DC10+ error - help please.

I have Studio DC10+ running under Windows ME. I've been using it to edit my
videos for about 4 years. Recently I have not been able to use it.

When I try and run the application I get the error message:
"This capture hardware is not enabled to run the Studio editing application.
Please reinstall the Studio DC10+ software from the CD-ROM."

When I run the Hardware Test, the board functions is showing:
"Error at video decoder"

I've reinstalled the software as directed, also re-seated the card on the
board, but still get the same error.

I'm now stumped. To use a car analogy for video editing - I'm a driver
rather than a mechanic in these things.

I did log a request on the Pinnacle site, but received a rather helpful
(NOT) message saying that DC10+ is no longer supported. There was a kind
offer to upgrade to Studio Plus v9 for 69? (I don't know whether that is £
or $) but that offer expired in December anyway.

I am planning to upgrade my PC in March to XP, but understand that drivers
are not available for XP for the DC10+. I was planning to capture all my
outstanding video before then.
I would be reluctant to lose the £150 that DC10+ cost when I bought it. I
don't feel that I've had my money's worth out of it yet for the use I've had
from it.

Any pointers to solving this problem would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mike Parmley wrote:
> I have Studio DC10+ running under Windows ME. I've been using it to
edit my
> videos for about 4 years. Recently I have not been able to use it.
>
> When I try and run the application I get the error message:
> "This capture hardware is not enabled to run the Studio editing
application.
> Please reinstall the Studio DC10+ software from the CD-ROM."
>
> When I run the Hardware Test, the board functions is showing:
> "Error at video decoder"
>
> I've reinstalled the software as directed, also re-seated the card on
the
> board, but still get the same error.
>
> I'm now stumped. To use a car analogy for video editing - I'm a
driver
> rather than a mechanic in these things.
>
> I did log a request on the Pinnacle site, but received a rather
helpful
> (NOT) message saying that DC10+ is no longer supported. There was a
kind
> offer to upgrade to Studio Plus v9 for 69? (I don't know whether that
is £
> or $) but that offer expired in December anyway.
>
> I am planning to upgrade my PC in March to XP, but understand that
drivers
> are not available for XP for the DC10+. I was planning to capture all
my
> outstanding video before then.
> I would be reluctant to lose the £150 that DC10+ cost when I bought
it. I
> don't feel that I've had my money's worth out of it yet for the use
I've had
> from it.
>
> Any pointers to solving this problem would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Mike

I found what appears to be an update for Studio DC10+ (to version 1.06)
and an update that appears to be a driver for Win xp.

There is also a utility for cleaning up the windows registry to ensure
that the software is completely removed.

I would have another shot at Pinnacle tech support. Even if the board
is not supported they should be able to identify the error.

I dont know if they are supported by Pinnacle software but you can get
a reasonable capture card now for under $50 us.
I would get winme to delete the hardware and reinstall the drivers.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:52:18 -0000, "Mike Parmley"
<publicclothes@parmley.plus.com> wrote:

>I have Studio DC10+ running under Windows ME. I've been using it to edit my
>videos for about 4 years. Recently I have not been able to use it.
>
>When I try and run the application I get the error message:
>"This capture hardware is not enabled to run the Studio editing application.
>Please reinstall the Studio DC10+ software from the CD-ROM."
>
>When I run the Hardware Test, the board functions is showing:
>"Error at video decoder"
>
>I've reinstalled the software as directed, also re-seated the card on the
>board, but still get the same error.
>
>I'm now stumped. To use a car analogy for video editing - I'm a driver
>rather than a mechanic in these things.
>
>I did log a request on the Pinnacle site, but received a rather helpful
>(NOT) message saying that DC10+ is no longer supported. There was a kind
>offer to upgrade to Studio Plus v9 for 69? (I don't know whether that is £
>or $) but that offer expired in December anyway.
>
>I am planning to upgrade my PC in March to XP, but understand that drivers
>are not available for XP for the DC10+. I was planning to capture all my
>outstanding video before then.
>I would be reluctant to lose the £150 that DC10+ cost when I bought it. I
>don't feel that I've had my money's worth out of it yet for the use I've had
>from it.
>
>Any pointers to solving this problem would be gratefully appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Mike

Using your theory about not want to give up on old, outdated,
unsupported hardware is just not realistic, especially since you are
even talking about upgrading your computer. Probably everyone in
these newsgroups have a heck of a lot more expensive hardware and
software that will never be used again. Old analog capture devices
are one of the more usless items since there are newer, more effecient
and cheaper hardware out there that will do the job when you upgrade.
I quess anyone still using Windows ME would think that way.