Super 8 film transfer ?

How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
MiniDV.

I still have a working projector and a screen.

So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.

My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
pick up the projector noises.

I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
(with Pinnacle Studio)

Is this the best way ???

Any other ideas ?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about super film transfer

    The main problem you are going to have is screen flicker.. The camera
    and projecter are moving at different framerates and its very apparent
    when you try to capture this way.. You either need to be able to adjust
    the framerate of the camera or projector to get them in synch..

    "RideRT" <riderbmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
    > MiniDV.
    >
    > I still have a working projector and a screen.
    >
    > So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my
    camcorder
    > on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
    >
    > My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it
    will
    > pick up the projector noises.
    >
    > I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
    > (with Pinnacle Studio)
    >
    > Is this the best way ???
    >
    > Any other ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks

    This company: http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page22.html offers a
    telecine machine for this purpose. It provides quality shooting off a screen
    cannot.
    You could contact Clive Tobin and ask him for referrals to people who have
    bought it.
    Perhaps there is someone out there who's willing to do your film.

    If you're satisfied with the video quality, one way to mute the sound
    pick-up is to plug a "dummy" plug into the mic jack. Another would be
    to let it record the noise then remove it when editing. (Most editors
    should let you separate the audio and video). Hope this helps.

    -Marty

    RideRT wrote:
    > How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
    > MiniDV.
    >
    > I still have a working projector and a screen.
    >
    > So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
    > on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
    >
    > My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
    > pick up the projector noises.
    >
    > I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
    > (with Pinnacle Studio)
    >
    > Is this the best way ???
    >
    > Any other ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Me, again... I just noticed you said your camera didn't have a jack, so
    scratch my "dummy" jack solution. (It's late and I'm not paying
    attention!). Sorry.

    -Marty

    RideRT wrote:

    > How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
    > MiniDV.
    >
    > I still have a working projector and a screen.
    >
    > So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my camcorder
    > on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
    >
    > My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it will
    > pick up the projector noises.
    >
    > I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
    > (with Pinnacle Studio)
    >
    > Is this the best way ???
    >
    > Any other ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Forget the projection screen. Buy a sheet of white matte posterboard
    and tape it to the wall. Adjust the projector frame to about the size
    of a standard sheet of paper. If your camcorder has 'steady shot' or
    something similar, turn it off. Zoom the camcorder to allow about a 10%
    boarder around the film frame to allow for the TV's overscan. (If you
    fill the camcorder's frame the TV will crop the edges of the film.)
    Variable speed projectors are best so that you can adjust the film
    frame rate to match your camcorders to help reduce the flicker. You may
    also be able to lengthen the camcorders exposure to reduce flicker even
    more.

    Good luck and have fun!

    Forgot to mention you'll also need to turn the auto-focus off.

    Record, capture, render the video tracks only.

    Assuming that this project is simply to preserve old films and that quality
    is not your prime concern.

    "RideRT" <riderbmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How would you suggest I transfer some old Super 8 film (no sound) to my
    > MiniDV.
    >
    > I still have a working projector and a screen.
    >
    > So I was thinking of setting up in a darken room, and mounting my
    camcorder
    > on a tripod, soom in and frame as best as I can, and tape the film.
    >
    > My camera (Canon ZR85) does not have an external mike connector, so it
    will
    > pick up the projector noises.
    >
    > I was planning of replacing the noise with music soundtrack, in editing
    > (with Pinnacle Studio)
    >
    > Is this the best way ???
    >
    > Any other ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks to all - I will turn offf both auto-focus as well.

    Really only looking to preserve memories... my honeymoon for 1974... and
    some films when the kids were little...

    Much appreciated.

    DS

    "David_T (MO)" <d_thomas02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Forgot to mention you'll also need to turn the auto-focus off.

Tuner Cards Projector Graphics