Shadwo no longer work with WixXP SP2

Hello!!

We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
session with the following command:
shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)

We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed, we get
an "acces denied" error.

Any idea?

Regards,
Christian

Camacho, Christian wrote:
> We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
> session with the following command:
> shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)
>
> We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed,
> we get an "acces denied" error.

First - I did not know you could shadow remote local sessions on Windows XP
at all.
Second - have you configured the "automatically on" firewall appropriately
to allow such traffic?

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Shenan,

Yes that's possible (see references below).
I don't know the "automatically on" feature in the firewall. How do I set
it? (I manually disabled the firewall from the panel control to discard this
kind of issues).

Regards,
Christian

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22shadow+0+/server:%22&hl=es&lr=&selm=rslikv48b7b4bkfu2buooohutbpfsdb79h%404ax.com&rnum=1
http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=126314&cid=10574052

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Camacho, Christian wrote:
> > We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
> > session with the following command:
> > shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)
> >
> > We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed,
> > we get an "acces denied" error.
>
> First - I did not know you could shadow remote local sessions on Windows
XP
> at all.
> Second - have you configured the "automatically on" firewall appropriately
> to allow such traffic?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

You need to enable the Remote Desktop exception in the Windows
Firewall...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:59:55 -0300, "Camacho, Christian"
<chris@na.com> wrote:

>Hello!!
>
>We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
>session with the following command:
>shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)
>
>We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed, we get
>an "acces denied" error.
>
>Any idea?
>
>Regards,
>Christian

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, we did enable that exception (TCP 3389 port), we also disabled the
firewall.

We can connect to the computer using remote desktop client, but we no longer
connect to the same computer using the shadow command (from a remote desktop
session in a different computer).

Regards,
Christian

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
escribió en el mensaje news:5quip05ov0j01qrrv89bovgvjk9vre07v3@4ax.com...
> You need to enable the Remote Desktop exception in the Windows
> Firewall...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:59:55 -0300, "Camacho, Christian"
> <chris@na.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello!!
> >
> >We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
> >session with the following command:
> >shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)
> >
> >We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed, we
get
> >an "acces denied" error.
> >
> >Any idea?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Christian

OK... Lets try a test...

Are you able to get to the Computer Management console of the remote
computer (by running compmgmt.msc and then select the Connect To
Remote Computer option)? I have found that you will not be able to
use the shadow functionality if you can't connect to the Computer
Management console...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:00:14 -0300, "Camacho, Christian"
<chris@na.com> wrote:

>Hi Jeffrey,
>
>Yes, we did enable that exception (TCP 3389 port), we also disabled the
>firewall.
>
>We can connect to the computer using remote desktop client, but we no longer
>connect to the same computer using the shadow command (from a remote desktop
>session in a different computer).
>
>Regards,
>Christian
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
>escribió en el mensaje news:5quip05ov0j01qrrv89bovgvjk9vre07v3@4ax.com...
>> You need to enable the Remote Desktop exception in the Windows
>> Firewall...
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows Network Technology Community -
>>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
>> Windows Home Networking Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:59:55 -0300, "Camacho, Christian"
>> <chris@na.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello!!
>> >
>> >We do remote control to our WinXP SP1 computers shadowing the console
>> >session with the following command:
>> >shadow 0 /server:hostip (from a remote desktop session)
>> >
>> >We no longer can remote control computers with WinXP SP2 installed, we
>get
>> >an "acces denied" error.
>> >
>> >Any idea?
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >Christian

Hi,

The solution is to add a value in the registry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
Value Name: AllowRemoteRPC
Value Type: DWORD Value
Value Data: 1

Regards,