    oops! looks like it's down to $138 today for a Balance DVD recorder at
    walmart
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3429491&cat=62055&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A62055

    2. Cleaner?

    VHS into DV converter into PC (eg. Canopus ADVC-100)

    Post processing and image cleanup with VirtualDub filters, etc.

    Then conversion into MPEG-2 using multi-pass high quality converter
    for burning to disc. (www.videohelp.com)

    ----

    Honestly, #1 at $138 is the easiest and simplest solution. You only
    need to press play & recorder and change tapes/discs every 2 hours,
    while getting you very high quality DVDs.

    You can spend a bit more to buy a deck that has both VHS and DVD
    recorder-in-one. This is even nicer because you don't have to fool with
    external cables and one remote control button press will auto copy that
    VHS to DVD.

    But that's double at $278
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598445&cat=105664&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A62055%3A105664
    and given that a VHS is only <$40, it's not exactly worth it if you've
    already got a VHS deck.

    <mscout1@techie.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to convert
    > to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
    > will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
    > of $700, and we will only use it once.
    >
    > I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
    > computer for much less. I would need:
    > 1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good brands?)
    > 2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
    > tell me more)
    > 3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)
    >
    > I have other questions too.
    > Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
    > When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
    > more have how do I avoid them?
    > What else don't I know?

    Don't hesitate one second and buy a DVD recorder. I got a deal after new
    year for a great Panasonic one for just $199, almost $100 off. Before that I
    tried the computer based method, I found out it's an enormous amount of time
    to transfer just one tape, and I had so many to transfer. I sold it back and
    bought a recorder. Buy a DVD recorder, unless you prefer spending 24h per
    tape instead of 2h, assuming the computer behaves relatively well (which is
    not always the case). DVD recorders don't freeze, it's fast, simple,
    wonderful to transfer tapes on DVD. If you like hassles, try with a computer
    and waste your time and be unable to use your computer many hours a day! You
    souldn't experience any sound sync problems. it's like copying from VHS to
    VHS. If you want to copy a DVD you made on a new DVD using the recorder,
    then you'll lose some quality, but you can do it with a DVD burner, no need
    to buy a capture device.

    Rat

    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/capture/start.html

    --Leonid

    mscout1@techie.com wrote:
    : Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to convert
    : to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
    : will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
    : of $700, and we will only use it once.

    : I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
    : computer for much less. I would need:
    : 1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good brands?)
    : 2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
    : tell me more)
    : 3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)

    : I have other questions too.
    : Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
    : When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
    : more have how do I avoid them?
    : What else don't I know?

    And not to forget www.videohelp.com where no doubt your question will get
    many knowledgable answers.

    Martin.

    << From: Leonid Makarovsky venom@csa3.bu.edu
    Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2005 2:28 PM

    mscout1@techie.com wrote:
    : Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to convert
    : to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
    : will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
    : of $700, and we will only use it once.

    : I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
    : computer for much less. I would need:
    : 1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good brands?)
    : 2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
    : tell me more)
    : 3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)

    : I have other questions too.
    : Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
    : When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
    : more have how do I avoid them?
    : What else don't I know?

    Why fool with all that equipment when he can get a Panasonic E85 with a 120 GIG
    HD for $499 and probably less on line that will give you great transfers and as
    a side benefit you get a great TV recording machine that can give you great
    copies of movies on DVDs.

    The simplest way using your computer is to get ADS Tech's dvdXpress for
    about $100 then you can use either a CD-R or DVD-R burner.

    Ule

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in

    mscout1@techie.com wrote:

    >Hello. We have a large pile of VHS Home Videos that we need to convert
    >to DVD. We have been told that a specialized machine for this purpose
    >will yield much better quality. Such machines seem to all cost upward
    >of $700, and we will only use it once.
    >
    >I believe that I can assemble the parts that are necessary on my
    >computer for much less. I would need:
    >1) A DVD recorder (which standard should I use? What are good brands?)

    I'd recommend the Pioneer DVR-520 (80 gig hard drive)or DVR-720 DVD
    (160 gig hard drive) Recorder.
    These recorders are frame accurate, don't have sync problems, are easy
    to use and have a ton of features. They also have build in video
    enhancers and noise filters, so the video recorded from VHS to DVD (or
    to the built-in hard drive) can look better than the original VHS
    video.

    Regards Brian

    >2) A TV tuner and/or Video capture card (I know nothing about this,
    >tell me more)
    >3) Software (what kind? Where do I get it? What will it cost?)
    >
    >I have other questions too.
    >Will there be a quality difference between the two methods?
    >When I once tried to rip DVDs I had sound sync problems. Will I have
    >more have how do I avoid them?
    >What else don't I know?

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics