How Do You Find Which Codec Is Used?

I am new to the realm of video editing, and I have a major problem.

I have a video that someone encoded, but I cannot edit the video. I can
play the video in MediaPlayer 10, Divx player and WinDVD 4.0.

I cannot import the movie in Quicktime Pro, Camtasia 2.11 or even WinAvi.
They all give me a message that I am missing a codec, but they do not tell
me which one !!!!

I have installed DivX, Indeo, DirectX, and other codecs I found on
Free-Codecs.com. No luck.

I have also tried a Macintosh, but same problem.

How can I find which codec I need to install!!! Is there a program that
will find this info for me?

Thank you.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Search Google for gspot

"Vinnie Boombats" <vinnieb@internet.com> wrote in message news:BE0C6308.2CC6%vinnieb@internet.com...
> I am new to the realm of video editing, and I have a major problem.
>
> I have a video that someone encoded, but I cannot edit the video. I can
> play the video in MediaPlayer 10, Divx player and WinDVD 4.0.
>
> I cannot import the movie in Quicktime Pro, Camtasia 2.11 or even WinAvi.
> They all give me a message that I am missing a codec, but they do not tell
> me which one !!!!
>
> I have installed DivX, Indeo, DirectX, and other codecs I found on
> Free-Codecs.com. No luck.
>
> I have also tried a Macintosh, but same problem.
>
> How can I find which codec I need to install!!! Is there a program that
> will find this info for me?
>
> Thank you.

martin

GSpot is one utility which will analyse a video and tell you waht video and
audio codecs it is compressed with.
It can also attempt to render the video on your pc and establish wether or
not your pc currently has the required codecs.

But i prefer AVIcodec, again it a freeware utility.
http://avicodec.duby.info/

Can you find the video properties in media player - right click the picture
and look for Properties.

Martin.

"Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Search Google for gspot
>
> "Vinnie Boombats" <vinnieb@internet.com> wrote in message
>> I am new to the realm of video editing, and I have a major problem.
>>
>> I have a video that someone encoded, but I cannot edit the video. I can
>> play the video in MediaPlayer 10, Divx player and WinDVD 4.0.
>>
>> I cannot import the movie in Quicktime Pro, Camtasia 2.11 or even WinAvi.
>> They all give me a message that I am missing a codec, but they do not
>> tell
>> me which one !!!!
>>
>> I have installed DivX, Indeo, DirectX, and other codecs I found on
>> Free-Codecs.com. No luck.
>>
>> I have also tried a Macintosh, but same problem.
>>
>> How can I find which codec I need to install!!! Is there a program that
>> will find this info for me?
>>
>> Thank you.

Thank you for this information. It is very helpful.

The video properties in media player just list mpeg, nothing else.

On 1/13/05 6:23 PM, in article 34oe7oF4d5kctU1@individual.net, "Martin"
<zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote:

> GSpot is one utility which will analyse a video and tell you waht video and
> audio codecs it is compressed with.
> It can also attempt to render the video on your pc and establish wether or
> not your pc currently has the required codecs.
>
> But i prefer AVIcodec, again it a freeware utility.
> http://avicodec.duby.info/
>
> Can you find the video properties in media player - right click the picture
> and look for Properties.
>
> Martin.
>

> "Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Search Google for gspot
>>
>> "Vinnie Boombats" <vinnieb@internet.com> wrote in message
>>> I am new to the realm of video editing, and I have a major problem.
>>>
>>> I have a video that someone encoded, but I cannot edit the video. I can
>>> play the video in MediaPlayer 10, Divx player and WinDVD 4.0.
>>>
>>> I cannot import the movie in Quicktime Pro, Camtasia 2.11 or even WinAvi.
>>> They all give me a message that I am missing a codec, but they do not
>>> tell
>>> me which one !!!!
>>>
>>> I have installed DivX, Indeo, DirectX, and other codecs I found on
>>> Free-Codecs.com. No luck.
>>>
>>> I have also tried a Macintosh, but same problem.
>>>
>>> How can I find which codec I need to install!!! Is there a program that
>>> will find this info for me?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just out of curisity, what does gspot say?