sending DVD to Malaysia

Will a DVD+R that I make in the U.S. play in a DVD in Malaysia? I wasn't
sure if the regional coding is a factor.

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about sending malaysia

    blah wrote:
    > Will a DVD+R that I make in the U.S. play in a DVD in Malaysia? I
    > wasn't sure if the regional coding is a factor.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Region coding is an issue with commercial discs only. Home made ones are
    nor affected by it.

    Mike

    Thanks

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:47:23 -0800, "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:

    >Will a DVD+R that I make in the U.S. play in a DVD in Malaysia? I wasn't
    >sure if the regional coding is a factor.

    If it is you that made it, with regular authoring programs, I don'
    think it's going to have any regional limitation. But does Malaysia
    also use NTSC, or compatible devices?

    > blah wrote:
    >> Thanks. They may use PAL? Would that be a problem?
    >

    > It might and it might not. A lot of video equipment (TVs, VCRs, DVD
    > players) in PAL countries (which Malaysia is) can handle playback of NTSC
    > material. It's always best to ask before you send anything to avoid
    > problems.
    >
    > Mike

    Wait, according to an earlier response there is not such thing as NTSC or
    PAL when we record something ourselves (in other words, the coding is added
    by the studios normally)? Or, did I misunderstand?

    blah wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> blah wrote:
    >>> Thanks. They may use PAL? Would that be a problem?
    >>

    >> It might and it might not. A lot of video equipment (TVs, VCRs, DVD
    >> players) in PAL countries (which Malaysia is) can handle playback of
    >> NTSC material. It's always best to ask before you send anything to
    >> avoid problems.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
    > Wait, according to an earlier response there is not such thing as
    > NTSC or PAL when we record something ourselves (in other words, the
    > coding is added by the studios normally)? Or, did I misunderstand?

    You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers to
    prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
    played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.
    Video formats are another issue entirely. It used to be that you could not
    send an NTSC program to a PAL country and expect them to play it. Equipment
    manufacturers are now supplying the PAL market with TVs, VCRs and DVD
    players that are capable of playback of NTSC material. It will not look as
    good as the original but at least it works. It would be great if the same
    equipment playback options were offered in NTSC land :-(

    Mike

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers to
    >prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
    >played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.
    >Video formats are another issue entirely. It used to be that you could not
    >send an NTSC program to a PAL country and expect them to play it. Equipment
    >manufacturers are now supplying the PAL market with TVs, VCRs and DVD
    >players that are capable of playback of NTSC material. It will not look as
    >good as the original but at least it works. It would be great if the same
    >equipment playback options were offered in NTSC land :-(

    Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, I think I should add that
    NTSC vs. PAL is not an issue when playing back on a computer.

    > You did misunderstand. Region coding is something added by manufacturers
    > prevent a disc released in (for example) Australia from being able to be
    > played in England. As I recall, it's an issue of distribution rights.

    Just wanted to clarify this. No discs are region locked by default or
    automatically. Unless you manually set this, the region option is unlocked.
    Only higher end dvd authoring software such as Adobe Encore and up give you
    the capability of locking the region on dvds.

    Cory

    NTSC plays back on any new PAL vcr or dvd player these days. It's
    really easy to output a "fake" PAL signal from NTSC sourced material,
    much easier than vice-versa.

    Having said that, you can buy a DVD player in the US for less than 100
    bucks that will play any disc, from any region, in any format, on your
    NTSC TV with extremely little artifacting.

    On 19 Jan 2005 20:29:01 -0800, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

    >NTSC plays back on any new PAL vcr or dvd player these days. It's
    >really easy to output a "fake" PAL signal from NTSC sourced material,
    >much easier than vice-versa.
    >
    >Having said that, you can buy a DVD player in the US for less than 100
    >bucks that will play any disc, from any region, in any format, on your
    >NTSC TV with extremely little artifacting.

    I bought a Koss DVD player from Sears the other day for 39.99, a quick
    google and several strange key sequences on the remote later I have an
    region unlocked, plays just about anything (PAL & NTSC) player.

    Ian

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics