File Sharing

Setup: Dell Dimension, Windows Me, broadband cable modem. NEC Versa E668
notebook, Windows XP, internal wireless card. D-Link DI-824VUP router.
Norton Personal Firewall installed on both computers.

Wiring from Dell to router to modem all done correctly. Software
installation for router done correctly as far as I can tell. Internet
access from notebook via wireless connection through router works perfectly.

Workgroup set up correcctly as far as I can tell. File access going both
ways from Dell to NEC and back set up correctly as far as I can tell. I can
access files on the notebook from the Dell, but not from the Dell to the
notebook.

I've read and implemented to the best of my ability the documentation from
D-Link, Microsoft, Norton and one independent website recommended by D-Link.
But I am obviously doing something wrong or overlooking something. I've
been struggling with this for a week, and it is really frustrating. Sorry,
but referring me to this documentation won't solve the problem - been there,
done that.

I keep getting a message on the NEC notebook saying that I do not have a
connection to the Dell, and telling me I need to connect a cable!!! Hey,
this is supposed to be wireless.

Much of the documentation, by the way, describes screens that simply do not
appear in either XP (particularly) or Me as described. I've had to guess my
way around them.

Can anyone relieve my pain???

Mary

Have you tried turning off or reconfiguring the firewall on the laptop?
Also--XP doesn't allow access unless you choose specific folders to share,
right click on them and select Sharing and Security and give permission.
Windows System files and the main Program folder cannot be shared.

"Ross Hardter" wrote:

> Setup: Dell Dimension, Windows Me, broadband cable modem. NEC Versa E668
> notebook, Windows XP, internal wireless card. D-Link DI-824VUP router.
> Norton Personal Firewall installed on both computers.
>
> Wiring from Dell to router to modem all done correctly. Software
> installation for router done correctly as far as I can tell. Internet
> access from notebook via wireless connection through router works perfectly.
>
> Workgroup set up correcctly as far as I can tell. File access going both
> ways from Dell to NEC and back set up correctly as far as I can tell. I can
> access files on the notebook from the Dell, but not from the Dell to the
> notebook.
>
> I've read and implemented to the best of my ability the documentation from
> D-Link, Microsoft, Norton and one independent website recommended by D-Link.
> But I am obviously doing something wrong or overlooking something. I've
> been struggling with this for a week, and it is really frustrating. Sorry,
> but referring me to this documentation won't solve the problem - been there,
> done that.
>
> I keep getting a message on the NEC notebook saying that I do not have a
> connection to the Dell, and telling me I need to connect a cable!!! Hey,
> this is supposed to be wireless.
>
> Much of the documentation, by the way, describes screens that simply do not
> appear in either XP (particularly) or Me as described. I've had to guess my
> way around them.
>
> Can anyone relieve my pain???

Also-there's a wirless tutorial here:
http://www.wown.info/articles_tutorials/Wireless_Networking/

"Ross Hardter" wrote:

> Setup: Dell Dimension, Windows Me, broadband cable modem. NEC Versa E668
> notebook, Windows XP, internal wireless card. D-Link DI-824VUP router.
> Norton Personal Firewall installed on both computers.
>
> Wiring from Dell to router to modem all done correctly. Software
> installation for router done correctly as far as I can tell. Internet
> access from notebook via wireless connection through router works perfectly.
>
> Workgroup set up correcctly as far as I can tell. File access going both
> ways from Dell to NEC and back set up correctly as far as I can tell. I can
> access files on the notebook from the Dell, but not from the Dell to the
> notebook.
>
> I've read and implemented to the best of my ability the documentation from
> D-Link, Microsoft, Norton and one independent website recommended by D-Link.
> But I am obviously doing something wrong or overlooking something. I've
> been struggling with this for a week, and it is really frustrating. Sorry,
> but referring me to this documentation won't solve the problem - been there,
> done that.
>
> I keep getting a message on the NEC notebook saying that I do not have a
> connection to the Dell, and telling me I need to connect a cable!!! Hey,
> this is supposed to be wireless.
>
> Much of the documentation, by the way, describes screens that simply do not
> appear in either XP (particularly) or Me as described. I've had to guess my
> way around them.
>
> Can anyone relieve my pain???

Thanks, but I believe I found the problem - a known bug preventing a
Microsoft XP computer from accessing files on a Microsoft Me computer.
However the workaround described doesn't work. See my posting of 30 October
under the subject "The Workaround Doesn't Work".