sending DVD to Malaysia

blah wrote:
> Will a DVD+R that I make in the U.S. play in a DVD in Malaysia? I
> wasn't sure if the regional coding is a factor.
>
> Thanks!

Region coding is an issue with commercial discs only. Home made ones are
nor affected by it.

Mike

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:47:23 -0800, "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:

>Will a DVD+R that I make in the U.S. play in a DVD in Malaysia? I wasn't
>sure if the regional coding is a factor.

If it is you that made it, with regular authoring programs, I don'
think it's going to have any regional limitation. But does Malaysia
also use NTSC, or compatible devices?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> blah wrote:
>> Thanks. They may use PAL? Would that be a problem?
>

> It might and it might not. A lot of video equipment (TVs, VCRs, DVD
> players) in PAL countries (which Malaysia is) can handle playback of NTSC
> material. It's always best to ask before you send anything to avoid
> problems.
>
> Mike

Wait, according to an earlier response there is not such thing as NTSC or
PAL when we record something ourselves (in other words, the coding is added
by the studios normally)? Or, did I misunderstand?

blah wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> blah wrote:
>>> Thanks. They may use PAL? Would that be a problem?
>>

>> It might and it might not. A lot of video equipment (TVs, VCRs, DVD
>> players) in PAL countries (which Malaysia is) can handle playback of
>> NTSC material. It's always best to ask before you send anything to
>> avoid problems.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Wait, according to an earlier response there is not such thing as
> NTSC or PAL when we record something ourselves (in other words, the
> coding is added by the studios normally)? Or, did I misunderstand?

You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers to
prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.
Video formats are another issue entirely. It used to be that you could not
send an NTSC program to a PAL country and expect them to play it. Equipment
manufacturers are now supplying the PAL market with TVs, VCRs and DVD
players that are capable of playback of NTSC material. It will not look as
good as the original but at least it works. It would be great if the same
equipment playback options were offered in NTSC land :-(

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers to
>prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
>played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.
>Video formats are another issue entirely. It used to be that you could not
>send an NTSC program to a PAL country and expect them to play it. Equipment
>manufacturers are now supplying the PAL market with TVs, VCRs and DVD
>players that are capable of playback of NTSC material. It will not look as
>good as the original but at least it works. It would be great if the same
>equipment playback options were offered in NTSC land :-(

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, I think I should add that
NTSC vs. PAL is not an issue when playing back on a computer.

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

> You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers
> prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
> played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.

Just wanted to clarify this. No discs are region locked by default or
automatically. Unless you manually set this, the region option is unlocked.
Only higher end dvd authoring software such as Adobe Encore and up give you
the capability of locking the region on dvds.

Cory

NTSC plays back on any new PAL vcr or dvd player these days. It's
really easy to output a "fake" PAL signal from NTSC sourced material,
much easier than vice-versa.

Having said that, you can buy a DVD player in the US for less than 100
bucks that will play any disc, from any region, in any format, on your
NTSC TV with extremely little artifacting.

Ian

On 19 Jan 2005 20:29:01 -0800, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

>NTSC plays back on any new PAL vcr or dvd player these days. It's
>really easy to output a "fake" PAL signal from NTSC sourced material,
>much easier than vice-versa.
>
>Having said that, you can buy a DVD player in the US for less than 100
>bucks that will play any disc, from any region, in any format, on your
>NTSC TV with extremely little artifacting.

I bought a Koss DVD player from Sears the other day for 39.99, a quick
google and several strange key sequences on the remote later I have an
region unlocked, plays just about anything (PAL & NTSC) player.

Ian