Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%

It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...

This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...

This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.

Here's the problem (Story broke on Jan 12th)

http://www.nolistingday.com/

Sign here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ebayf...

Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.
January 14, 2005 10:01:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net>,
Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:

> If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
>
We've heard. BFD.

> It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...

Yes it does.

>
> This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
>
> This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.

No it's not.

> Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.

Sellers will just raise their prices to cover the expenses - as sellers
have been doing since the dawn on commerce.

I'll buy and sell as I please, ThankYouVeryMuch.

Mike
January 14, 2005 1:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up
to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless
its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.


"Paul McCahan" <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote in message
news:lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net...
> If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
>
> It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...
>
> This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
>
> This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.
>
> Here's the problem (Story broke on Jan 12th)
>
> http://www.nolistingday.com/
>
> Sign here:
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ebayf...
>
> Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:23:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <abc-EAEC28.07532714012005@28-76.newscene.com>,
Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:

> In article <lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net>,
> Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:
>
> > If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
> >
> We've heard. BFD.
>
> > It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...
>
> Yes it does.
>
> >
> > This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
> >
> > This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.
>
> No it's not.
>
> > Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.
>
> Sellers will just raise their prices to cover the expenses - as sellers
> have been doing since the dawn on commerce.
>
> I'll buy and sell as I please, ThankYouVeryMuch.
>
> Mike

How do eBay's new prices compare to Yahoo Auctions?
January 14, 2005 4:23:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <jzwick3-3E8F3D.07232314012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> How do eBay's new prices compare to Yahoo Auctions?

I have no idea. I've never used Yahoo auctions. Hell, I've never
even heard of Yahoo Auctions until just now.

Mike
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:05:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> How do eBay's new prices compare to Yahoo Auctions?

Yahoo won't matter, it's probably cheaper, and soon MUCH cheaper,
problem is, if you don't have a market ----- your stuff won't sell.

eBay has you LOCKED in. When you add PayPal into the mix, they make it
near impossible to sell on the other Auction sites. That's the PROBLEM.

Join the PROTEST:

http://www.nolistingday.com

Sign the Petition!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ebayf...
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:51:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> In article <lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net>,
> Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:
>
>
>>If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
>>
>
> We've heard. BFD.
>
>
>>It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...
>
>
> Yes it does.
>
>
>>This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
>>
>>This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.
>
>
> No it's not.
>
>
>>Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.
>
>
> Sellers will just raise their prices to cover the expenses - as sellers
> have been doing since the dawn on commerce.
>
> I'll buy and sell as I please, ThankYouVeryMuch.
>
> Mike

You have to admit that this is quite a hike in price. In my business, if
I hiked prices by this margin, I would have to close my doors.

This will kill buying and selling low cost stuff since it won't be worth
selling it on eBay anymore, IMHO.
I've bought and sold many things on eBay, btw.

Nicolas
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

You might try: ePier

Why jump in the Bay when you can buy items on the Pier.

http://www.epier.com/

http://www.bidville.com/

Craig's list is another idea - but eBay recently bought 25% of them, so
they may go under in the same way.

Big websites that don't concentrate on just Auctions aren't going to
work. Overstock is trying to do it too, but you need conentration from
the buyer and that's not going to happen on those sites.

Use snipping if you don't like bidding at the last minute, it will do it
for you.

http://www.snipeswipe.com/
January 14, 2005 9:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <fuWFd.50$c67.1080@news.uswest.net>,
Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:

> eBay has you LOCKED in. When you add PayPal into the mix, they make it
> near impossible to sell on the other Auction sites. That's the PROBLEM.

But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to
cover these small increases. No one cares.

Mike
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:42:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In rec.video.desktop Nasht0n <nahda@na.ca> wrote:
: This will kill buying and selling low cost stuff since it won't be worth
: selling it on eBay anymore, IMHO.

Well, frankly, if it helps return eBay to its original role as
an AUCTION site, that would be good. The gazillions of duplicate
listings with buy-it-now trash has made it more and more difficult
to search for normal auctions.

Scott
January 14, 2005 9:42:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <ioUFd.1903$m31.22541@typhoon.sonic.net>,
sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com wrote:

> Well, frankly, if it helps return eBay to its original role as
> an AUCTION site, that would be good. The gazillions of duplicate
> listings with buy-it-now trash has made it more and more difficult
> to search for normal auctions.

Most of things I buy on eBay are with BIN. I don't like waiting
around, frantically waiting as the last few minutes tick buy. I'd
rather just buy it and get it over with.

Mike
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <41e7ebaa$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>, idontthinkso@mail.com
says...
> Subject: Re: FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!
> From: "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, alt.video.ptv.tivo, rec.video.desktop, alt.autos.subaru
>
> Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up
> to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless
> its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.
>
>
> "Paul McCahan" <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote in message
> news:lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net...
> > If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
> >
> > It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...
> >
> > This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
> >
> > This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.
> >
> > Here's the problem (Story broke on Jan 12th)
> >
> > http://www.nolistingday.com/
> >
> > Sign here:
> >
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ebayf...
> >
> > Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.
>
>
>
>

When I received the email that they were raising prices I had just been
talking to a friend about how great it must be to make millions of
dollars without actually selling or shipping anything. Now I have to
add to that, it must be beyond great to be able to double your profit by
simply saying, today I think I'll double our profit. Click, click. Ok,
done. :) 
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:33:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <ioUFd.1903$m31.22541@typhoon.sonic.net>,
sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com wrote:

> In rec.video.desktop Nasht0n <nahda@na.ca> wrote:
> : This will kill buying and selling low cost stuff since it won't be worth
> : selling it on eBay anymore, IMHO.
>
> Well, frankly, if it helps return eBay to its original role as
> an AUCTION site, that would be good. The gazillions of duplicate
> listings with buy-it-now trash has made it more and more difficult
> to search for normal auctions.

Easy. Just click on the 'auction' tab to eliminate BIY if you don't like
it.
January 14, 2005 11:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

"Mike" <abc@def.ghi> wrote in message
news:abc-AAF70B.13075814012005@28-76.newscene.com...
> In article <jzwick3-3E8F3D.07232314012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
> Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> How do eBay's new prices compare to Yahoo Auctions?
>
> I have no idea. I've never used Yahoo auctions. Hell, I've never
> even heard of Yahoo Auctions until just now.

Do you Yahoo?
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:20:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:

> But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to
> cover these small increases. No one cares.
>
> Mike

Wrong Mike. Sounds as if you know little about economics.

An item that sells at auction for $10, like a set of 4 Lithium Batteries.

Will still sell after February 18th for $10.

PROBLEM is, the cost to sell those SAME Batteries has been raised by
about .62¢!!! Not a nickel or a dime, but a LOT OF FREAKING Money.

The buyer doesn't pay this fee, the SELLER DOES... you can't just raise
your price... since PRICE is determined by the Market in and OUT of eBay.

In other words, it will make it less viable to sell your stuff on eBay,
thus less choice for buyers... This is a SERIOUS issues for the main
reason that eBay is just a website... they don't have any real cost
outside of maintaining a very complex server. They are spending money on
expensive TV commercials, buying up Rent.com, Craig's List, without our
approval, thus driving up OUR fees.

If you sold on eBay you'd be raging mad, if you buy on ebay, it won't
become clear that the show is going to get very quiet after Feb 18th.

Lot's of people are leaving.

http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm

ebay needs to solve this problem before it's too late.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:58:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Well, the bigger they get ( Ebay ) the greedier they get.
January 15, 2005 12:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <fS0Gd.47$dk1.3159@news.uswest.net>,
Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:

> Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:
>
> > But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to
> > cover these small increases. No one cares.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Wrong Mike. Sounds as if you know little about economics.
>
> An item that sells at auction for $10, like a set of 4 Lithium Batteries.
>
> Will still sell after February 18th for $10.
>
> PROBLEM is, the cost to sell those SAME Batteries has been raised by
> about .62¢!!! Not a nickel or a dime, but a LOT OF FREAKING Money.
>
> The buyer doesn't pay this fee, the SELLER DOES... you can't just raise
> your price... since PRICE is determined by the Market in and OUT of eBay.

No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
you not understand?

Mike
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:37:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <abc-91C052.10160115012005@28-72.newscene.com>,
Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:

> In article <fS0Gd.47$dk1.3159@news.uswest.net>,
> Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:
> >
> > > But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to
> > > cover these small increases. No one cares.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > Wrong Mike. Sounds as if you know little about economics.
> >
> > An item that sells at auction for $10, like a set of 4 Lithium Batteries.
> >
> > Will still sell after February 18th for $10.
> >
> > PROBLEM is, the cost to sell those SAME Batteries has been raised by
> > about .62¢!!! Not a nickel or a dime, but a LOT OF FREAKING Money.
> >
> > The buyer doesn't pay this fee, the SELLER DOES... you can't just raise
> > your price... since PRICE is determined by the Market in and OUT of eBay.
>
> No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
> you not understand?

The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the
market - not by the seller alone.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 3:43:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:55:51 -0500, Invid Fan <invid@localnet.com>
wrote:


>From what I've seen on Ebay, this is probably a reaction to sellers
>listing products at a rediculously low price and making all the profit
>from the shipping cost. Not unusual to see a buy now price of $1 and
>$10 in shipping fees, of which Ebay gets nothing.

I just bought a DSS multi switch for $0.01, and $14 shipping.

$14.01 was still deal for me, but eBay gets porked.

Barry
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Paul McCahan (mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> Lot's of people are leaving.
>
> http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm

As of today, eBay has 129,000 different stores listed, and that page shows 29
as "leaving". That's 0.022% of the total...not very significant.

--
Jeff Rife | "I once did a news report on the dangers of
| plastic surgery, and do you know what the
| statistics say?"
| "Yes...that 9 out of 10 men prefer women
| with big boobs."
| "And the 10th guy preferred the 9 other men."
| -- "Just Shoot Me"
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c53284375ec5342989a9d@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Paul McCahan (mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > Lot's of people are leaving.
> >
> > http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm
>
> As of today, eBay has 129,000 different stores listed, and that page shows 29
> as "leaving". That's 0.022% of the total...not very significant.

Depends on what percentage of the leaving stores actually found and
signed the petition.

But, no, it's not likely to put eBay out of business. It will more
likely impact people like me - who occasionally sell a few items rather
than send them to Goodwill. If eBay's keeping 22% of the selling price,
why should I go through the hassle of selling?
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> > http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm
>
> As of today, eBay has 129,000 different stores listed, and that page shows 29
> as "leaving". That's 0.022% of the total...not very significant.

yes, but that's an upstart website, alive for only a few days - the real
numbers are here:

Posted by webnet ( 8990 ) on Jan-12-05 at 19:40:27 PST Auctions AMAZING.
NOW since the last post at 19:26 stores 132,050 now its only 131,975 a
loss of 75 stores closed in the last 20 minutes. I will check again in
the morning to see how bad ebay has damaged themselves. AMAZING...
sellers SPEAK OUT.

I checked the number of stores earlier and found 5,180 pages of them
(@ 25 stores per page), hence the current count at 'about' 129,500.

To check the number do an advanced search, click on stores, search
with 'no' keyword entries, then click on list alphabetically ...... on
the results page scroll to the bottom and check the number of pages.
Multiply by 25.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:20:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

Invid Fan (invid@localnet.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> From what I've seen on Ebay, this is probably a reaction to sellers
> listing products at a rediculously low price and making all the profit
> from the shipping cost. Not unusual to see a buy now price of $1 and
> $10 in shipping fees, of which Ebay gets nothing.

The new fee structure would make that happen even more often, not less.
Any time the eBay fees go up, sellers will raise their shipping costs to
compensate. It's the one place you can guarantee a fixed payment (assuming
your item sells at all).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/Understaffed.gif
January 15, 2005 7:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <trman-8B211F.09375115012005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
> > you not understand?
>
> The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the
> market - not by the seller alone.

Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
many are going to do that?

The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
his price to cover his costs.

I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
raise prices. It has always been thus.

There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
example.

Mike
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <abc-8CE35A.17505715012005@28-76.newscene.com>,
Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:

> In article <trman-8B211F.09375115012005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
> > > you not understand?
> >
> > The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the
> > market - not by the seller alone.
>
> Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> many are going to do that?

That makes sense - IF eBay is the only route to market.

Hint: it isn't. And the other routes to market haven't had this amount
of a price increase.

>
> The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> his price to cover his costs.
>
> I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
> raise prices. It has always been thus.

Of course, only eBay sellers have had this increase. Other routes to
market have not.

>
> There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
> There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
> example.

There are also competitive routes to market. eBay sellers have just been
placed at a _relative_ disadvantage (compared to where they were before).
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:56:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <abc-8CE35A.17505715012005@28-76.newscene.com>, Mike wrote:
> Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices. Their
> only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think many are
> going to do that?
>
> The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> his price to cover his costs.
>
> I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
> raise prices. It has always been thus.
>
> There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
> There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
> example.

That's fine for "buy it now" prices, but I believe most people are talking
about auctions.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <trman-033747.12562615012005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1c53284375ec5342989a9d@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
>
> > Paul McCahan (mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > > Lot's of people are leaving.
> > >
> > > http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm
> >
> > As of today, eBay has 129,000 different stores listed, and that page shows
> > 29
> > as "leaving". That's 0.022% of the total...not very significant.
>
> Depends on what percentage of the leaving stores actually found and
> signed the petition.
>
> But, no, it's not likely to put eBay out of business. It will more
> likely impact people like me - who occasionally sell a few items rather
> than send them to Goodwill. If eBay's keeping 22% of the selling price,
> why should I go through the hassle of selling?

Where did you get 22%?

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/gallery/200/
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:23:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <abc-8CE35A.17505715012005@28-76.newscene.com>,
Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:

> In article <trman-8B211F.09375115012005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
> > > you not understand?
> >
> > The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the
> > market - not by the seller alone.
>
> Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> many are going to do that?

You apparently think ebay is the only place people can buy stuff.

>
> The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> his price to cover his costs.

But if his prices are already as close to what somebody can buy the item
for elsewhere, and he raises it - he looses the sales.

>
> I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
> raise prices. It has always been thus.

I can't believe that you think raising cost is such a 'cure all'.
especially when, as I mentioned above, ebay isn't the only place to buy
stuff.

>
> There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
> There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
> example.
>
> Mike

--
Tim
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <trman-03FD45.19393715012005@news.central.cox.net>,
TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <abc-8CE35A.17505715012005@28-76.newscene.com>,
> Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:
>
> > In article <trman-8B211F.09375115012005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > > No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do
> > > > you not understand?
> > >
> > > The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the
> > > market - not by the seller alone.
> >
> > Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> > Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> > Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> > many are going to do that?
>
> That makes sense - IF eBay is the only route to market.
>
> Hint: it isn't. And the other routes to market haven't had this amount
> of a price increase.
>
> >
> > The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> > his price to cover his costs.
> >
> > I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
> > raise prices. It has always been thus.
>
> Of course, only eBay sellers have had this increase. Other routes to
> market have not.
>
> >
> > There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
> > There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
> > example.
>
> There are also competitive routes to market. eBay sellers have just been
> placed at a _relative_ disadvantage (compared to where they were before).

What other online auction sites are there? I know of two. They're not nearly the
size of eBay. I suppose someone could make the case that eBay is engaging in
monopolistic practices.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/gallery/200/
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:48:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <timberwoof-98D10F.19475615012005@typhoon.sonic.net>,
Timberwoof <timberwoof@stimpberawoofm.com> wrote:

> In article <trman-03FD45.19393715012005@news.central.cox.net>,
> TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <abc-8CE35A.17505715012005@28-76.newscene.com>,
> > Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <trman-8B211F.09375115012005@news.central.cox.net>,
> > > TravelinMan <trman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > > No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this
> > > > > do
> > > > > you not understand?
> > > >
> > > > The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by
> > > > the
> > > > market - not by the seller alone.
> > >
> > > Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> > > Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> > > Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> > > many are going to do that?
> >
> > That makes sense - IF eBay is the only route to market.
> >
> > Hint: it isn't. And the other routes to market haven't had this amount
> > of a price increase.
> >
> > >
> > > The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> > > his price to cover his costs.
> > >
> > > I can't believe you don't understand this. When costs go up, sellers
> > > raise prices. It has always been thus.
> >
> > Of course, only eBay sellers have had this increase. Other routes to
> > market have not.
> >
> > >
> > > There is more to the "market price" than the cost of the goods alone.
> > > There are other expenses and factors to consider. This is a prime
> > > example.
> >
> > There are also competitive routes to market. eBay sellers have just been
> > placed at a _relative_ disadvantage (compared to where they were before).
>
> What other online auction sites are there? I know of two. They're not nearly
> the
> size of eBay. I suppose someone could make the case that eBay is engaging in
> monopolistic practices.

Possibly, but difficult.

eBay sellers have to compete with Walmart, the Dollar Store, Amazon, and
the entire rest of the economy. That's why a price increase hits them
hard. As it is, I buy something on eBay if it's less expensive than
other sources. Usually it is, but only by a little. If the seller tries
to increase the price by enough to make up for eBay's increased fees, it
will probably make their products more expensive than the alternatives -
or at least not enough savings to make up for the hassle.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

RS wrote:

> Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up
> to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless
> its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.
>
>
For sure. However, I have gotten some pretty good deals at times as well.
--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:45:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <lCDFd.41$4Z6.4546@news.uswest.net>,
Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:
>If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%
>
>It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...
>
>This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...
>
>This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.
>
>Here's the problem (Story broke on Jan 12th)
>
>http://www.nolistingday.com/
>
>Sign here:
>
>http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ebayf...
>
>Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.

Vote with your dollars. If the prices get too high, don't buy stuff from
them.
--
"Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler."
-- Albert Einstein
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:25:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <teadams$2$0$0$3-D17A7F.20230415012005
@news1.east.earthlink.net>, teadams$2$0$0$3@earthlink.net says...
> > Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> > Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> > Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> > many are going to do that?
>
> You apparently think ebay is the only place people can buy stuff.
>
> >
> > The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> > his price to cover his costs.
>
> But if his prices are already as close to what somebody can buy the item
> for elsewhere, and he raises it - he looses the sales.
>
>

No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell
what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and
set the price accordingly.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:41:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c55cd43f2672a4b98a8d8@news.eastlink.ca>,
Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

> In article <teadams$2$0$0$3-D17A7F.20230415012005
> @news1.east.earthlink.net>, teadams$2$0$0$3@earthlink.net says...
> > > Right, and the cost of bringing the goods to the market just went up.
> > > Everyone else selling the same goods will also raise their prices.
> > > Their only other option is to absorb the loss. Do you *really* think
> > > many are going to do that?
> >
> > You apparently think ebay is the only place people can buy stuff.
> >
> > >
> > > The part that you don't seem to understand is that the seller will raise
> > > his price to cover his costs.
> >
> > But if his prices are already as close to what somebody can buy the item
> > for elsewhere, and he raises it - he looses the sales.
> >
> >
>
> No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell
> what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and
> set the price accordingly.

NO kidding?

So Walmart sets their prices by going to eBay to see what items are
selling for?

Wow. YOu learn something new every day.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-948E1C.11360417012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
Nowhere@spamfree.com says...
> >
> > No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell
> > what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and
> > set the price accordingly.
>
> NO kidding?
>
> So Walmart sets their prices by going to eBay to see what items are
> selling for?
>
> Wow. YOu learn something new every day.
>
>

Teach me oh great one, what used items does Walmart sell?
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
January 18, 2005 2:10:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <fS0Gd.47$dk1.3159@news.uswest.net>, Paul McCahan <mcahann@-NOSPAM-cs.com> wrote:
>Mike <abc@def.ghi> wrote:
>
>> But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to
>> cover these small increases. No one cares.
>>
>> Mike
>
>Wrong Mike. Sounds as if you know little about economics.
>
>An item that sells at auction for $10, like a set of 4 Lithium Batteries.
>
>Will still sell after February 18th for $10.
>
>PROBLEM is, the cost to sell those SAME Batteries has been raised by
>about .62¢!!! Not a nickel or a dime, but a LOT OF FREAKING Money.
>
>The buyer doesn't pay this fee, the SELLER DOES... you can't just raise
>your price... since PRICE is determined by the Market in and OUT of eBay.
>
>In other words, it will make it less viable to sell your stuff on eBay,
>thus less choice for buyers... This is a SERIOUS issues for the main
>reason that eBay is just a website... they don't have any real cost
>outside of maintaining a very complex server. They are spending money on
>expensive TV commercials, buying up Rent.com, Craig's List, without our
>approval, thus driving up OUR fees.
>
>If you sold on eBay you'd be raging mad, if you buy on ebay, it won't
>become clear that the show is going to get very quiet after Feb 18th.
>
>Lot's of people are leaving.
>
>http://www.nolistingday.com/closing_stores.htm
>
>ebay needs to solve this problem before it's too late.

The seller will just jack up his shipping price a buck. Do you honestly think
half the stuff that sells on Egay costs $15-$20 to ship yet most auctions
charge that much fro medium sized auction.

Problem solved.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

xlengr@mindspring.com shaped the electrons to say:
>RS wrote:
>> Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up
>> to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless
>> its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.
>For sure. However, I have gotten some pretty good deals at times as well.

I have found good deals there over the years. The trick is to NOT let
yourself get caught up in a bidding frenzy. If the price goes too high
- walk away.

I also unabashedly snipe. I don't care what people think. It is
pointless to toss in a bid early on and keep bidding it up. I'll wait
and jump in at the last minute, unless the price has already gone too
high. I've been called many nasty things - I still won. And I do it
manually to be fair, not using eSnipe, or tools like that.

When I sell things I have had people bid on my old VHS tapes, etc, and
drive the price up not only higher than retail - but higher than DVD
retail (which is generally why I sell VHS, because I bought the DVD),
before shipping. And I usually put the original MSRP right in the
listing, making it doubly dumb. :-)

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:47:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <Nowhere-948E1C.11360417012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
TravelinMan wrote:
>> No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell
>> what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and
>> set the price accordingly.
>
> NO kidding?
>
> So Walmart sets their prices by going to eBay to see what items are
> selling for?
>
> Wow. YOu learn something new every day.

Yes, you do. Until your post, I was unaware that Walmart sold used goods.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:47:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <NF%Gd.820$Ju1.601
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, reply_in_group@mouse-
potato.com says...
> In article <Nowhere-948E1C.11360417012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
> TravelinMan wrote:
> >> No, that's not how it works. When someone has something used to sell
> >> what's the first thing they do. Check how much it goes for on ebay and
> >> set the price accordingly.
> >
> > NO kidding?
> >
> > So Walmart sets their prices by going to eBay to see what items are
> > selling for?
> >
> > Wow. YOu learn something new every day.
>
> Yes, you do. Until your post, I was unaware that Walmart sold used goods.

Yeah, and I was unaware that e-bay sold new stuff. Go
figure.

--
Cam
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:37:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:55:51 -0500, Invid Fan <invid@localnet.com>
wrote:

>
>From what I've seen on Ebay, this is probably a reaction to sellers
>listing products at a rediculously low price and making all the profit
>from the shipping cost. Not unusual to see a buy now price of $1 and
>$10 in shipping fees, of which Ebay gets nothing.

But won't this practice get *worse* as sellers attempt to recoup fees
in inflated shipping costs? For all my listings I add a
"shipping/packaging/listing & paypal fee".

JW
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <t18pu0d4l65u8p804p0652eqc2m714hj5u@4ax.com>, elvis2000
@ElvisLives.com says...
> Subject: Re: FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!
> From: ELVIS2000 <elvis2000@ElvisLives.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, alt.video.ptv.tivo, rec.video.desktop, alt.autos.subaru
>
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:55:51 -0500, Invid Fan <invid@localnet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >From what I've seen on Ebay, this is probably a reaction to sellers
> >listing products at a rediculously low price and making all the profit
> >from the shipping cost. Not unusual to see a buy now price of $1 and
> >$10 in shipping fees, of which Ebay gets nothing.
>
> But won't this practice get *worse* as sellers attempt to recoup fees
> in inflated shipping costs? For all my listings I add a
> "shipping/packaging/listing & paypal fee".
>
> JW
>
>

I already see some sellers charging $30 for regular mail within the US
on 1 pound items so I don't know how much worse it could get :) 
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

MegaZone wrote:

> xlengr@mindspring.com shaped the electrons to say:
>
>>RS wrote:
>>
>>>Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up
>>>to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless
>>>its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.
>>
>>For sure. However, I have gotten some pretty good deals at times as well.
>
>
> I have found good deals there over the years. The trick is to NOT let
> yourself get caught up in a bidding frenzy. If the price goes too high
> - walk away.
>
> I also unabashedly snipe. I don't care what people think. It is
> pointless to toss in a bid early on and keep bidding it up. I'll wait
> and jump in at the last minute, unless the price has already gone too
> high. I've been called many nasty things - I still won. And I do it
> manually to be fair, not using eSnipe, or tools like that.
>
> When I sell things I have had people bid on my old VHS tapes, etc, and
> drive the price up not only higher than retail - but higher than DVD
> retail (which is generally why I sell VHS, because I bought the DVD),
> before shipping. And I usually put the original MSRP right in the
> listing, making it doubly dumb. :-)
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
Yeah, it is pointless to even bid on an item until the last 30 seconds
or so. I do not understand that mentality. I wait to the end and then
manually bid the maximum I am willing to spend. If I win, great, if not
so be it.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
January 20, 2005 6:37:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <wqNHd.5917$8u5.4282@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it is pointless to even bid on an item until the last 30 seconds
> or so. I do not understand that mentality. I wait to the end and then
> manually bid the maximum I am willing to spend. If I win, great, if not
> so be it.

I rarely bid on anything. 98% of the things I buy from eBay use BIN.
If the BIN is reasonable, I'll do it. If there is no BIN, I'll keep
looking until I find one.

This avoids all of the snipers, shills, excessive bidding, etc. I buy
quite a lot of stuff from eBay this way.

Mike
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:40:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:53:29 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:

>
>I already see some sellers charging $30 for regular mail within the US
>on 1 pound items so I don't know how much worse it could get :) 
>--

If you believe in basic economics, then the bid prices should be lower
as a result. Ebay, by taking a higher percentage, and sellers, by
therefore charging higher shipping, will drive prices down.

JW
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:41:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.desktop,alt.autos.subaru (More info?)

In article <g2mnv0htu3mi2ipb54pfvd39p8slsdfrk0@4ax.com>, elvis2000
@ElvisLives.com says...
> Subject: Re: FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!
> From: ELVIS2000 <elvis2000@ElvisLives.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy, alt.video.ptv.tivo, rec.video.desktop, alt.autos.subaru
>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:53:29 GMT, Chris Phillipo
> <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >I already see some sellers charging $30 for regular mail within the US
> >on 1 pound items so I don't know how much worse it could get :) 
> >--
>
> If you believe in basic economics, then the bid prices should be lower
> as a result. Ebay, by taking a higher percentage, and sellers, by
> therefore charging higher shipping, will drive prices down.
>
> JW
>
>

Unfortunately we are talking about the irrational world of bidding here.
Where people will bid the price of something to above retail value just
to beat the other guy.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
!