Super 8 film transfer ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2005 12:32:27 AM

How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
MiniDV.

I still have a working projector and a screen.

So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.

My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
pick up the projector noises.

I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
(with Pinnacle Studio)

Is this the best way ???

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

More about : super film transfer

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:49:40 AM

The main problem you are going to have is screen flicker.. The camera
and projecter are moving at different framerates and its very apparent
when you try to capture this way.. You either need to be able to adjust
the framerate of the camera or projector to get them in synch..
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:08:41 AM

"RideRT" <riderbmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
> MiniDV.
>
> I still have a working projector and a screen.
>
> So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my
camcorder
> on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
>
> My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it
will
> pick up the projector noises.
>
> I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
> (with Pinnacle Studio)
>
> Is this the best way ???
>
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Thanks

This company: http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page22.html offers a
telecine machine for this purpose. It provides quality shooting off a screen
cannot.
You could contact Clive Tobin and ask him for referrals to people who have
bought it.
Perhaps there is someone out there who's willing to do your film.
January 14, 2005 8:33:37 AM

If you're satisfied with the video quality, one way to mute the sound
pick-up is to plug a "dummy" plug into the mic jack. Another would be
to let it record the noise then remove it when editing. (Most editors
should let you separate the audio and video). Hope this helps.

-Marty

RideRT wrote:
> How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
> MiniDV.
>
> I still have a working projector and a screen.
>
> So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
> on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
>
> My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
> pick up the projector noises.
>
> I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
> (with Pinnacle Studio)
>
> Is this the best way ???
>
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:36:58 AM

Me, again... I just noticed you said your camera didn't have a jack, so
scratch my "dummy" jack solution. (It's late and I'm not paying
attention!). Sorry.

-Marty

RideRT wrote:

> How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
> MiniDV.
>
> I still have a working projector and a screen.
>
> So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
> on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
>
> My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
> pick up the projector noises.
>
> I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
> (with Pinnacle Studio)
>
> Is this the best way ???
>
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:15:36 AM

Forget the projection screen. Buy a sheet of white matte posterboard
and tape it to the wall. Adjust the projector frame to about the size
of a standard sheet of paper. If your camcorder has 'steady shot' or
something similar, turn it off. Zoom the camcorder to allow about a 10%
boarder around the film frame to allow for the TV's overscan. (If you
fill the camcorder's frame the TV will crop the edges of the film.)
Variable speed projectors are best so that you can adjust the film
frame rate to match your camcorders to help reduce the flicker. You may
also be able to lengthen the camcorders exposure to reduce flicker even
more.

Good luck and have fun!
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:20:40 AM

Forgot to mention you'll also need to turn the auto-focus off.
January 14, 2005 1:15:42 PM

Record, capture, render the video tracks only.

Assuming that this project is simply to preserve old films and that quality
is not your prime concern.

"RideRT" <riderbmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
> MiniDV.
>
> I still have a working projector and a screen.
>
> So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my
camcorder
> on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
>
> My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it
will
> pick up the projector noises.
>
> I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
> (with Pinnacle Studio)
>
> Is this the best way ???
>
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:00:23 PM

Thanks to all - I will turn offf both auto-focus as well.

Really only looking to preserve memories... my honeymoon for 1974... and
some films when the kids were little...

Much appreciated.

DS

!