I have a laptop that has been running Windows XP Home edition and VPN was set
up to access our server at work. Everything was going fine until corporate IT
realized that I had the Home Edition on the laptop and told me that I had to
have Windows 2000 or XP Pro as per company policy. I purchased the XP Pro
upgrade and installed it and everything works fine except I lost my VPN. I
cannot delete the old connection and if I attempt create a new connection,
when I get to the wizard screen to select a VPN connection, it is completely
disabled. I have gone through and checked all of the settings and can't find
anything out of place.

I have a spare hard drive for my laptop which I installed XP Pro from
scratch off of an OEM CD and the same thing happens. The laptop is a new
Toshiba. I also have a drive for it that boots with Win 2K Pro and the VPN on
it works fine, so it isn't a hardware issue.

No one in the IT department has run across this so I thought that I would
try here. I have gone through the first 15 or so pages of this newsgroup and
found nothing on this problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

John Vaccaro

Problem solved! After checking everything that I possibly could (including
matching settings on systems that have XP Pro and work), I decided to check
with Toshiba to see if they had anything in their KB on my particular model.
After hitting a block wall there, I remembered the NT days and decided to
reinstall Service Pack 1. For those of you who remember NT 3.5 and 4.0 you
had to do this each time you installed or upgraded hardware and some software
to keep it working correctly. Well, I guess XP is really built on NT
technology, because that cleared the problem. VPN is now working fine.